FE in a ‘63-‘64 former 292 truck

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

STOFFER
United States of America

FE in a ‘63-‘64 former 292 truck

Post by STOFFER »

‘sup everybody

I was wondering if anybody had a parts lists for swapping a 292 to a 352/360 etc using the Y-Block motor mounts

local wrecking yard has a large truck and if there’s something I need I’d like to grab it before it becomes ricer fart cans

I miss my slicks
charliemccraney

Re: FE in a ‘63-‘64 former 292 truck

Post by charliemccraney »

The short answer is you're not likely to find something that will just be a bolt in swap.

I think '65-? 4x4 used a similar arrangement. Something did, pretty uncommon but I'm not sure what right now. Anyway, easy to look at the current mounting arrangement and compare it to the potential donor. I'm sure that most FE's will not.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

There were no FE's in the straight axle Slicks, so no factory motor mounts.....but there are a number of aftermarket tubular crossmembers available, with mounts for Windsor/Cleavland, FE's, 460's, etc.

Trans-dapt brand shown in link below, but there are other brands, which coincidentally appear veeeery similar :)

https://www.hedman.com/engine-swap-motor-mounts

HTH
James
66camperspecial
United States of America

Post by 66camperspecial »

I seen a 65 F350 with a FE that had mounts similar to a Y block.
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

HMMM.....When I said no straight axle slicks with FE's, I had totally forgot (despite owning an M350) about the one tons being straight axle through all the years of slick production.
But, having said that, I'm not familiar enough with the FE's to know if the engine mounting bosses were all in the same location through all years of production or not?

Anyways, in the end, if you have to search for "hens teeth", it may prove easier to just buck up for the aftermarket setup and git er done rather than hunting for OEM stuff that may/may not work?

James
66camperspecial wrote:I seen a 65 F350 with a FE that had mounts similar to a Y block.
1964WVFORD
United States of America

Post by 1964WVFORD »

I have done this swap before.(It was several years ago) You will need the front motor mount crossmember, front engine mount, the steel timing cover off the FE engine that holds the front mount, and the bellhousing that has the side ears that sit on the rear crossmember under the engine. The only problem i had with the swap was getting the y-block transmission to mount to the FE housing as the holes are different. You can usually find these parts on the F350-F600 trucks, factory 65 4x4's and 1966 F250 4x4 trucks.
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

STOFFER wrote:‘sup everybody

I was wondering if anybody had a parts lists for swapping a 292 to a 352/360 etc using the Y-Block motor mounts

local wrecking yard has a large truck and if there’s something I need I’d like to grab it before it becomes ricer fart cans
1964WVFORD is on the right track. I had 330 MD parts holding a 390 in my motor home. A 330 MD with a small crank snout will have the bolt on cover to an FE. There is a HD cooling timing cover that a small seal drives in from the crank side but you'll need to figure out lower hose plumbing and accessory brackets. The zero balanced flywheel, bell housing and clutch from a 330 MD will all bolt up to a 352/390 but you will need to figure out something on your input shaft or have a larger (13"?) clutch disc made with the 1 1/8" spline. All of that stuff will allow a normal FE to run in an early style mount. With that said I have not installed this in pickup. Refer to 1964WVFORD for the mounting procedure.
Chris
STOFFER
United States of America

Post by STOFFER »

1964WVFORD wrote:I have done this swap before.(It was several years ago) You will need the front motor mount crossmember, front engine mount, the steel timing cover off the FE engine that holds the front mount, and the bellhousing that has the side ears that sit on the rear crossmember under the engine. The only problem i had with the swap was getting the y-block transmission to mount to the FE housing as the holes are different. You can usually find these parts on the F350-F600 trucks, factory 65 4x4's and 1966 F250 4x4 trucks.
thanks, I was trying to add pictures

I guess I might as well pull it all and leave the transmission

I miss my slicks
STOFFER
United States of America

Post by STOFFER »

jamesdfo wrote:HMMM.....When I said no straight axle slicks with FE's, I had totally forgot (despite owning an M350) about the one tons being straight axle through all the years of slick production.
But, having said that, I'm not familiar enough with the FE's to know if the engine mounting bosses were all in the same location through all years of production or not?

Anyways, in the end, if you have to search for "hens teeth", it may prove easier to just buck up for the aftermarket setup and git er done rather than hunting for OEM stuff that may/may not work?

James
66camperspecial wrote:I seen a 65 F350 with a FE that had mounts similar to a Y block.
it’s doable, I’ve see ‘em done

and I’ve been considering such a task just to make folks scratch their heads

I miss my slicks
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

STOFFER wrote:
1964WVFORD wrote:I have done this swap before.(It was several years ago) You will need the front motor mount crossmember, front engine mount, the steel timing cover off the FE engine that holds the front mount, and the bellhousing that has the side ears that sit on the rear crossmember under the engine. The only problem i had with the swap was getting the y-block transmission to mount to the FE housing as the holes are different. You can usually find these parts on the F350-F600 trucks, factory 65 4x4's and 1966 F250 4x4 trucks.
thanks, I was trying to add pictures

I guess I might as well pull it all and leave the transmission
That is a 330 Medium Duty. Even better because it uses a regular water pump. Good thing about your mounting it like that is tou might be able to run Ford long cast iron headers. I talked to a man who had some on his 63 Unibody in 63. Don't know exactly how his engine was mounted.
Chris
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

what I see what's wrong on that set up in that big truck is a aluminum timing cover + a carriage bolt ??? WRONG,, It's suppose to be a cast iron or steel timing cover
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

6166 Junkyard Dog wrote:what I see what's wrong on that set up in that big truck is a aluminum timing cover + a carriage bolt ??? WRONG,, It's suppose to be a cast iron or steel timing cover
Haha didn't see the carage bolt. That is an iron cover though, aluminum does not rust. 68 and up aluminum FE timing covers use one long bolt through the pointer and the rest are short. That one has long top and bottom.
Chris
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

do not know what your looking at BUT In those pics that is a aluminum timing cover on that truck LOOK again
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Day 2

Post by Day 2 »

STOFFER
United States of America

Post by STOFFER »

guess i’m going to pull it all this weekend

I’ve got long tubes and dual quad intake and such already, I’m worried about making it fast just want to mess with folks heads when the hood is open

I miss my slicks
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

good luck, but also I noticed that a steel sleeve was put there at the bottom as well
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

6166 Junkyard Dog wrote:do not know what your looking at BUT In those pics that is a aluminum timing cover on that truck LOOK again
No need to get smart. I might be wrong. There are worse things in life than being wrong. So what if the rust on the timing pointer mount is from the pointer. That is an FT cover regardless. I had a 68 330MD and it's timing cover was cast iron. Maybe an aluminum cover was used for a time.

EDIT: Didn't see the dent side body so it is not a 67. I do not know when Ford used an aluminum FT cover till now.
Chris
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

STOFFER wrote:guess i’m going to pull it all this weekend

I’ve got long tubes and dual quad intake and such already, I’m worried about making it fast just want to mess with folks heads when the hood is open
I am looking for a Ford Clark 282V transmission. PM sent.
Chris
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

you know I am not being smart maybe you think so go ahead and think it then BUT in that pic I am seeing a aluminum timing cover with a steel sleeve in the pic with a carriage bolt rigged in there and what timing pointer ? :?: , is none , guess I will keep it to myself my opinion and mind my own business,, so don't ask
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

6166 Junkyard Dog wrote:you know I am not being smart maybe you think so go ahead and think it then BUT in that pic I am seeing a aluminum timing cover with a steel sleeve in the pic with a carriage bolt rigged in there and what timing pointer ? :?: , is none , guess I will keep it to myself my opinion and mind my own business,, so don't ask
I was agreeing with you on a couple of points. Sorry if I came across otherwise.
Chris