Steve's 64 Short-bed Project

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

SteveCanup
United States of America

Re: Steve's 64 Short-bed Project

Post by SteveCanup »

THE STARS WERE IN ALIGNMENT....LOL. We started the morning out wiping the car down with silicone remover and tack rags...Dad was hard at it
Nason single stage Urethane paint
And "some" time later (3 coats actually)
I think that dad likes it...I got a 'thumbs up' from him

Out in the sunshine to fully cure
Now to get it unmasked, detailed, and reassembled...and go to the cruise-in this weekend!
1964 F-100
grump

Post by grump »

Another one saved. Lookin good. It takes a lot longer to put everything back together than it did to take it apart.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

grump wrote:Another one saved. Lookin good. It takes a lot longer to put everything back together than it did to take it apart.
Yep...finding that out. And we're cleaning and polishing all of the trim before installation...there is a monster amount of trim on the car...lol....
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Happiness in my garage tonight...we still need to install some of the trim onto the Galaxie.
Now this is Happiness...

I wanted to get some shots of the car sitting outside this afternoon...but we got pop-up rain showers (which we desperately needed).

Stay tuned....
1964 F-100
9Fingers
United States of America

Post by 9Fingers »

Very nice looking work! I wish I had your patience and skills for body work and paint.

Bradshaw
Always know where you will be, when you get where you're going - Jerry Clower
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

9Fingers wrote:Very nice looking work! I wish I had your patience and skills for body work and paint.

Bradshaw
Thanks Brad! It does try your patience...and skills....
1964 F-100
04sd
United States of America

Post by 04sd »

The car came out really nice looking. Makes a nice stable mate for your truck.
Bill
1966 F100 Camper Special, now a short bed 4x4.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1644 ... build.html
65_Slick
United States of America

Post by 65_Slick »

Looks good! :clap: :clap:
Marty
MSGT - Retired Air Force
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Driveway pics from yesterday....we later installed the bottom trim on the passenger side and then painted the wheels to match the body color...

Now to get back to the truck stuff....lol...
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Dad's car is painted and he is driving and enjoying it immensely. Finishing up some late summer house remodeling projects this week. NOW...planning to start back on the truck. It needs some freshening up in the paint department. I painted it with rustoleum oil based enamel five years ago and it has held up very well for what I use the truck for (hauling lumber, gravel, furniture, etc.) From 15-20 feet, or running down the road, it looks okay. I initially sprayed it with satin, but I'm thinking that I will respray with gloss white and see how it turns out. I will not spend several hundred dollars on expensive paint that will get scratched and dingled.

Anyway...stay tuned....
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

We had one more cruise-in the past Saturday, so I didn't want to start in on the truck yet...with bodywork. But it's coming.

I spent some time this past week or so researching power brakes, power brake boosters, power brake master cylinders, and brake pedal ratio. I have discovered that my brake pedal ratio is 4.8:1 which is why my pedal feels hard when braking. After making my eyes bleed from all of the reading...I ordered a power brake booster that should take care of my problem. Pirate Jack Hotrod Restoration and OEM Auto Parts...7" dual diaphram Chrome Power Brake Booster, $68 plus tax. It should be here by Friday...Installation pics to follow. And...btw...I'm sure that everyone has heard about the guy who was addicted to brake fluid??? He said that he could "stop" at any time....(big face-palm :p :lol: :lol: :P :roll: )

On another note...with the cruise-in season behind, I am also hoping to begin some bodywork on the truck in the next few days. There are some areas on the truck that certainly need attention. I want to keep it white at this point...but I might spray it in gloss white.

Stay tuned....

(oh...one more thing...if you like truck video's...check this youtube link out. This guy puts "Gas Monkey" to shame.... They're called "Turnin Rust" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sey7ZW-CjBs&t=1804s )
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

My new power brake booster arrived today from Pirate Jacks. I will attempt to do a "pictorial" how-to on the installation. I am simply going to unbolt my dual reservior master cylinder from the firewall and intall the booster. In doing this I will not open any brake lines and have to bleed the system. I have already predrilled new holes in the firewall this afternoon in anticipation of the installation. Anyone with disc/drum, dual master cylinder manual brakes who would want to upgrade to power brakes might find this interesting. The booster was only $71 total. There will be some fabricating to make this work on my truck...but that is what makes this interesting....and fun. Figuring things out and making them work...safely, of course.

So...stay tuned....I have several 'other' things going on tomorrow, but I plan to take some pics of the process. Hopefully this will help someone else that has a '64 or earlier F-100.

:D :D :D
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Mocked it up this evening...
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Okay...so brake booster installation. First I removed the plate that was bolted to the firewall. It was held in place by 4 bolts and had the two bolts that the master cylinder bolted to.

I did not get pics of the next step, but I drilled out the top two bolt holes as they had "cage nuts" behind them. I then drilled two new bottom holes...this gave me 4 holes to slide the bolts of the brake booster into the firewall. I made sure that the pedal shaft was centered in the large middle hole. I then bolted the booster directly to the firewall.
This is a view from under the dash, inside the truck. The 4 bolts are where the booster came through the firewall.
I had to drill out (wallow) the holes on my master cylinder to get it to fit onto the two mounting bolts on the front of the booster. I also had to adjust the 'rod' coming out of the booster, to the right length to go into the rear of the master cylinder. I took 3 or 4 tries to get the length just right.

Now...with the booster and master cylinder mounted I had to connect the booster rod to the brake pedal. Originally there was a rod that was bolted to the pedal that went directly into the back of the original master cylinder. The new booster just had a threaded rod....so, I took some angle iron and made a bracket to bolt to the pedal.
It's probably hard to tell from the pic...but I bolted the angle iron bracket to the pedal in the original hole for the original rod. I then ran the rod from the booster through the other hole in the angle iron and "fixed" it with a nut on either side.

All that was left to do was to pick up some vaccum from my intake manifold...which was easy.

Drove the truck "to town" which is about 20 miles one way. It brakes like a dream. The pedal feel is perfect.

Now to paint...
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

There is always one more cruise-in....

Tomorrow from 12 til 6 p.m. Big local cruise-in. This time of the year is perfect weather wise for it....
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Last cruise-in for the season...took time to snap a few pics before we left.

Now to get the truck in the garage and start sanding...

Stay tuned...
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

I ordered a GPS Speedometer tonight for the truck... I will leave pics and feedback on here when it arrives. Researched it on this site and several other members had the same problem that I did...bouncy and non-working and non-reliable speedometer, and they replaced the original with a GPS unit...and LOVED it. I had replaced the gear, lubed the cable, lubed the cable some more, danced naked around a hot bon-fire shouting "poo-poo caa-caa" and none of that helped. So...we'll see.

My wife has the GPS function on her phone and my speedo was consistently off, even when it did work. Tired of not knowing how fast I am going....

I also installed a new heater control valve so that I can control the amount of heat (or non-heat) from within the cab without having to go under the hood and open or close a valve. I'll get pics and info on that also and post here for anyone who might be interested. The valve was $24.95 from Summit Racing and the cable was $6 from AdvanceAuto. It's the little things that sometimes makes our trucks driveworthy....

Stay tuned....

(p.s. - I really didn't dance naked around a hot bon-fire...my wife wouldn't let me.... :) :shock: :shock: :shock: )
1964 F-100
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

SteveCanup wrote:danced naked around a hot bon-fire shouting "poo-poo caa-caa" and none of that helped
Steve, sometimes no amount of "poo-poo caa-caa naa-naa" dancing will help, it's in these cases I choose the option of a BFH and get out my credit card....lol Look forward to the review on the GPS Speedo!

Jon
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Jon....LOL....i forgot the "naa-naa" part. That might have helped...My wife as agast that I posted that about dancing naked around a fire....
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Here's pics of the heater valve from Summit Racing...

I had an open space on my instrument panel for the cable...

I will probably update to a Ford choke cable or something that will match.

...and Just because...
1964 F-100