Electric crate motor swap into a skick.

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

sgettin

Electric crate motor swap into a skick.

Post by sgettin »

I realize I'm pbly gonna get burned for this one but has anyone done it or thinking about it? I'll be retired before long and thinking of doing this with a short stepside/flareside. Haven't checked into it much but for someone like me who's skill set does not include engine mechanic the are some advantages, maybe.
And, those elctric motors are quick and fast.
I like the internal combustion engenes but I think that while not a thing of the past, like it or not, it's coming.
slick4x4
United States of America

Re: Electric crate motor swap into a skick.

Post by slick4x4 »

Go for it !
if a guy could pick up used parts
and keep the cost down , would be a neat project

i always thought the idea of an electric vehicle
would go hand in hand with a solar & wind charger
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

sgettin wrote:I realize I'm pbly gonna get burned for this one but has anyone done it or thinking about it? I'll be retired before long and thinking of doing this with a short stepside/flareside. Haven't checked into it much but for someone like me who's skill set does not include engine mechanic the are some advantages, maybe.
And, those elctric motors are quick and fast.
I like the internal combustion engenes but I think that while not a thing of the past, like it or not, it's coming.
From my point of view if we reasonably have the means and knowledge to show respect for the earth that God created for us He expects us to show it. The technology is not here yet but when it arrives
it will make Him happy we tried. With views so extreme on either side of this thing it can be confusing on how environmentally friendly electric vs. combustion engines are to produce and upkeep. History shows that combustion engine won out over electric and steam when it came to cost of production.

Here is an interesting article from a car magazine. I read all of it.

https://www.powernationtv.com/post/mass ... on-engines
Chris
04sd
United States of America

Post by 04sd »

I'd consider it in the future maybe. Not sure what is available right now but I saw something the other day about Chevy bringing out an electric crate motor of some sort. I believe they had one in a 70's Blazer. I think the cost to convert something though along with the engineering and fab work will make it out of range for most people. Besides an electric motor to move the truck you need to figure out your power steering. power brakes, heat, AC, etc. Make sure to start a build thread if you do it.
Bill
1966 F100 Camper Special, now a short bed 4x4.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1644 ... build.html
sgettin

Post by sgettin »

All good points.
I like the idea of an electric motor although the one thing I really dislike is not hearing my engine, I just wanna hear it whether it's a hot rod or not.
But anyway the little bit of research I've done is leading me to believe electric crate motors will soon be available from the major car companies given, from what I've read, mustang is going electric assist at the wheels 2023 & pbly some form of all electric soon after that and I assume the others will follow, or lead.
Apparently current technology requires a clutch driven vehicle and adapting to heat, ac, is not that big a deal and I pbly won't have power breaks anyway lol. Also I don't know the curb weight on a slick but I bet it's less than a Stang. Lots of room for batteries back there also.
In any event just thinking out loud, for now. I think maybe the old slicks and a lot of our classics may just live on even though some people think their time has past. It's hard to beat a classic :)
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

being on the road a lot cannot how many of those piece of Junk electric cars I have seen on the road burning up, couple of weeks ago going across I-20 through Fort Worth one of them burning up,, after sitting for almost 2 hours sitting in traffic finally let us through,, need to get the Tech more advance maybe ?? another ? I see in Calif. all these electric hook ups, now my ? is when one of those cars short circuit and pops the fuse how long before you get your charge ???????
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
sgettin

Post by sgettin »

6166 Junkyard Dog wrote: my ? is when one of those cars short circuit and pops the fuse how long before you get your charge ???????
Hence the reason you should carry a portable wind mill with you at all times.

But seriously that recharge question is a good piont I haven't thought of & I think you're correct in that the technology (or implimentation of it) needs some improvement. Also I think "they" will/are improving things but as you've pointed out there will definately be a few bumps along the way.

Kind of related side note. I have been wanting to buy a new V8 Mustang or similar but not so sure now. I am wondering how obsolete it will be in 2 or 3 years. There will still be plenty of I.C.Engines around but how much is a 400+ HP Mustang worth when Ford comes out with a 900Hp electric?

I still think I will put a short bed slick in the barn just in case.
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Train engines and the mining dump trucks use a diesel generator to power electric drive motors at the wheels. Something like that would be more practical than changing or charging batteries every 300 miles.
Chris
Jerry D
United States of America

Post by Jerry D »

It's been something I've been thinking about for a long time. I don't recall where, but I found a supplier that makes motor plates that mount to Ford bell housings and adapters to mount the clutch to the motor shaft. There were a few options for motors to mount to it. The idea of being able to put some batteries under the hood, and some at the front of the bed, you'd probably be able to get the weight distribution pretty close to centered even. It's just the electronics side of the battery management and such that scare me. Seems like it could be done at a fairly reasonable cost, say maybe $7k - $10k.
sgettin

Post by sgettin »

Jerry D wrote:It's been something I've been thinking about for a long time. I don't recall where, but I found a supplier that makes motor plates that mount to Ford bell housings and adapters to mount the clutch to the motor shaft. There were a few options for motors to mount to it. The idea of being able to put some batteries under the hood, and some at the front of the bed, you'd probably be able to get the weight distribution pretty close to centered even. It's just the electronics side of the battery management and such that scare me. Seems like it could be done at a fairly reasonable cost, say maybe $7k - $10k.
That's kinda what I've been reading. It all sounds fairly promising & while 7k-10k may be a bit spendy it really isn't when you consider the price of an engine rebuild especially with some mods added in. I think I'll wait & watch the tech & supply on it. The way things work it could be 10k today & 2 for a buck at Walmart tomorrow once they figure it out (well not quite but ya know).
Battery location: I didn't think of it before but take the gas tank out & put it behind the seat.
theastronaut

Post by theastronaut »

Electric motors make all of their torque at zero rpm, then falls off as they speed up. You'd want to mount all of the batteries over the axle so it hooks up instead of spins, and even then it's still going to spin.
charliemccraney

Post by charliemccraney »

sgettin wrote: Kind of related side note. I have been wanting to buy a new V8 Mustang or similar but not so sure now. I am wondering how obsolete it will be in 2 or 3 years. There will still be plenty of I.C.Engines around but how much is a 400+ HP Mustang worth when Ford comes out with a 900Hp electric?
I don't think there is much concern in the near future. A 900hp electric will be in a different class altogether, just as a 900hp gas powered vehicle would be. Apples and oranges.

ICE vehicles will remain dominant for at least the next 5 to 10 years but we will continue to see a shift to electric. Long term, people aren't even going to own cars. As the technology improves, businesses, corporations will own fleets of self driving vehicles which will effectively be used as taxi's but more like the models created by Uber and Lyft and less like a traditional taxi. By that time, most ICE vehicles will be collector vehicles so they may still hold value for a long time. Much like older generations, Millenials and probably some younger generations are going to want cars that they could only dream about when they were young so i don't think there will be a drastic drop in value any time soon. It's tough to say, though because the scarcity of fossil fuels and laws of the road, which are bound to be affected is yet to be known.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
sgettin

Post by sgettin »

theastronaut wrote:Electric motors make all of their torque at zero rpm, then falls off as they speed up. You'd want to mount all of the batteries over the axle so it hooks up instead of spins, and even then it's still going to spin.
I didn't know that, I think there is a lot for me to learn b4/if I try it.
sgettin

Post by sgettin »

charliemccraney wrote:
sgettin wrote: Kind of related side note. I have been wanting to buy a new V8 Mustang or similar but not so sure now. I am wondering how obsolete it will be in 2 or 3 years. There will still be plenty of I.C.Engines around but how much is a 400+ HP Mustang worth when Ford comes out with a 900Hp electric?
I don't think there is much concern in the near future. A 900hp electric will be in a different class altogether, just as a 900hp gas powered vehicle would be. Apples and oranges.

ICE vehicles will remain dominant for at least the next 5 to 10 years but we will continue to see a shift to electric. Long term, people aren't even going to own cars. As the technology improves, businesses, corporations will own fleets of self driving vehicles which will effectively be used as taxi's but more like the models created by Uber and Lyft and less like a traditional taxi. By that time, most ICE vehicles will be collector vehicles so they may still hold value for a long time. Much like older generations, Millenials and probably some younger generations are going to want cars that they could only dream about when they were young so i don't think there will be a drastic drop in value any time soon. It's tough to say, though because the scarcity of fossil fuels and laws of the road, which are bound to be affected is yet to be known.
You've offered more insight than I had thought about in that I took the easy route and assumed 400hp GT vs 900hp electric = obsolete but I think your point is valid (atleast I hope so) in that it will be a while b4 the electric knocks ICE's out of the picture. I really don't want Fords 1st stab at an electric Stang and pbly couldn't afford it anyway.
I've heard mainly through my work place about the advent of self driving cars and I think while it will be a while yep that is definately the future. Might be scarry as hell at first bcuz one advantage is self driving cars supposedly will talk to each other which means it could get wild at stop lights, lane changes, road construction ahead, etc.
We'll see what happens I really don't mind the idea of all electric like I used to.
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Post by FarmMotorSports »

I guess I have a different view of the whole electric vehicle/ hybrid's.

We get dead hybrid's in once in a while. (We dissuade thier arrival when we can) They are a genuine pain in the arse , the batter pack is usually under or part of the floor of the vehicle. And as such a huge pain to remove before any further processing of the vehicle. They come in because the battery pack is done, and replacement is usually astronomical priced. Without the battery pack, the car is useless.

I don't want to dissuade you from your project of passion but, get the price each individual replacement part for your kit. If they even offer them, can you afford several thousand every ten to fifteen years for new batterys?

Battery's and copper are the products that we recycle more that any other product! Copper is valuable and easy to find in lots of products... Battery's don't last long, I see more dead six to eight year old battery s than ten year old one's.

If your looking at regular car batteries, rethink that. The diyed in the wool electric power people prefer lithion, because of the drain rate, recharge rate and number of times they can be cycled without degradation and superior reliability.
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
mercuryv8
Canada

Post by mercuryv8 »

My data is terribly out of date but might be of some use.

In 2013 I contacted "Canadian Electric Vehicles ltd" They offer conversion kits for a few vehicles. I asked them what it would take to get my 2500# slick into the 13 - 14 second quarter mile. It wasn't that I planned on racing it that was just the kind of performance I was after. The silly thing was I told them I only needed less than 100km of range. Today I wouldn't consider it unless I could get about 300km or better range.

This was their reply.

>13-14 seconds is some serious power.
>11" DC motor and 1000 amp controller.
>Drive system is going to be about $10K and connect to a standard trans.
>Batteries would need to be about $13K.
>This would give you much more range than you want but what you need to get the power for the performance you want.

>BFN
>Randy

Which doesn't seem crazy especially considering that was eight years ago.

Nic

*edit*

Here is their website.

https://canev.com/
sgettin

Post by sgettin »

Definately some down sides to think about given battery life, range, and cost. I think all of those will improve rather quickly though and it never hurts to have another kinda diamond in the rough slick setting in the barn waiting :)
And thanks for the link Merc.
mercuryv8
Canada

Post by mercuryv8 »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oLoNiEY1T ... e=youtu.be

Well.... look what was just posted.

Nic
aarons428
Germany

Post by aarons428 »

mercuryv8 wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oLoNiEY1T ... e=youtu.be

Well.... look what was just posted.

Nic
I was going to post that today too!! I watched it last night.
2010 Ford Edge
99 Ford Expedition
65 Ford f-100 swb
460 stock other than a double roller timing chain and a s475 TURBO pushing 6psi of boost (now 12lbs)
351 W Pulled and on garage floor in storage
428 4v (R.I.P)
c-6 wide ratio modified
torino front stub
home made ladder bar rear with air bags
11.96 sec @ 110mph 1\4mile (best with the 428)
sgettin

Post by sgettin »

Interesting. Went ahead & subscribed I'd like to see how it goes.