Front Fender Patches

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Front Fender Patches

Post by My wife's nightmare »

Stripped the paint from my right front fender this weekend and found more rust than I was expecting. The lower rear corner needs attention, just the outside and the flange along the bottom edge. The inner structure is surprisingly solid, quite the opposite of what I normally see. I know there are patch panels out there but I'm curious if they are made with the return at the lower edge. If anyone can share any knowledge of these panels, please let me know. I know its possible to fix this with flat sheet metal but I may need some of the bodylines which I'm not really capable of reproducing, not exactly sure how far up I will need to cut. Thanks for any advice! (I know these are not likely made in America but sometimes it may be your only option)
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Re: Front Fender Patches

Post by FarmMotorSports »

My rule on patch panels is simple...
If it comes pre primed, ( black e-coat) I DON'T want it, 85% of the time. If there's anything else available, or I can fabricate it...

If it comes raw steel , I can make it work...

Almost all patches will require some tweaking to make them fit.

I have looked at the raw steel lower fender patches on eBay, and wondered if I could get the small patches I need from them
... Haven't tried one yet....
Hopefully someone else who has will chime in.

I have sinned, and used an e-coat step tread for small patches for a rib on my original step...

Good luck, and let us know what you use and think of them....
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
grump

Post by grump »

I just looked on Dennis Carpenters site and they have front, rear and lower rear fender patch panels and they're made in the USA. Their fenders, strangely enough, are imported. You could call Carpenters to see how much of the fender is included in the patch panels.
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

That is one part I do not sell due it's only the outer part, so you have to separate the outer fender from the inner brace then reinstall it back and be sure you get a good weld on the back unless you can flange both parts, that is why I save a lot of fenders wrecked in the front to cut off and just attach the whole inner structure with outer part f the fender all at one time
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
grump

Post by grump »

Both of my front fenders need a lot of metal replacement. Not sure whether to get fender patch panels or new fenders. If I get the patch panels I wouldn't replace the whole piece I'd just replace the places that need it to maintain the integrity of the fender during the work.