VIN Discrepancy

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

BobbyFord

VIN Discrepancy

Post by BobbyFord »

I just noticed something odd on my truck today. The frame VIN doesn't match the VIN number on the door warranty tag.
Everything is identical except the engine code. The frame says the truck came with a 292, the door says it came with a 6 cylinder. :dontknow:
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Re: VIN Discrepancy

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

look at the engine mount on front of the engine and see how it's mounted,, the six would have a hole through that front cross member and the 292 would have a bracket off that cross member . just look and see if you see if it's been cut or ground down with a grinder or welded in that area,, also could be a misprint on one or the other, Ford has been known to make a mistake on stamping numbers or not even stamping them,,
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
grump

Post by grump »

I don't have a vin # on my '66.
BobbyFord

Post by BobbyFord »

6166 Junkyard Dog wrote:look at the engine mount on front of the engine and see how it's mounted,, the six would have a hole through that front cross member and the 292 would have a bracket off that cross member . just look and see if you see if it's been cut or ground down with a grinder or welded in that area,, also could be a misprint on one or the other, Ford has been known to make a mistake on stamping numbers or not even stamping them,,
No bracket, just a hole.
The truck had a 390 in it when I bought it in 1984.
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

since it had a 390 in her, then most likely it was cut off, if it was a maybe a 292 since the hole will be there regardless whether it was a 6 cylinder or the Y-Block,, really do not have a answer on that ? just assumptions, we bought few years ago a truck in Wash a 66 Ranger, with no Vin# on frame rail but was still able to get a NC Title due to we had original sales order, original payment @ Ford, door tag, metal ID Tag on that cardboard that goes in the glove box and showed a letter we got stating that Ford 90%- 95% did miss stamping,, last week we carried what was left of a 64 to the crusher and was missing 1 letter on the frame rail, rest was all visible and can see it was missed
Just our :2cents: on what have seen
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo