wiring harness

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

grump

wiring harness

Post by grump »

Has anyone used the american autowire harness made for slicks? Just wondering if it's a direct replacement and the quality of it. Thanks
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Re: wiring harness

Post by FarmMotorSports »

A quick check of thier web page, makes me say no, its not a direct replacement.
What I found listed was an up date kit. A Blade style fuse box, and adapter fitting to connect to modern gauges, collums, with instructions to adapt to original equipment...

I have not used one. So I will not go into quality.
But I will say quality in my experience, usually is a reflection of the person doing the install.
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

I strung kit 510260 in my 65 F-250 a few years ago. At that time they were using Vortec era GM plugs. Although they had both ends to adapt to your trucks accessories I chose to use original Ford ends on the new harness. Either bought from Dennis Carpenter or used old ones in good shape. It has a third brake light but the emergency flasher kit is not independent and will flash the third brake light also. I used the third brake light instead to tie in my trailer brake box. One day I'll either add a second switch to the brakes or adapt a modern emergency flasher unit that will not pulsate the trailer brakes.

The only problem I had with quality was the horn relay supplied with the kit. It is actually an OEM flasher relay. Although I seldom use the horn I did manage to burn out two of their relays within 6 months from installation. I picked up a Genuine GM relay and had no more problems. The XX years old Ford horn relay and Genuine GM relay handled the dual horns for several years.

Advice: Save yourself problems down the road and solder everything. Use factory harness tape and heat shrink the ends. So far I've made 15 trouble free 1200 mile round trips across Texas and New Mexico in addition to daily driver duties. Probably would have been fighting bad connections on truck and trailer if I hadn't taken my time building the harness.

American Autowire kit # 510260
Last edited by chris401 on November 9, 2021, 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
grump

Post by grump »

Thanks Chris, that's the harness I was looking at.
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Seemed like the harness was heavy. 14 gague for lights and 12 gauge for fuel pump and ignition.
Chris