Looking for your thoughts on engine build.

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

doorguy

Looking for your thoughts on engine build.

Post by doorguy »

I have a 1966 F-250 4wd 4 speed with granny low a 390 2 barrel carb. The truck was running ok when I bought it but I'm doing a complete restoration on it so I tore the engine down and the internals look really good. I had the block baked, cylinders honed, crank polished, pistons cleaned up with new rings and the valves refaced. The Heads are D2TE. I'm putting an Edelbrock Performer RPM Dual Plain intake on it with a Comp Cam 33-224-3 Hydraulic Flat Tappet .268 advertised duration, .494 lift 1500-5500rpm operating range. I'm not sure what the stock valve spring lbs are so I'm replacing them with the recommended valve springs for this cam.
I'm not looking to hotrod this thing up, but I want it to run a little hotter than it was stock. Am I on the right track?
slick4x4
United States of America

Re: Looking for your thoughts on engine build.

Post by slick4x4 »

the 66 came with a 352 if it came with a v8
so your already 38 cubic inches bigger
will definitly have. more hp
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

doorguy wrote:I have a 1966 F-250 4wd 4 speed with granny low a 390 2 barrel carb. The truck was running ok when I bought it but I'm doing a complete restoration on it so I tore the engine down and the internals look really good. I had the block baked, cylinders honed, crank polished, pistons cleaned up with new rings and the valves refaced. The Heads are D2TE. I'm putting an Edelbrock Performer RPM Dual Plain intake on it with a Comp Cam 33-224-3 Hydraulic Flat Tappet .268 advertised duration, .494 lift 1500-5500rpm operating range. I'm not sure what the stock valve spring lbs are so I'm replacing them with the recommended valve springs for this cam.
I'm not looking to hotrod this thing up, but I want it to run a little hotter than it was stock. Am I on the right track?
The FE is a good engine. I've not used the RPM but have used the StreetMaster on a similar build in a 1965 F-250. It was fun to drive but when towing the soggy low end prompted me to change it up to gain off idle to 5000 rpm. Plenty of folks like the RPM intake but the cc volume may hurt the below 1200rpm range with a heavy trailer in tow.
Chris
aarons428
Germany

Post by aarons428 »

I think your on the right track. I wouldn't be worried about that intake.
2010 Ford Edge
99 Ford Expedition
65 Ford f-100 swb
460 stock other than a double roller timing chain and a s475 TURBO pushing 6psi of boost (now 12lbs)
351 W Pulled and on garage floor in storage
428 4v (R.I.P)
c-6 wide ratio modified
torino front stub
home made ladder bar rear with air bags
11.96 sec @ 110mph 1\4mile (best with the 428)
greentruck
United States of America

Post by greentruck »

It depends on your intended primary use of the truck . For the street with not much towing your plan is fine, for lots of towing or hauling and crawling offroad your going to want an RV or low end high torque style camshaft.
66 f100 4x4 ,64 f100 4x4 ,65 f100 2wd, 76 bronco, 74 bronco, 68 bronco, 69 mustang mach 1,68 torino gt,42 ford gpw
doorguy

Post by doorguy »

Slick 4 x 4 Yes, this truck was originally equipped with a 352. Somewhere along the line it had a 390 2 barrel installed. I'm refreshing the motor and installing a new cam and
4 barrel intake.
doorguy

Post by doorguy »

Guys,

Thanks for your responses. It appears I should be ok with this set up.
This truck will not be used for towing anything. This will be put back on the road as a driver and show truck.
I posted a bunch of pics in my album of the restoration project.
Last edited by doorguy on December 21, 2020, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

here I would run the 390, NO HEADERS PERIOD, engine would run hotter and eat up starters, Have Factory exhaust manifolds coated then run the exhaust out 3'' pipe BUT H-Pipe back under the cab and will find out have good it will run and breath
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo