what goes in this hole?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

redstone65
United States of America

what goes in this hole?

Post by redstone65 »

I have an unidentified hole in my dash. Any info on what used to go here? Was it the windshield squirter button?

Dave

1965 F-100 Flareside (240 6-cyl)
3 speed. Former military truck.
slick4x4
United States of America

Re: what goes in this hole?

Post by slick4x4 »

Knob & cable that goes to vent door on drivers side
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
grump

Post by grump »

On my 66 it is where the windshield washer button is. My vent is a hinged door with a locking latch that you manually open. As far as I know my truck is bone stock. Mine is a 66 and I don't know if all years had a washer button. That hole doesn't look quite the same as mine, mine is smaller.
redstone65
United States of America

Post by redstone65 »

Mine has the locking, manual vent doors also so I don’t think a cable would work unless I’m missing a peice of the puzzle. I saw a 63 that definitely had a lever there so maybe it changed in 65/66?
Dave

ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

My 63 has the lever there for the vents.
The 65 I used to have didn’t even have that hole punched out. My 66 had those holes filled with metal plates that clipped in. I believe my father in law’s 66 doesn’t have those holes punched out. The 65 and 66’s I’ve mentioned both have the manual vent latches.
Maybe the hole was factory preference?
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
redstone65
United States of America

Post by redstone65 »

ThinLizzy13 wrote:My 63 has the lever there for the vents.
The 65 I used to have didn’t even have that hole punched out. My 66 had those holes filled with metal plates that clipped in. I believe my father in law’s 66 doesn’t have those holes punched out. The 65 and 66’s I’ve mentioned both have the manual vent latches.
Maybe the hole was factory preference?
Maybe so. What's odd is that I have factory windshield squirters and pump on the truck, but there is no button anywhere to trigger them. The wire comes through the firewall and is just hanging behind the gauge cluster, not attached to anything.
Dave

Gravemetal
Canada

Post by Gravemetal »

64 and older the hole is for the vent latches. Some 65 4x4 and 66 F250 4x4 may also use the cable operated vent as they use the 64 style cab. In 65 to mid 66 4x2 the hole is for the windshield squirter if you have 2 spd wipers. Mid 66 the squirter is integral to the wiper switch. For those above whom claim to have no hole punched, just a boss, it is because you have single speed wipers in a standard cab model 65-66. Hope this helps with confusion :burp:
Ford... the other four letter "F" word

Chevrolet: Condition hopeless entire vehicle runs on leftover engine technology

Six cylinders make farting sounds
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Someone trimmed that hole to fit a different item possibly. Below is a photo of my 63 dash prior to me putting my vent pull cable knob back in. The bottom hole is the ignition.

The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Gravemetal wrote:64 and older the hole is for the vent latches. Some 65 4x4 and 66 F250 4x4 may also use the cable operated vent as they use the 64 style cab. In 65 to mid 66 4x2 the hole is for the windshield squirter if you have 2 spd wipers. Mid 66 the squirter is integral to the wiper switch. For those above whom claim to have no hole punched, just a boss, it is because you have single speed wipers in a standard cab model 65-66. Hope this helps with confusion :burp:
My 65 F-100 with single speed wipers used to have the squirter buton there, but the hole is not cut out as big as his the original posters.
Chris
redstone65
United States of America

Post by redstone65 »

Now I'm wondering if I order a replacement button part, if it will even fit.

I found this: https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_truc ... craft.html

Does this assembly look like the ones y'all have/had?
Dave

Gravemetal
Canada

Post by Gravemetal »

I suppose his hole looks a bit big. As far goes 65-66 buttons I suppose maybe the squirter is optional as not all trucks had it. A dead give away is whether or not the hood has nozzles. Any momentary push button will work the squirter pump so long as the amp rating is high enough. If you want the factory look you may have to weld up the hole a bit.

Gravemetal
Canada

Post by Gravemetal »

Well I went and looked at my parts truck and surprise surprise it has a squirter in it. The switch is exactly as the op has found on the internet and my hole looks the same as the op. April your hole is smaller as it is for the cable vent system. I did a quick and poopie finger in the hole and measure finger later and came up with 15/16" diameter. If needed I can use a caliper to measure on the weekend. I have pics of it all but cannot post to this site as I do not upload photos to cloud storage. If redstone65 shoots me his email I can send them directly.