Steve's 64 Short-bed Project

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

SteveCanup
United States of America

Re: Steve's 64 Short-bed Project

Post by SteveCanup »

ratrapp wrote:you could pull both center sections and just swap the new ring gear on to your old 28 spline carrier.you 'll never have to touch the pinion or pinion depth and if you measure the backlash before you take it apart you should be able to get it back pretty close.ive done this several times in my swapping between car 28 spline and truck 31 spline stuff.
I never thought of that...It is "rocket science" to me though. How do I measure backlash? Would there be a video on YouTube that would explain and show me what to do? Or some other source that I can refer to. I have never worked on the 'guts' of a rear axle but, I will try anything at least once. But I don't want to mess up my axles and then have to spend $$$$ to fix it, lol.
1964 F-100
ratrapp

Post by ratrapp »

they wont be chance of messing up an axle doing this.there should be plenty of online videos or youtube videos.all you need is a decent dial indicator.you just measure the backlash before you take it apart and make it the same when you reinstall it.you wont have to touch the pinion to do this.
04sd
United States of America

Post by 04sd »

I believe there are different carrier bearing sizes also, not sure what either of your axles are but would assume the 64 has the smaller bearing. If the 75 is large bearing I think you can just swap the bearings over, the bearing ID is the same on both I think.
If the tires will fit with the wider 75 rear. you would also gain larger brakes swapping in the entire rear.
Bill
1966 F100 Camper Special, now a short bed 4x4.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1644 ... build.html
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Post by My wife's nightmare »

Hey Steve, call me, we need to talk!!!
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

My wife's nightmare wrote:Hey Steve, call me, we need to talk!!!
Will do....It might be tomorrow...
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

For those who are following the axle part of this thread....My truck has the original 9 inch Ford rear axle with 3.70 ratio. The axle that I purchased is a '77 Dana 44 with 2.72 ratio. The two axles are different. The '77 axle is actually 2 1/2 inches wider than the '64 axle and I feel confident that it will fit with no issues. There is at least 2 inches on each side between the tires and the outer fender.

Yesterday I cut and moved the spring perches to fit the location of the '64 springs. There were 2 other brackets, one on each side, for shock absorbers that I also removed. I dismantled the brakes, as they were toast. The wheel cylinders were complete junk. So I will purchase wheel cylinders and brake shoes for the axle.

Today's plan...
Go out and lift the truck and drop the original axle out and roll the '77 axle under, install the tires and insure that everything will clear. If there are no obvious issues, I will purchase the brake parts and proceed.

Stay tuned....
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Wrestled and grunted under the truck for awhile this afternoon. I almost finished removing the original axle...just the two U-bolts on the passenger side remain. If time permits tomorrow, I will finish removal of the axle and test fit the '77 axle.

Stay tuned....
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Well....Never Mind. The '77 axle is just tooooo wide. Lesson learned. Do a lot of measuring before purchasing. Anyone interested in a good axle? I'll make a great deal on it....lol.....
1964 F-100
ratrapp

Post by ratrapp »

you should just keep an eye out for a good center chunk with the gear ratio your looking for.it shouldnt be that hard to find as most cars had 28 spline axles and highway gears in alot of them like 2.80 and 3.00.
9Fingers
United States of America

Post by 9Fingers »

That's interesting. I was expecting you to tell us it tucked right under. On the 65 4x4 I've been wrenching on, I swapped under the same rear axle, a Dana 44, from a late 70's 2wd f100 so I could use an e-locker for off road. I've got factory Bullet style aluminum wheels from a later model F150 and 31x10.50 tires. I've got just enough room for them to fit. Would rear wheels with a different offset make it work,?
Always know where you will be, when you get where you're going - Jerry Clower
longcabjohn
United States of America

Post by longcabjohn »

I have a 78 F150 trailer towing special rear axle

with 6 inch aluminum wheels and 235x15 tires under my 66 with about 1/2 clearance on each side and they have never been touched by the bed

Johnny
If restoring a ford was easy, chevy guys could do it.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

I'm running steelies that I purchased from Summit a few years ago. I forgot what the backspacing is, but with the 275/60-15 tires I had about 1 1/2" of clearance on each side. I want to keep my wheels. The '77 axle is 5" wider than my stock '64 axle....66" verses 61". That was the measurement from the outside of the drum to the other drum. Sooo....I'll kinda keep my eyes open for either another axle or a "chunk" for my original axle.

In the morning I want to pop the rear seal out of the T5 while I have the driveshaft out. Get a new seal...

Stay tuned....

(btw, I was serious about selling the '77 axle....I'll make someone a great deal on it!)
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

9Fingers wrote:That's interesting. I was expecting you to tell us it tucked right under. On the 65 4x4 I've been wrenching on, I swapped under the same rear axle, a Dana 44, from a late 70's 2wd f100 so I could use an e-locker for off road. I've got factory Bullet style aluminum wheels from a later model F150 and 31x10.50 tires. I've got just enough room for them to fit. Would rear wheels with a different offset make it work,?
I am wondering if there was a significant change in the chassis from '64 to '65. 1964 was the last year of the straight axle and the cab "steps" at the door bottoms. I'm thinking that Ford widened the axles, the rear and the twin I-beam up front, starting in '65. It's just a thought.
1964 F-100
04sd
United States of America

Post by 04sd »

SteveCanup wrote:
9Fingers wrote:That's interesting. I was expecting you to tell us it tucked right under. On the 65 4x4 I've been wrenching on, I swapped under the same rear axle, a Dana 44, from a late 70's 2wd f100 so I could use an e-locker for off road. I've got factory Bullet style aluminum wheels from a later model F150 and 31x10.50 tires. I've got just enough room for them to fit. Would rear wheels with a different offset make it work,?
I am wondering if there was a significant change in the chassis from '64 to '65. 1964 was the last year of the straight axle and the cab "steps" at the door bottoms. I'm thinking that Ford widened the axles, the rear and the twin I-beam up front, starting in '65. It's just a thought.
The twin I beam up front got wider but the rear axle was the same 64 to 65. I don't think the rear axle got wider until 73.
Bill
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Bill....you are correct.

I think that the '77 Dana 44 axle would have fit under my truck, but I would have to change my wheels. I like my wheels. I don't want to change my wheels. It would make me sad to not have those wheels on my truck....

So I will keep my feelers out for another Ford 9" with the gear ratio that I so desire....it's out there.

Stay tuned...
1964 F-100
04sd
United States of America

Post by 04sd »

They are cool wheels. I like like steel wheels on old trucks. I have two 15x8 plain steel wheels that may end up on mine but I need to find two more to match. In the mean time I have a set of factory steel rally wheels from the 80's that I'll probably use.
Bill
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

I've seen the same thing with my brother-n-law with his 55 chevy. He purchased a rear end for it, that was close but NOT good enough. With it already installed, a year later when he lowered the body down on the frame (a body with all new quarters, floors, rockers, and such) It was SO close on the rear tires, that he cut 3/4 of the wheel opening lip of to make it work without scrubbing.

Prior to this (after all the new panels, body work, and paint) I tried to reason with him, that the rear end was NEVER going to be used under anything other than his 55. SO, why not spend a few more $$$ and have the rear end narrowed 2" to give him plenty of clearance, and NOT to cut the strengthening wheel opening lip off, and make your quarter panel a weak point. BUT, it was his car.......

If it's long task to find the right one, you can always buy the one you found, and narrow it to a perfect fit. You're not going to see a Well's Fargo money truck following behind that Hearse, when you're taking your last ride. :)
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Post by My wife's nightmare »

Hey Steve, I spoke with my friend last night and he said he knew he has a 3:10 because it is a strange ratio. He also said he was sure he has 3:00's for "a very low price" (probably free) if you are interested. Give me a call if you have questions
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

My wife's nightmare wrote:Hey Steve, I spoke with my friend last night and he said he knew he has a 3:10 because it is a strange ratio. He also said he was sure he has 3:00's for "a very low price" (probably free) if you are interested. Give me a call if you have questions
Thanks Doug! I'll be in touch soon....that 3:10 might really be the one!
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Still driving and enjoying the truck. Waiting to upgrade the rear-end gearing. I'm also researching air-bags. Not sure that is the route I want to go...or not.

Drivability and gas mileage is great...

Stay tuned....
1964 F-100