Oil absorbent rag in an engine

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

shipwrecked
United States of America

Oil absorbent rag in an engine

Post by shipwrecked »

Wonder what happens when someone of a lowest pay grade puts an oil absorbent rag into the brand new rebuilt generator on the ship you just spent 4 weeks making it happen..? You get your new to you engine rebuilt.

Dumb dumb put an oil rag inside the lube oil pump and didn't tell anyone or bother to remove it. We started it up and noticed no oil pressure at the governor which should have taken over.
Fiber bits thru the whole engine. It forces another 5 week rebuild. Main bearings showing signs of FOD.

F it. I am taking leave when I turn this ship back over to the real Engineer Officer.
I was supposed to deploy a month ago...
This was the start of this a few weeks ago

Last edited by shipwrecked on September 23, 2022, 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
shipwrecked
United States of America

Re: Oil absorbent rag in an engine

Post by shipwrecked »

Engine is scheduled to come out again on the 3rd. everything we did in that video is happening again.

What a huge waste of money/time/manpower.

I know the report of investigation came out and cleared my crew of any wrong doing. The support detachment was identified twice as the cause of casualty and more stringent accountability of them is going into effect.

The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63