Remembering a friend…..

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

oldsmiley
United States of America

Remembering a friend…..

Post by oldsmiley »

I’m not sure how long The Slick 60’s website will carry on, but it would be a shame for it to go under.

Seems like every since we lost Tom Placer of Flashback F-100’s, this site has also dropped off. For the past couple of years I could come on here nearly any given day and read a post that Tom made. He always made the F-100 world interesting for us all.
I first met Tom back in 1982. He could never enter a room, or a crowd of people without his kooky SMILE getting there first. He loved his family, friends, and trucks (and he made it known that they had to be FORD trucks). If you didn’t know that, you didn’t know Tom.
We worked together for about 12 years. Going out West, (junk yarding) attended tons of Swap Meets, and making a lot of F-100 friends. We use to love going to the Pate Texas Swap Meet in the early years, even in some blinding downpours of rain, when you knew darn well that everything you stepped in wasn’t mud.
He loved to answer the phone at the shop, and people loved talking to him. He had a very unique talent….he never forgot anything. A customer would call, order parts, and when they would give him their address, he would sometimes say, I know where you live. You live right around the corner from that Jack In The Box chicken place in Northern Las Vegas. Or a person who hadn’t called in five years could call, Tom would answer and as soon as the customer spoke, Tom would recognize their voice and say, hey Kenneth we haven’t heard from you in a while. Most customers were amazed that he remembered them.

I think Tom took this website to a new level, so I hope we’ll all do our part to help it get more active in memory of him and Kathy.

Maybe someone else has a COOL memory of Tom to share………
slick4x4
United States of America

Re: Remembering a friend…..

Post by slick4x4 »

Yep
Tom was an interesting man & had lots of stories
He knew his Ford trucks like a book

And yes , I wish members would drop a line in here more often
Even one post a week, would be a lot if 50 would do it
Doesn’t have to be Truck related
Most of mine aren’t :cheers:
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
36truck
United States of America

Post by 36truck »

Never actually met Tom but we talked on chat more than a few times. Sold him a 1956 F800 former fire truck and a really nice pile of 79 F150 sheet metal. I was in Montana when he came for everything.
Tom Williams
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Post by My wife's nightmare »

I am guilty of not reporting in as often as I should, but I do visit the site every morning to see what is new. And a big thank you to all of you who post on a regular basis! It is a lame excuse, but I cannot login on my phone so I have to borrow my wife's laptop to post anything.
I went through Reidsville, NC last week for work and thought about Tom. I wish I'd have had time to stop by and spend a few minutes with Kathy but unfortunately I was on a tight schedule.
The folks we have lost through the years has definitely changed our "community" but what great memories we have of Sunday night chats and friendships that have been made on here without ever seeing each other in person. I regret not ever making it to SlickStock but it is on my bucket list for sure.
And like you reminded us Rick, it doesn't have to always be about trucks. Sometimes I actually have a conversation with the wife and never mention a truck!!

Hopefully I'll take more time to log onto the laptop more often
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Tom was a unique individual with a memory like a steel trap. He was a great guy and a huge part of this community, and will be forever missed by anyone who ever met him.
I'm getting choked up now as I think of him, and the half dozen or so real good guys we have lost over the last little while.
Remember the next time you see your slick buddy, could just as well be the last. Make it worth while.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Kid
United States of America

Post by Kid »

Tom was a great friend to all he met. he used to call me quite a bit just to BS. they wouls call if they were going to be in the area and we would meet up for supper. Was a grat guy who is dearly missed.
There are some Days I should not be let to go into the public without adult supervision
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Ken McNeil and I were talking about Tom when we got together on the weekend. He is one sorely missed guy.
I hope Kathy is doing well.
gonna make the next Slickstock if the government will let us Canucks in this time.
hope you all can be there too.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..