Getting 62 F-100 Back on the Road

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

BH_CustomTrucks
United States of America

Getting 62 F-100 Back on the Road

Post by BH_CustomTrucks »

About 11 year ago I made my 62 F-100 unibody look decent...but it was still mechanically original. Functional, but not fresh by any means.

I am getting ready to get the truck back out and it has about a 200 mile trip to make from where it's currently at to where I live. I am considering trailering it but also have some thoughts about driving it...like Roadkill but without cameras and sponsors. I'm hesitant to drive it because the shortest route from A to B is 175 miles of interstate or 4-lane state highways...oh yeah...and two major cities with heavy highway traffic.

It's a 223 i6 and a 3 spd on the column. Tires were fresh in 2008 and have very few miles on them. It's been stored in a barn and started and driven a few miles once or twice a year.

I plan to drain the fuel, put a new battery, belt, plugs, wires, cap and rotor in before I even try and take it more than a few miles from the barn. Brakes are...okay...What would be the best items to go ahead and replace/repair before i get it out and going?

Long term goals are updated brakes, an Arclight stage 1 lowering set up and then I dream of putting a T-5 behind the 223 as this truck is going to be a pretty basic cruiser.
04sd
United States of America

Re: Getting 62 F-100 Back on the Road

Post by 04sd »

How long is the route if you stay off of the interstate? I'd be tempted to go for it, make a day of it, cruise the two lane roads. My biggest concern would be the brakes, make sure hoses etc. are in good shape. Sign up for AAA plus, they'll tow you up to a 100 miles for free if you brake down :)
Bill
1966 F100 Camper Special, now a short bed 4x4.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1644 ... build.html
BH_CustomTrucks
United States of America

Post by BH_CustomTrucks »

Backroads/2-lane would add 30-40 miles so not too bad.
Another66

Post by Another66 »

I would have to trailer it. I would be mostly concerned with a failure in the cooling system, like a head gasket.
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

Pump up the tires
Check the oil in engine , trans , rear diff
Fill with fresh premium gas & a little marvel mystery
Brake fluid , anti freeze topped off
Rolling 55 mph on interstate nots bad
4 hours & your there
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

On top of the items you’re planning to replace I would inspect the brakes closely. A brake line failure with a single pot master is going to be a bad day. Then maybe drive the truck around where it is and let it warm up. If it runs well and gets up to temp with no issues, I’d say go for it.
I drove my largely original 63 Uni from NY to SC. Then the following year I drove it back to NY with a load pushing its limits. My biggest concern were the brakes. I also had AAA just in case. I was pretty nervous on my first journey, but now that I know what it’s capable of I don’t hesitate to drive it anywhere.
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL