1961 F100 cab repair

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Rabidsquirrel

1961 F100 cab repair

Post by Rabidsquirrel »

I'll repost this here, maybe I'll get some action in this forum. After ripping the passenger side apart I've got a fairly good idea of how things go together, however I need some help. I've attached a picture of whats left of my cab, and circled in red what I need a few good pictures of.

Rabidsquirrel wrote:Hello all,

Does anyone have some good pictures of a clean/repaired '61 F100 cab? I'm replacing the floors, steps, kick plates, rockers and lower door hinges. Usually I'd gently disassemble and take notes, but this thing has been so hacked/spliced/booger welded that it's pretty much a loss for disassembly.

I guess long story short is I'm looking for 3 pictures for spot weld locations: front cab corner, underneath looking at the step, and door open, looking at the step. Or if someone documented their replacement of all of those that would be great.

Thanks.
Last edited by Rabidsquirrel on July 28, 2018, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
unibody madness
United States of America

Re: 1961 F100 cab repair

Post by unibody madness »

Photo bucket snafu killed a lot of build threads, I can go through my build picks and see if I have any worth sharing.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
Rabidsquirrel

Post by Rabidsquirrel »

I would appreciate that. Maybe the photobucket thing is why I can't find anything with Google.
Rabidsquirrel

Post by Rabidsquirrel »

So I finally managed to find what I think is a 1961 F100 cab:

I'll leave this up for future googling.

I guess now my next question is how is the step riser placed? Does it sit on top of the floor, butt welded, or the floor on top of the flange? As you can somewhat see in my picture below, the newer riser was placed over the original and then held in place with a healthy booger weld.

rwhistles
United States of America

Post by rwhistles »

should be under the floor but looks like over works just about as good.
1961 F350 pick up
1966 F350 camper
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

I sent you a P.M. Send me your E-address And I will send you pics of my sons cab
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
Rabidsquirrel

Post by Rabidsquirrel »

unibody madness wrote:I sent you a P.M. Send me your E-address And I will send you pics of my sons cab
I didn't see anything in my inbox. You can email them to bob@moderatelyconfused.com. Thanks.

I've cut out quite a bit more of the cab. It's a shame how rusty the lower portions of it are, when 75% of the floor is good and everything above that is perfect. I'm currently trying to make inside cab corners. I wanted to reproduce the originals, but I lack the equipment to do that. I'm going to end up ordering a bead roller and just get as close as I can.
grump

Post by grump »

You're right about the back side panels. I just made a panel on the passenger side with my bead roller because I replaced the whole panel all the way up to the floor. On the drivers side I only went up about half way and there's a pocket pressed in on one side and it's a pain to replicate. I ended up making that pocket with three pieces of metal. I have no idea how many hours I have in that panel. They should be making these panels, because if the cab corner is bad the chances are that the inner panel is shot also. You'll get it done.
JeffinMooresville
United States of America

Post by JeffinMooresville »

Hi RS, looks like you found the pic. I cut off and replaced the flat panel on back side, but if truth be told, you are right, most replacements including mine should replace the entire lower structure.

In mine, the floor sat on top of the door well flange. I left the door well lip in placecwhen i cut my floors and used the lip at welding surface based on my lack of welding skills.

Your description precisely describes my welding technique - booger weld.
Jeff in Mooresville
63 Flareside and 65 Styleside projects underway
Rabidsquirrel

Post by Rabidsquirrel »

Just looking for some measurements here, I really need to find a local guy so I can grab a bunch of pictures and measurements.

In this first picture, I need the number from the bottom of the dash to the floor pan:

In this picture, I'm looking for the height from the step to the floor:

Anyone in the south eastern PA area going to any car shows?