You got 5 minutes ?

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

slick4x4
United States of America

You got 5 minutes ?

Post by slick4x4 »

Don’t just read
Hit the keyboard & post something up
Anything is good
Even if your dog caught a rabbit is fine
Better than goofy Facebook most times
Try to post one thing once a week
luck.gif
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
Jerry D
United States of America

Re: You got 5 minutes ?

Post by Jerry D »

I agree! This site is about dead...
36truck
United States of America

Post by 36truck »

5 minute test. Thanks Pat.
Tom Williams
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Post by My wife's nightmare »

Well sometimes things just fall into place. An uncle of mine had an Allis Chambers G when I was young, and I thought that was the neatest thing I'd ever seen. Now I'm not a tractor aficionado but I always wanted a G, even had designed one in my head with a Pinto drivetrain but never acted on it. A longtime friend came by the other day and wanted me to help him get a cow of his up, so I jumped in the truck and rode over to help him out. When we finished, he took me on a tour of this new property he is leasing. We came up on a familiar barn and he pointed out a Cub and a Ford 3600 that he bought from the heirs of some of this farm. He said there's a G over there that they want gone too, not knowing I wanted one. The price was too good to say no so it came home a few days later. As this comes back full circle, I used to drive by this same place on the way to and from work and see the old man working his garden with this G that's now at my house. It's a 49 model, not running yet but he drove it in the shed about 6 years ago so I'm hoping nothing is too serious with it. It came with a single row planter, got to go back and get the cultivators and whatever else he had for it. The implements in the picture are for something else but they were throwing stuff on the trailer, so.......
Jerry D
United States of America

Post by Jerry D »

Nice score on the G. I've always liked those, and hope some day I'll have one. Would be easy to justify owning one if a person had some acreage, as you could throw a belly mower on that, and show the wife that it's needed.
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

I’ve seen those at tractor shows
Would be fun cultivating a big patch of potatoes or sweet corn
Very simple to work on
You’ll have it going in no time
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

I’ve got 30 days till I deploy again. Coming back to a ship again was the worst decision of all decisions in my life. 2 more years. :(
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

2 years on a cruise ship ? … sounds not terrible
Be sure they drop off plenty of rum …
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLiNQhQr4G4
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

slick4x4 wrote:2 years on a cruise ship ? … sounds not terrible
Be sure they drop off plenty of rum …
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLiNQhQr4G4
Hahaha definitely not a cruise ship.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
grump

Post by grump »

I spent a few hours the last couple days sanding on the cab of my truck. I don't mind sanding on the outside of the cab but sanding the firewall and interior sucks. Oh well a couple more coats of high build primer and more sanding and it might be about ready to paint.
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

I’m not sure about anyone else but keeping this going will help to keep me going as well. I’m definitely not a lazy person, but I can surely use a little nudge now and then.

Thanks Grump, I have a lot to do on old Blue, and reading what you said about your truck started me to thinking about mine lol

I started a BUILD post of what I was going to do to my truck a year ago, then got BUSY, BUSY at work, and haven't added anything in months. If this writing something every day (or even once a week) keeps up, It will keep me on a schedule of doing something every week myself.

I agree, this site will turn belly up if we don't make this work.......It was a much better site back when I joined. We're all getting older (I'll turn 69 in October) but we have to remember....."we're not dead yet"
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

This goes back to a Friday and Sunday before last:

Friday:
Well, (Fri Jul 8/22), I was out in the garage, getting ready to put a new chain on my Mountain Bike......at some point, a hammer was required (shocking!!). My big toolbox was locked, and I was too lazy to go inside for the keys, so I just popped the top on my De Walt box (that I use when I go to Pick'n'Pull, etc) and grabbed a hammer.
A bit later when I went to grab the hammer off the fab table, I was puzzled to see one side of the head was all covered in oil?? So I wipe it down, then pop the top on the De Walt box, lift the tray out........and discover the cause of the oily hammer!!
It seems that at some point, the tray had depressed the spray nozzle on a can of Seafoam Deep Creep that I keep in the box for rusty stuff @ P'n"P :oops::rolleyes::censored: Yup, there's a quarter inch or more inside the bottom of the box:(
So, tomorrows task is to empty the box, clean up as much of the oil as I can from inside the box and all over the wrenches and other stuff, then, it's on to a good scrubdown with some Sunlight dish soap, and afterwards, I'll take one of my Muck Buckets and give all the tools that were in the bottom of the box the same treatment.
Ironically, that can of Deep Creep has been in there for three years at the very least without issue, and I can't even tell you how long it's been like this, because I haven't been to any of the local yards for AGES???

So kids, learn from my mistake!!

Sunday Jul 10/22
Well, went out to the garage about 12:30, carried the toolbox outside, the top tray is fine, but 85% of the items in the bottom part of the box were covered in Seafoam Deep Creep penetrating oil:(

So, after taking all the content out and laying them out on newspaper, I swabbed up as much of the oil as I could with copious amounts of paper towel. Then I poured a goo cup or two of SIMPLE GREEN into the toolbox. Took my muckbucket into the kitchen, and used a hose that screws onto faucet to add 6 or 8 inches of ridiculously hot water into the muck bucket. Carried it outside and poured some of the water into the toolbox, then started scrubbing with one of those old carwash brushes that hooks to the end of a garden hose. Once I was satisfied that I'd gotten all the nooks & crannies, I poured the contents into the muck bucket, then rinsed out the tool box with the garden hose & hung it up to dry.

Here's what it looked like after it dried off....

Then, I sat on a milk crate for at least an hour, scrubbing all the wrenches and other items that were in the bottom of the box.......threw them off to the side onto some more newspaper as I went.

Once I got to the end of the pile, I emptied the muck bucket, rinsed it out, and added in some crystal clear water from the garden hose to rinse everything. As the items were pulled from the rinse, they were blown dry, and set to the side on a dropcloth (a curtain in it's former life:)

Once all the items were rinsed and dried, I grabbed my MTB Chainlube & lubricated the moving parts of the breaker bar, crescent wrench, ratchet wrench, etc. Then emptied the muck bucket and hung it to dry.

That done, the only thing left was finding a new container for the Holley float bowl gaskets, and finally new containers for some holley jets. Went in the house & found some suitable containers and decided to get fancy and label the containers with their jets sizes. Which leaves me with a question: Has anyone ever seen Holley jets with a 3 digit number on them? IIRC, I have 52's, 53's, 54's, 56's, but the stumper was the ones that had 512, except the 2 is upside down & backwards? WTH??

Anyways, by this point, I've had enough, so after putting some clear packing tape over top of where I'd written the jet size with a sharpie, I put everything away and called it a day.

Bad news is, I discovered a crack on the bottom portion of the box, just below the lid hingepoint, no idea HTH I did it, still pondering on what method of repair I'll use, first method that came to mind is plating it inside & out with some SS coupons I have here, and riveting them on, but on the outside, there's a vertical rib very close to the crack. So that would mean one plate inside and two outside:( Oh well, not committed to any method yet, just thinking out loud.....

**Update: Well, since this happened, I've sent a few emails, and spent a bunch of time on the phone, and the folks @ De Walt claim they're sending me a new box, but they don't have stock on mine, so they're sending the next size up.

1) I'm still skeptical, so I won't believe it until the box lands on my doorstep.

2) I believe there's no stock because the box(s) have been discontinued because there's a problem.

3) I really hope the new one will still fit behind the passenger seat (Ranger Ext Cab) like the old one did, or it's useless to me.

4) They've sent me THREE emails looking for feedback, but I'm not saying anything until I have results.

5) Three emails looking for feedback for an issue that is ongoing, but they told me I'll have to call them to get a tracking number??

James
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

This actually precedes the one above, as this took place on Sat Jun 4th/22

Well, I have a bunch of "stuff" stored in a neighbour's garage, and they're talking about listing the place with a Realtor......so, in a preemptive move to be (somewhat) ready, for that call......I went outside at about 11:30AM today, and proceeded to spend the next FOUR HOURS emptying my garden shed, organizing and putting most everything back in (A few items were moved up into the crawl space in the garage) This was badly needed (realtors or not), and I did manage to make (some) room, even brought a C-6 trans and a'66 F100 end gate over and stashed them away. BUT that is only scratching the surface, as there are two doors, a hood, a LWB box, my old faithful furnace squirrel cage/painting exhaust fan, and probably several things I haven't thought of next door.
Anyways, that's a couple bites out of the elephant, but there's plenty of bites left!! The saga will continue, and after I do some clean up and organizing in MY garage, I'm going to have to fab some kind of apparatus that will allow me to store that LWB Sideways (ie: floor of box vertical, bed sides horizontal) so that I can bring it over here from the neighbour's without completely plugging up my garage.........
Too bad my garage ceiling is only 98"......and the box is 102". I previously had it stored out at a friends acreage, and he had high ceilings, so we stood it up on end against a wall, so it only took up a footprint of 78"x 28-1/4".

** I have some ideas on what I'm going to build, but if anyone has any input, or flashes of brilliance, I'm listening!

James
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Another from a few weeks back, spoiler alert, STILL haven't gotten around to cleaning up all the "schtuff" in the aisleway.

IIRC, this occurred over the weekend of Jun 11/12/2022

Weekend before last, I started in on the garage, did manage to clear 90% of the surface area of my fab table of "schtuff". that was an entire afternoon, with a few trips to the shed to get stuff out of the garage, and a few trips up the ladder to put stuff up in the crawl space. And a ton of trips back & forth to my tool box to put tools back in their proper places.

This past weekend, I spent some more time in the garage, my neighbour got his Snowblower back, with fresh oil! After that, I did some more organizing and putting stuff away. It's coming along, but as ALWAYS, not as fast as I'd like:)

Next will be what I call "the aisle", which is (or at least should be) the aisle from the man door almost all the way to the back (West) wall, but the horizontal bandsaw stops you. Most of the East wall is the overhead door, and the South wall faces into the back yard. The North wall faces the alley. So, along the south wall, I have a Big metal cabinet, an open space (but not for long, as I picked up a couple small Cube cabinets for $0.00 off Kijiji to fill that hole), then there is a workbench under the window with a 1/4" plate top, and two "repurposed" aluminum Traffic Control cabinets under the 1/4" benchtop.
Walking in the mandoor and taking a hard left, you have the Cabinet and workbench on your left, and the fab table on the RH side of the aisleway. It's currently next to impossible to belly up to the workbench, with all the "schtuff" on the floor. So, that area is next!! The back wall (west) and the North wall are not (as) bad. Much lower on the priority list ATM.
Still waiting on word from the neighbour, but in the meantime, the cleanup continues, and there is a
"Plan A" (time allowing), and a "Plan B" (aka: SCRAMBLE MODE). Plan A is fabbing the structure to store the box sideways before D-day, Plan B is having a clear path from the overhead door to the fab table, so we can carry the box over and set it on the fab table, structure to be built after the fact.
Ultimately, having some pressure applied is not always a bad thing, as it forces you to get things done that would (cough HAVE BEEN cough) otherwise get put off............

James
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Post by My wife's nightmare »

Motivation sure comes in many different forms! And "surprises" like a toolbox full of oil will always throw a curveball into your plans. Cleaning out my shop is on high priority but since we cleaned out most of my parents house, there's lots of stuff in here that I haven't found/made room for. AND I'm scared to clean up much until the 63 gets further along!! Haven't made much progress last week, stuck both feet in my mouth and told one of my uncles I'd put airbags on his truck so it didn't squat so bad with his camper hooked up. 2 hour install according to the website. All I can say is I started after work Monday, a couple hours after work Tuesday and Wednesday, and gave it back to him Thursday! I'm definitely not a fast worker, another reason I quit working on commission, but it was an entertaining several days. Very nice system but I forgot how old I've gotten and crawling in & out from under the truck took a toll. Anyway now some time to give Here a buds some attention.
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

**See UPDATE @ BOTTOM in Blue Text
jamesdfo wrote:This goes back to a Friday and Sunday before last:

Friday:
Well, (Fri Jul 8/22), I was out in the garage, getting ready to put a new chain on my Mountain Bike......at some point, a hammer was required (shocking!!). My big toolbox was locked, and I was too lazy to go inside for the keys, so I just popped the top on my De Walt box (that I use when I go to Pick'n'Pull, etc) and grabbed a hammer.
A bit later when I went to grab the hammer off the fab table, I was puzzled to see one side of the head was all covered in oil?? So I wipe it down, then pop the top on the De Walt box, lift the tray out........and discover the cause of the oily hammer!!
It seems that at some point, the tray had depressed the spray nozzle on a can of Seafoam Deep Creep that I keep in the box for rusty stuff @ P'n"P :oops::rolleyes::censored: Yup, there's a quarter inch or more inside the bottom of the box:(
So, tomorrows task is to empty the box, clean up as much of the oil as I can from inside the box and all over the wrenches and other stuff, then, it's on to a good scrubdown with some Sunlight dish soap, and afterwards, I'll take one of my Muck Buckets and give all the tools that were in the bottom of the box the same treatment.
Ironically, that can of Deep Creep has been in there for three years at the very least without issue, and I can't even tell you how long it's been like this, because I haven't been to any of the local yards for AGES???

So kids, learn from my mistake!!

Sunday Jul 10/22
Well, went out to the garage about 12:30, carried the toolbox outside, the top tray is fine, but 85% of the items in the bottom part of the box were covered in Seafoam Deep Creep penetrating oil:(

So, after taking all the content out and laying them out on newspaper, I swabbed up as much of the oil as I could with copious amounts of paper towel. Then I poured a goo cup or two of SIMPLE GREEN into the toolbox. Took my muckbucket into the kitchen, and used a hose that screws onto faucet to add 6 or 8 inches of ridiculously hot water into the muck bucket. Carried it outside and poured some of the water into the toolbox, then started scrubbing with one of those old carwash brushes that hooks to the end of a garden hose. Once I was satisfied that I'd gotten all the nooks & crannies, I poured the contents into the muck bucket, then rinsed out the tool box with the garden hose & hung it up to dry.

Here's what it looked like after it dried off....

Then, I sat on a milk crate for at least an hour, scrubbing all the wrenches and other items that were in the bottom of the box.......threw them off to the side onto some more newspaper as I went.

Once I got to the end of the pile, I emptied the muck bucket, rinsed it out, and added in some crystal clear water from the garden hose to rinse everything. As the items were pulled from the rinse, they were blown dry, and set to the side on a dropcloth (a curtain in it's former life:)

Once all the items were rinsed and dried, I grabbed my MTB Chainlube & lubricated the moving parts of the breaker bar, crescent wrench, ratchet wrench, etc. Then emptied the muck bucket and hung it to dry.

That done, the only thing left was finding a new container for the Holley float bowl gaskets, and finally new containers for some holley jets. Went in the house & found some suitable containers and decided to get fancy and label the containers with their jets sizes. Which leaves me with a question: Has anyone ever seen Holley jets with a 3 digit number on them? IIRC, I have 52's, 53's, 54's, 56's, but the stumper was the ones that had 512, except the 2 is upside down & backwards? WTH??

Anyways, by this point, I've had enough, so after putting some clear packing tape over top of where I'd written the jet size with a sharpie, I put everything away and called it a day.

Bad news is, I discovered a crack on the bottom portion of the box, just below the lid hingepoint, no idea HTH I did it, still pondering on what method of repair I'll use, first method that came to mind is plating it inside & out with some SS coupons I have here, and riveting them on, but on the outside, there's a vertical rib very close to the crack. So that would mean one plate inside and two outside:( Oh well, not committed to any method yet, just thinking out loud.....

**Update: Well, since this happened, I've sent a few emails, and spent a bunch of time on the phone, and the folks @ De Walt claim they're sending me a new box, but they don't have stock on mine, so they're sending the next size up.

1) I'm still skeptical, so I won't believe it until the box lands on my doorstep.

2) I believe there's no stock because the box(s) have been discontinued because there's a problem.

3) I really hope the new one will still fit behind the passenger seat (Ranger Ext Cab) like the old one did, or it's useless to me.

4) They've sent me THREE emails looking for feedback, but I'm not saying anything until I have results.

5) Three emails looking for feedback for an issue that is ongoing, but they told me I'll have to call them to get a tracking number??

UPDATE: Called this AM to get a tracking number, and the guy tells me it's in Edmonton, and it's out for delivery! Got the tracking number, and went to the door to look and see if there was anything on the front step. NOPE. So, I come back and sit down in front of the computer, and start typing the number into the window on UPS website, and the doorbell rings!!

So, have the new box here now, but it's BIG, so I'm not sure I'll be able to get it behind the passenger seat (Ranger Ext Cab) if there's anyone riding along with me.....

James
grump

Post by grump »

Sprayed some epoxy on my truck cab yesterday and tomorrow will be a couple coats of high build primer then yippee I get to block sand some more.
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

I admire guys that can make metal smooth
And a paint job like glass ….t
I don’t have the patience , or desire
Ive painted numerous vehicles
And I’m happy with the results
I try to prep it good & the paint last a long time
I truly dislike shabby rattle can paint jobs
But if you get close , you can see the flaws

I think the fastest I ever painted a truck was a F100
4x4 1975 I flipped … it was fairly straight
I got up early , stripped trim & sanded about 3-4 hours
Took it outside & power washed it
Brought in and taped it off
By 7pm it was painted & stuff was going back on
Looked nice at 30 feet …. Sold it about a week later
Tip about hiding flaws = paint it white :evil:
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Pat: And now you know why a large portion of FLEET Vehicles are white!! :)

slick4x4 wrote:
Tip about hiding flaws = paint it white :evil:
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

Looks like we’re slacking off again, so I’ll just throw this in for safe keeping…….

The last time I painted my 64 was 28 years ago. Now it needs it again. I parked it for a couple of years and drove my Jeep being better on gas. Then 3 years ago I totaled my Jeep, my wife asked if I was going to buy another one, and I said (Nope…I’m going to get Old Blue road worthy again, and hope to drive it until all my years are up).

It’s paint has faded gently over the years, and I love the faded look. I’ll keep it clean, but I don’t care about waxing it, so I don’t care about a shine. I went to the paint store one day for 5 gallons of Lacquer thinner that I use for cleaning, and while someone went to get it, the guy who mixes paint said, I saw you driving Old Blue the other day.

I said yep, and told him about my paint plans. A few minutes later he came back with a paint quote of all that I was going to need when I got ready. Base coat-clear coat, and all the trimmings…..$1,957.00!
I said Doug, you didn’t listen to me. I plan this to be a daily driver for the rest of my life. I’m not spending that kind of money.

I called Hot Rod Flats in Ca. and got a gallon of paint, a quart for touching up, reducers, hardners, stirring sticks, strainers, all in a satin finish for $193.00. Matching my original color of ( Skylight Blue ) perfectly.

Now I just need time to prep and paint. But the way that’s going, that may be a while, but hopefully this Winter.