Well I went and did it

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

uglyblue66

Well I went and did it

Post by uglyblue66 »

Long story short, :D I have saw a car in the woods near home here since I was a kid.I went and bought it today at auction.1947 Pontiac streamliner coupe.6 banger,3 on tree.floor boards and trunk floor shot to heck but fixable.Damage to front crossmember that I didnt know about till I got it home :shock: .I will have to really engineer something on that.
Complete car but been parked a LONG time.
Wish me luck.I aint gona do much to it at the time.mostly tinker and preserve it till I get a decent shop to work on it in.

I will be in the market for fender skirts,and a windshield visor for it.I aint fiqured out the photo posting thing here yet.But it is a off topic vehical.But I thought I would share the happiness.I invested my stimulas check and a bit more in it.
Better to invest it in American Iron than send it to china to be made into cheap junk.
Our cow kicked the bucket,so we dont need anymore Bull.:>)
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

Good luck, sounds like you've got a job ahead of you. I wish you could put up some pics. I would like to see how bad the crossmember is.
Jim
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Them streamliners of that era of GM are an acquired taste
I am sure surprised it ain't a straight 8 tho
Best o luck Mack. Is it a knee action front end or a straight axle that is boogered?
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
uglyblue66

Post by uglyblue66 »

it is a independant suspenstion a frame looking thing.it is stock.
The center of the crossmember that the a frame peices bolts to is rusted out in the middle real bad,I am thinking plateing it,as replacement would mean tearing the intire car apart and I aint up to that right now with no shop.
That photo is the same body as the 1 I have.Those skirts are neat o.Same hubcaps and all.
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

I'm not a GM guy but I like those old fastbacks for street rods. You may have to do some digging to find the skirts. Maybe they're in the trunk! Go back where you bought the car and look around. Ask them if you can go through their garage looking for parts. :lol:
Jim
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

I like a lot of the cars of the post war era & that one looks cool. 8) Congrats on your score, now let's see some pics! :woohoo:

One of these days, I hope to snag a decent '48 to '50 Hudson Commodore. These cars have really grown on me the last few years. I don't care if it's a two or four door...and I wouldn't hot rod it, I'd leave that baby bone stock! :D
This black one with the red gut is just SWEET & would be my preferred color combo, but I'd be ok with any color.

My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

i almost bought a 50 buick super dynaflow with a straight 8. i was broke as a joke. the thing was a driver and 100% complete for 500$. the guy later thanked me for not buying it because it brought 1500 at a farm sale.
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
FORDMANLCRACKEL
United States of America

Post by FORDMANLCRACKEL »

Good score Mack. Those cars remind me of the black car in the movie Who Framed Roger Rabbit? :lol:

Lonnie
The most rewarding job i ever had was being a dad.
1988 Ranger Build http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj31 ... %20RANGER/
uglyblue66

Post by uglyblue66 »

Well if you heard some coughing and hollering about 9 pm,that was me and my Pontiac.I filled the carb bowel,and it has terriable spark plug wires on it and the plugs are all grudgey,but it fired and ran about 10 seconds twice.So there is life in that hunk of iron.Has been parked under a pine tree since at least 1972.
I will try to get a photo up here monday.I left my memory card in the truck down in the back yard.Duh
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Can't believe that thing actually ran!! That's all it would take to fire me up on the project.
Jim
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

IT RAN?!?!?! holy guano batman!

hit that project!!! sweet!
'63 with 390 & lots of juice. But never enough. Always want more.
ImageImageImage
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

I can't believe you tried to start it. :lol:

uglyblue66

Post by uglyblue66 »

:D Well,This evening,I installed 6 new plugs.and made up 6 new wires.I checked the fireing order,whoever messed with it last had it way out of order.BUT :oops: I forgot to get the mark on the balancer lined up so I could see where 1 wire went to hook it up and it be timed.So the first try,nothing,second try after dad reminded me to start at 1 and go around,it didnt do nothing.It was 180 off. Well by george,The 3rd try,that puppy about started it's self and runs smooth as a new swiss watch till the carb runs dry.
:D
So yes,You can believe that I not only tryed to start it,I did start it,and I will drive it,sooner than most folkes around home may believe! :D
I meant to tell ye all that a 62 slick sold at that auction,it was purple and yellow and was called "Plumb Crazy" went for 9500 or 9750,cant remember which. If you go to this link,about middle ways you will see 2 photos of my car.
http://classicauctions.com/auctions/200 ... photos.php
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

Boy, that is a straight body! And the hard to find, high dollar chrome looks perfect! That bad boy would be my daily driver....................
Jim
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

dude that is cool
'63 with 390 & lots of juice. But never enough. Always want more.
ImageImageImage
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

That purple & yellow Slick looks like the backside of a mud fence! :barf:

This is a cool looking car!! I bet it smells great inside. :mrgreen:

You're still nuts for running that engine. :lol: Do you know what decade old engine oil looks like? :?
I assume you at least put fresh oil in there... :P

uglyblue66

Post by uglyblue66 »

Well,I hooked up a small gas tank,put on 2 new radiator hoses,and added coolant.It holds it's own water. I then installed the tires leaving off the rear drums cause I cant get the park brake cable to let go.I ran it about 5 minutes or so,drained the old oil,put in fresh 30 wieght.
I was just going to put it over to the side and it felt so good once the clutch let go and I was able to start it,put it in gear and drive it I went up the driveway. :D Well that went fine till I got to where I needed to back up.fine,reverse works,things went south when i thought I had coasted to a stop and was trying to put it back in 1st.It started rolling down the hill toward the road.I jerked the wire and cut the motor,then checked for traffice and wound up coasting down the road a 1/4 before i got stopped. :oops: Camper battery took a leave and I got a ride back to the house,got a battery,and put it in and got home fine.Steping on the brake pedal is equal to kicking a big oak stump.It wont get NEAR the road again till the brakes are fixed .It is limited to 100 feet from the shop.Period.
But dang what a thrill even though a element of danger and some prayers were said in the midst of it all.I did something real stupid even getting it away from the shop and near the highway. :roll: Just proves you dont allways have things fiqured out as well as you think.Something will come along and wake your sorry butt up and show you who's boss. :P

But over all,I feel good about some aspects of the car.I found some bad body damage at the corner of the door jamb.The rear quarter aint attached at the bottom in that corner.Kinda BAD.
But the drive train appears to be in fixable condtion.
72 hours from the time I payed for the car at auction,I drove it.Not but a 1/4 mile on asphalt but hey,that wasnt planed,that was sorta a accident.
Someone mentioned smell.You know,it didnt stink inside.Dusty as heck.I filled my 10 gallon vacuam over half full of nuts and stuff and sneezed while doing that.But No smell.That old oil,yuk that stuff stunk bad.
uglyblue66

Re: Well I went and did it

Post by uglyblue66 »

Well,it aint done but it stays in my shop all the time.The trunk,rear fenders and all are repaired,new windshields, back glass was removed and repairs made to the body and all reassembled. driverside floor boards are about half done.
I got started hot and heavy on the model T pickup and stopped on this for a while.But it is coming along.
oldsmiley
United States of America

Re: Well I went and did it

Post by oldsmiley »

Love that car.

Tires, a hand wash job (maybe with a pint of Kerosene added), and "GO CRUISING".

The first tour would be heading to Church on Sunday Morning