Slick Crew Cab Question

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

chris401
United States of America

Slick Crew Cab Question

Post by chris401 »

Hello,
Was there a base frame for the few made? Did they use a one off frame for the 3/4 and up Crew Cabs or a base F-600 frames? I saw a photo of a 1 off 1/2 ton at the factory. Wondering if it was a spliced F-100/F-250 frame or what.
Chris
jamesdfo
Canada

Re: Slick Crew Cab Question

Post by jamesdfo »

AFAIK, any F100 Crew's were coachbuilt.

Crew Frames were specific to each series (at least for F250 & F350 , the "Heavy" trucks may use the same frame over several series)

See the Factory Sales Brochure in the link below, and look @ the table on the last page, it has frame rail height, width, and thickness listed, and notice the asterisk and the note at the bottom, relating to the 3/4T frame for trucks with 7500 GVW requires the optional 4.97 SM (Section Modulus).
The odd part is, the height/width dimensions and thickness listed for the Chassis does not change on the one with 4.97 SM, so they had to do something to increase the SM??......
**Through detective work, and what I have learned from having a '66 F250 Crew in my driveway, I believe the Optional Section Modulus on the 7500 LB GVW is achieved by them adding "Fish Plates" to the outside of the frame from just behind the Radius arm brackets for the front suspension to just in front of the front spring hangers for the rear suspension. There have been several posts on FTE where fellow owners have shown these plates, and I also know one local guy with a '68, and his has the same plates as my '66.
The fish plates are cut from one piece of plate, and are drilled in a number of spots to allow clearance for rivets on the frame which would otherwise prevent the plates from sitting flush on the sides of the rails. Also, the plates are cut to follow the contour of the rails as it kicks up.
I'm sure if these plates had been fabricated by any job shop, they would have used off the rack dimensional material and spliced it to make it fit the contours.
As for anything heavier than an F-350, I have only ever seen pics, so I can only speculate, but I would suspect the once you get into F400, 500, 600, etc, I would expect the frames would be the same as a conventional cab of the same series, as they were available with longer wheelbases , so the additional length of a Crewcab is negligible......

HTH
James

http://www.fordification.com/library/pi ... ategory/68

chris401
United States of America

Re: Slick Crew Cab Question

Post by chris401 »

Thanks for posting the Ford information. My 65 single cab 2WD F-250 is rigged out at 4,8XX lbs empty. Interesting that there was a market for the 5,800 GVW 6 Man F-250. With 6 people and there tools seems the truck would be at or slightly above max GVW most of the time.
Chris