The amazing spirit of some people

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

My wife's nightmare
United States of America

The amazing spirit of some people

Post by My wife's nightmare »

It is strange some of the things you run across out on the highway. There's a stretch of a four-lane that I travel for work fairly often and its not uncommon to pass someone with car trouble. Lots of times there's no one around and a white rag is hanging off the mirror. For some reason I had noticed a Dodge Caravan in the opposite lane that appeared to have a right front tire issue. As I was going the other way and wasn't going to cross the median, I wished them luck in my head and continued on to my work assignment. I didn't return home the same way that evening, so I didn't know if the van had been fixed or not. Strangely enough I had to travel that same way two days later and notice the van was still on the side of the road. I did return home that same way that afternoon sure enough the van was still there and on my side of the highway this time. I pulled off behind it and could see a lady sitting on the tire that had been removed from the right front. I asked if I could do anything for her and she said she was ok but let me ask him if he needed anything. Him was laying under the front of the van and said thank you but he was about finished. Of course I had to ask what he was almost finished with and he told me almost finished changing the timing belt!! I couldn't believe what I just heard, but he was telling the truth. The lady then said they were able to get a ride to the pull-a-part that morning to get a "new" belt tensioner and should be back on the road soon. She also said they had been there for a week!! I felt like such a heel. I had rode by them two days ago and even though it wasn't real feasible for me to have offered them any help that day, I still felt terrible. They were both very friendly and appreciative that I had stopped but they were ok and didn't need anything. I wanted so badly to help him do something because I had my worktruck full of tools but he said all was good. I noticed his tools and we have more tools in our junk drawer in the kitchen than he did! This man had just changed the timing belt on a frontwheel drive minivan on the side of an interstate with not even a handful of tools!! An amazing feat of skill and determination! It also really got to me that out of the hundreds of vehicles that passed them every day, they had to do this on the side of the road and "live" there for a week. I did notice they were gone the next time I went by there. I wish I'd made more effort earlier but it seems it all worked out. I'm not sure I would have attempted changing that timing belt in my garage. I salute you sir, wherever you are now!!
chris401
United States of America

Re: The amazing spirit of some people

Post by chris401 »

I usually stop to help because the scenerio you came across will run through my mind till I do stop. Most of the time it is nothing or they have a phone. At least I know someone won't get robbed, kidnapped or killed when I could have made a difference. Thanks' for posting your experience.
Chris
slick4x4
United States of America

Re: The amazing spirit of some people

Post by slick4x4 »

I guess he knew what he was doing
I know I would never attempt a feat that complicated on the side of a road
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER