New family member is a 65’ factory 4x4

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

66halfton

New family member is a 65’ factory 4x4

Post by 66halfton »

Ever since my daughter sold her 66’ to get a more college commuter friendly ride I’ve been in the search of something we can enjoy together again. This was just the ticket, 1965 factory 4x4, 352 bored to a 390, 4spd and he had done the styleside bed conversion for me. I need to replace the brake booster and tune her up as she’s been sitting for a long time. Some door corner and bed seem bubbles starting so a paint job back to her original Rangoon red will be in the future.

https://flickr.com/photos/25632081@N05/ ... 8594302005
Matt Anderson
grump

Re: New family member is a 65’ factory 4x4

Post by grump »

That's a pretty nice looking truck. Good to have something that nice to start with.
redstone65
United States of America

Post by redstone65 »

That's a great looking truck. Congrats. Engine pic?
Dave

1965 F-100 Flareside (240 6-cyl)
3 speed. Former military truck.
66halfton

Post by 66halfton »

redstone65 wrote:That's a great looking truck. Congrats. Engine pic?
Thanks, I’m pretty excited about fixing all the little things and enjoying her for awhile before doing any body work. Here is an engine shot from the day I bought her.

https://flic.kr/p/28KNPqc
Matt Anderson
Gravemetal
Canada

Post by Gravemetal »

Nice start for sure. It is a stretch however, to say that the motor was bored out to a 390. If you actually bored it 120 thou over you would only have a 373ci. and I do not know if you can bore an FE that much. You could stroke it to a 390 if the pistons were changed out too.
Ford... the other four letter "F" word

Chevrolet: Condition hopeless entire vehicle runs on leftover engine technology

Six cylinders make farting sounds
66halfton

Post by 66halfton »

Gravemetal wrote:Nice start for sure. It is a stretch however, to say that the motor was bored out to a 390. If you actually bored it 120 thou over you would only have a 373ci. and I do not know if you can bore an FE that much.
Lol, I was waiting for someone to catch that. I also raised my eyebrows when the previous owner told me that. Seems all FE blocks are 390’s when they come up for sale. Ha ha. He had owned it for a couple decades and seemed to know his stuff, takes about upgrading the splines in the rear axle etc. I guess I’ll only find out if she comes apart someday.
Matt Anderson
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Great looking truck!
I've got a line on a 61 4x4 which may already be spoken for :mrgreen: .
redstone65
United States of America

Post by redstone65 »

Ooh, brake booster. Nice. Dual master would be even better though. :wink:
Dave

1965 F-100 Flareside (240 6-cyl)
3 speed. Former military truck.
66halfton

Post by 66halfton »

redstone65 wrote:Ooh, brake booster. Nice. Dual master would be even better though. :wink:
Yes, glad to see a booster sad to find it was leaking. Plan is to swap in a new booster with a dual master, possibly go disc up front at the same time. That’s the upcoming long weekends task.
Matt Anderson
04sd
United States of America

Post by 04sd »

What did they do with the wheelbase? Still stock at 120". Looks like they trimmed the rear fender opening but 120 to 129 is a big difference to move the wheels in the opening. I think I'd shorten the bed at the front to center the wheels in the opening where they belong.
Bill
1966 F100 Camper Special, now a short bed 4x4.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1644 ... build.html
66halfton

Post by 66halfton »

04sd wrote:What did they do with the wheelbase? Still stock at 120". Looks like they trimmed the rear fender opening but 120 to 129 is a big difference to move the wheels in the opening. I think I'd shorten the bed at the front to center the wheels in the opening where they belong.
It’s still the factory 120” wheelbase, I’m guessing the bed is from a 64-66 2 wheel drive when they lengthened the beds? When they trimmed the bed they welded a new lip inside, did a decent job but I agree, should have just shortened the bed up front.
Matt Anderson
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I was patiently waiting for someone to ask! Looks like a lot of work to end up with an immense rear overhang.My shortbed is trimmed as well, but only to accommodate the 38's!
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
66halfton

Post by 66halfton »

Toyz wrote:I was patiently waiting for someone to ask! Looks like a lot of work to end up with an immense rear overhang.My shortbed is trimmed as well, but only to accommodate the 38's!
So from my research there is not an actual styleside bed that’s made for the 120” wheelbase right? No matter which one I find they all would have to be cut down in length is that right? Just making decisions before I plan where the money goes.
Matt Anderson
04sd
United States of America

Post by 04sd »

66halfton wrote:
Toyz wrote:I was patiently waiting for someone to ask! Looks like a lot of work to end up with an immense rear overhang.My shortbed is trimmed as well, but only to accommodate the 38's!
So from my research there is not an actual styleside bed that’s made for the 120” wheelbase right? No matter which one I find they all would have to be cut down in length is that right? Just making decisions before I plan where the money goes.
Your truck would have come with a flareside bed or a styleside bed from the '57-'60 style trucks. The other option would have been flatbed/stakebed. The '64-'66 styleside beds were either 114/115" or 128/129" wheelbase, used only on 2WD trucks with the exception of the '66 F100 4WD. 1966 F100 4WD came in either 115" or 129" wheelbase, all other slick 4x4s came in 120" wheelbase only.
Bill
1966 F100 Camper Special, now a short bed 4x4.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1644 ... build.html
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

"from the '57-'60 style trucks". No, the "wrong bed" was (re) designed for the Slicks, modified to fit both the 120" and 122" wheelbases, as well as the 132".
Those "wrong beds continued to be available for all light duty leaf sprung applications thru 1966, with the exception of the 1964 2wds, which were the first to have the matching bed available on all coil front spring trucks.
So, yes, the longer wheelbase "right bed" would require removing eight inches from in front of the wheels to fit right on the 4x4. Yours looks exceptionally well-done, I guess it would depend on personal preference, and , if used as a "truck", how well the bed is supported at the rear.
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
sgettin

Post by sgettin »

I may be mistaken but I seem to remember this truck is for sale already, can't remember but possibly on Craigslist?. I apologize if I have information wrong.

Edit: looks like it was sold through the slick for sale section.
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

Nice stance, and super cool truck.

I've always thought of it as a SIN to cut a bed, but the bed makes the truck.

I've always enjoyed head turners like that.... :D