harder to find: 65 radiator or unicorn?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

redstone65
United States of America

harder to find: 65 radiator or unicorn?

Post by redstone65 »

Anybody know a source for a '65 radiator that doesn't cost $600? Do they exist at anything close to a reasonable price? I only found one, from US radiator, and I've bought cars cheaper than what they want for it.
Dave

1965 F-100 Flareside (240 6-cyl)
3 speed. Former military truck.
Lowell
United States of America

Re: harder to find: 65 radiator or unicorn?

Post by Lowell »

i had a radiator shop recore my old radiator for a little over $300 a few years ago.
redstone65
United States of America

Post by redstone65 »

Lowell wrote:i had a radiator shop recore my old radiator for a little over $300 a few years ago.
My local shop wanted $450 for a re-core. I think the clogged one in my truck now is actually a '66 but it fits fine. Other than the top port being on the other side I can't tell the difference between a 65 and 66 radiator. If that's the only difference then I don't mind sticking with a '66 model. I can get those new for $250.
Dave

slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

The difference between '65 and '66 radiators is the location (front to rear) of the mounting flange. The '65 radiator support has a bracket that extends rearward for the radiator to mount to so the flange on the radiator is toward the rear(toward the engine). The '66 radiator support does not have that same additional bracket so the radiator mounts directly to the main vertical panel of the support, thus requiring the radiator mounting flange to be toward the 'front' side (away from the engine)

Hose connections likely vary depending on engine - I6 or V8. I have not specifically compared those so I can't give you more details on that aspect.
"It's better to be gone but not forgotten, than to be forgotten but not gone." Gary Allan
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

look into this,,,,,,,,, :?: :?: :?: take the 66 flanges and reverse them from side to side and see how that works
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
redstone65
United States of America

Post by redstone65 »

Ok, from what I can tell so far I actually have a '66 radiator in there now, not a '65. If you are standing in front of the truck, facing the grill, the top outlet is on your right and the bottom outlet is on the left. I think the '65 radiator for a 6-cyl has both top and bottom outlets on the left. If that's the case then the '66 6-cyl radiator will fit. That's good because they are readily available from NAPA in the $250 range.

slixtyfive wrote:The '65 radiator support has a bracket that extends rearward for the radiator to mount to so the flange on the radiator is toward the rear(toward the engine).
Yep, mine has those. But the top hose connection is on the wrong side. Maybe the PO just used the '65 reverse brackets on a '66 radiator.
Dave

Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

O' Reilly's parts house has a radiator for the bumpsides that has bolted on flanges, easily reversed for the '65 core. It's well under $200.00.
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
DanSanDiego2000

Post by DanSanDiego2000 »

Although a lot of these answers sound similar, I wanted to share the solution I used.
I have a '65, purchased a new '66 radiator, de-soldered the brackets off of my '65, soldered them onto my new '66 radiator......
Perfection.

It's been a number of years since I did it, and had all the photos at the time...... but I think the Bucket ate them all.

The radiator came from Napa, and all the inlet locations, sizes, core dimensions were spelled out on their website.

With just a little digging, I found what I needed, and Viola!!
66camperspecial
United States of America

Post by 66camperspecial »

A 77 F350 460 radiator will bolt in but they are huge,my 66 needed a core support and since I had a 460 with its radiator from a 77 I got a 65 core support.