Drum brakes question

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

shipwrecked
United States of America

Drum brakes question

Post by shipwrecked »

Is this right?

About two years ago when I took off the brakes, I bagged and tagged it all.

This is a front

Manual

What was in the rear.

No cable adjuster like on newer models.

How do these adjust over time? Manually?

As I put these on, I’m really really considering biting the bullet $$$ and buying the disc.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Re: Drum brakes question

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

SEE April years ago you brought your truck in for service which meant, oil change, grease job, etc.. then brake adjustment as well,, what I would do is get the hardware for later truck that has it for automatic brake adjuster kits so when you put in reverse they do that for you,, I am not sure buy I think 1967 was the first year and if so then that's the same shoes/drums as the 61/66 trucks
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Tom, makes sense.

I’ll look into it.

For now, I’m fighting a battle against brake shoes that don’t want to sit right on the fresh backing plates. I bent the hell out of a nail when I installed one set. Need to replace that nail today. I was doing this all day yesterday.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

shipwrecked wrote:Tom, makes sense.

I’ll look into it.

For now, I’m fighting a battle against brake shoes that don’t want to sit right on the fresh backing plates. I bent the hell out of a nail when I installed one set. Need to replace that nail today. I was doing this all day yesterday.
Look at your star adjusters threads. The self adjuster type will be right and left hand threads with the left hand thread on the right (passenger) side. I do not remember if the manual adjusters are all right hand thread or not. In either case I have just exposed my lack of maintenance on my 65 F-250 stock brake system.
Chris
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Tom, some slicks had self-adjusters at least by 1964. I don't have my '61 manual here to check if they were available earlier. As you stated, the hardware is interchangeable.
April, If going with new hardware, by all means , order for a '64 with self-adjusters. If you already have the new non-self adjusting hardware, I wouldn't worry about it. They don't require adjustment that often, and it's a good reason to do a brake inspection when needed.
Just a note, you may have noticed on the FB forums, the photos in the '65 and '66 service manuals are incorrect, parts and positions are mis-labeled. The direction of rotation arrows are also missing from the '66 manual drawings, leading to potential mis-assembly. Funny part is the same drawing number is used in the '64 manual, and it is correct.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Toyz wrote:Tom, some slicks had self-adjusters at least by 1964. I don't have my '61 manual here to check if they were available earlier. As you stated, the hardware is interchangeable.
April, If going with new hardware, by all means , order for a '64 with self-adjusters. If you already have the new non-self adjusting hardware, I wouldn't worry about it. They don't require adjustment that often, and it's a good reason to do a brake inspection when needed.
Just a note, you may have noticed on the FB forums, the photos in the '65 and '66 service manuals are incorrect, parts and positions are mis-labeled. The direction of rotation arrows are also missing from the '66 manual drawings, leading to potential mis-assembly. Funny part is the same drawing number is used in the '64 manual, and it is correct.
Paul
Paul,
I have an all drum 65 F250 with a Dana 60. Would I be right getting self adjusting hardware for a 67?
Thanks
Chris
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

Chris401 - my 66 F250 and 67 F250 used the same hardware.
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

ThinLizzy13 wrote:Chris401 - my 66 F250 and 67 F250 used the same hardware.
Thanks.
Chris