Got the 351-W in tonight

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

66camperspecial
United States of America

Got the 351-W in tonight

Post by 66camperspecial »

The 460 I put in a few years ago had a serious vibration issue so it came out so I had been trying to get a 92 351 converted to a carb which was not going to good so I picked up a 85 351 and got it in tonight,the rear sump oil pan clears everything but the dipstick is very close to the master cylinder since it has a late 70s booster but will deal with it. Was wanting to go back to a FE and 4 speed since I still have the mounts and clutch parts but had too many new parts for a small block and could not find a reasonable FE and the 78 parts truck donated the mounts,C-6 and other small parts,now to figure out what exhaust manifolds to use and get everything hooked up.
ponypoor
United States of America

Re: Got the 351-W in tonight

Post by ponypoor »

Used shorty headers from a 94 5.0 Mustang on my 65, they fit real nice.
64 Ranchero (has new owner)
65 F100 shortbed
66 Mustang (A code 289)
67 Bronco
redstone65
United States of America

Post by redstone65 »

How hard was it to get the small block motor mounts attached to the chassis? Lots of butchery?
Dave

1965 F-100 Flareside (240 6-cyl)
3 speed. Former military truck.
66camperspecial
United States of America

One hole on each side needed drilled for the mounts and all I need is to get a carb,exhaust manifolds,fan spacer and radiator hoses,since I put a 65 core support in so I could use that big 460 radiator I am stuck with it and might be over kill but do not want to change the core support again.
66camperspecial
United States of America

All done except for exhaust manifolds,looks like i will have to use a cable for the passing gear since the rod will not even come close to working. The 460 must have sat a little more forward since I was able to use the rod with it.
66camperspecial
United States of America

It is in and running,went on the first drive and the parts truck C-6 shifts better then the rebuilt C-6 that was behind the 460 that came out. The only problem is the timing chain is very sloppy and the timing is retarded and the distributor is stuck,good oil pressure and the motor does not heat up so the front of the motor is coming off next week. I wanted to hear it run before I did anything to it.
66camperspecial
United States of America

Rigged a exhaust on it and could tell I was down a couple cylinders,turned out the carb was loose and its running smooth now. Going to proceed to the timing chain next and it will be ready to drive.
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

That first drive after an engine installation,
is always a thrill & satisfying
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
66camperspecial
United States of America

First long drive yesterday to the gas station and now to change the timing chain,its stretched so much that its very noticeable.
66camperspecial
United States of America

Now that I got a new timing chain set in and the distributor loose I have been putting some miles on it and so far its been good,I do miss the torque of the 460 but do not miss feeding it. I put on some used foxbody mustang factory headers but they angle the pipes towards the frame and might have too small tubes for a 351 so I am going to get a set of 90s truck shorty headers and then get new pipes made.
66camperspecial
United States of America

Got a pair of factory lightning headers and much better,still have a vacumn leak that needs attention but not that bad I can not drive it. Parts truck C-6 shifts much better then the rebuilt C-6 I got with the 460 and the oil is dirty after only a couple hundred miles so it must have not been changed that frequently and will be changed again in another couple hundred miles. Found that the speedo is 5 slow so time to find a gear with 2 less teeth and then I can see if the gas mileage has improved,the 351 must have sat for much longer then I was told as it runs better the more I drive it.