slick cobra hauler

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

a2z64

slick cobra hauler

Post by a2z64 »

saw this in Old Cars Weekly magazine, one of six trucks used by the Shelby American Racing Team in 1966 to haul around his cobras. The magazine had a picture of how it originally looked, someone converted it to a flatbed. It would be sweet but a little out of my price range.

http://www.rmauctions.com/CarDetails.cf ... eCode=AZ08
Alan
Low 64 F100
49 F1
51 Studebaker Champion
Jarrod

Post by Jarrod »

That guy is off his nut. Just because someone crapped some Shelby parts on the truck or the fact it hauled cobra or two, does not justify the 80,000 - 120,000 estiate. I think some one got too happy with the zeros
Cheers,
Jarrod
f100matt

Post by f100matt »

Find the same truck without Shelby painted on the side and you could drop a couple of those zeros. :roll:
-1966 Ford F100, 352, 4 speed, smoke grey, mustang buckets
-2003 Ford Ranger XL, 3.0, 5 speed
-1989 Ford F250, 460, highboy, 4x4
Hawkrod
United States of America

Post by Hawkrod »

Jarrod wrote:That guy is off his nut. Just because someone crapped some Shelby parts on the truck or the fact it hauled cobra or two, does not justify the 80,000 - 120,000 estiate. I think some one got too happy with the zeros

Somebody is nuts, but if they can document that it is really a team Cobra truck then it isn't them! If that really is what they say it is then I think they are nuts as it should bring quite a bit more than the estimate. You are not just talking about a truck that hauled a Cobra or two, you are talking about a piece of team Shelby/Cobra and that is a big deal. Hawkrod

a2z64

Post by a2z64 »

I can only tell you what the magazine article said. They claimed it was one of 6 trucks that was part of the Shelby team. It is also supposed to have autographs on the dash from two of the mechanics who were on the shelby team. The proceeds from the sale are going to the Carroll Shelby charity. They had pictures of it from the 60s, it wasn't just hauling around a couple of cobras. This was the race team that shocked the automotive world. I just thought it was kinda cool.
Alan
Low 64 F100
49 F1
51 Studebaker Champion
Truckfarmer

Post by Truckfarmer »

Hard to justify the price when it doesn't have the original bed or even style of bed on it now.
If you drove a Ford, you wouldn't need a good wrench!
Motocentro

Post by Motocentro »

That sale is targeted towards a very specific and exclusive audience. There are quite a few Shelby/Cobra fanatics who would consider purchasing this truck to haul their vintage racer around to the shows and the vintage racing circuit. And they have plenty of cash to do it. I won't be surprised when I see it make an appearance at some event somewhere down the road. . .

Heck, I could see it redone and then put on the block at Barrett-Jackson as one of their big features. . .
My new signature.
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Would be chicken feed to haul around your five million dollar cobra.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
65TremecGT
United States of America

Post by 65TremecGT »

Really cool truck, and will go for a ton of money to some rich guy!
1965 Ford F-100 Short bed Custom Cab, Worn out six for now.
1966 F-250 Ranger waiting for a 79 460/C6 + Disc Brake and PS swap
Jarrod

Post by Jarrod »

I can only tell you what the magazine article said. They claimed it was one of 6 trucks that was part of the Shelby team. It is also supposed to have autographs on the dash from two of the mechanics who were on the shelby team. The proceeds from the sale are going to the Carroll Shelby charity. They had pictures of it from the 60s, it wasn't just hauling around a couple of cobras. This was the race team that shocked the automotive world. I just thought it was kinda cool.

Cool yes. Part of racing history debatable. If this sells for the estimate amount every truck that hauled a historic car to victory such as the dodge datonas that went 200+ mph for the first time in NASCAR years ago, and all the old boniville race cars that broke 200, 300, and 400 mile per hour are going to hit the auction circuit as a part of automotive history. IMO all they did was haul the race cars.
Cheers,
Jarrod
Motocentro

Post by Motocentro »

Jarrod wrote:
Cool yes. Part of racing history debatable. If this sells for the estimate amount every truck that hauled a historic car to victory such as the dodge datonas that went 200+ mph for the first time in NASCAR years ago, and all the old boniville race cars that broke 200, 300, and 400 mile per hour are going to hit the auction circuit as a part of automotive history. IMO all they did was haul the race cars.

They hauled cobras. And that sets them apart from all the rest. The Shelby dynasty is arguably one of the most famous and important dynasties in racing history. A company (really one guy and his team) took a product produced by one of the big three and set American (as well as world-wide) racing on its ear. Shelby stands head and shoulders above daytonas, bonnie-racers and indy cars as far as iconic status is concerned.

That is to say - the market for Shelby products is not only specific, but large and well recognized. Sure there is a market for old NASCAR products and salt-flat cars, F1 and Indy but they all pale in comparison to Carroll and his status.

I mean, that's just my opinion - I could be right or wrong. . .
My new signature.
Jarrod

Post by Jarrod »

I a not knocking the history or the status of Shelby Racing. I understand very very well. I just don't view a truck used to haul a piece of automotive histoty to be necessarily automotive history itself. THats my opinion. No one is getting their feelings here I hope. We will see what it sells for. That will be the true test of ones opinion of value. Take care
Cheers,
Jarrod
Hawkrod
United States of America

Post by Hawkrod »

Jarrod wrote:I a not knocking the history or the status of Shelby Racing. I understand very very well. I just don't view a truck used to haul a piece of automotive histoty to be necessarily automotive history itself. THats my opinion. No one is getting their feelings here I hope. We will see what it sells for. That will be the true test of ones opinion of value. Take care

The point you are missing is how the Shelby program worked. The trucks were very specific and part of the presentation at events. They are well pictured in historic photos from every major event. When Team Shelby got to an event the trucks were not relegated to parking out back, they were set up as part of the display and were featured. There is also some 63 Falcon sedan deliveries and those are worth 1/4 mil or more! As far as other race car haulers, some are worth some serious beans. I went to an auction for Ermie Immerso's estate (he was Carroll Shelby's shop foreman at the LA plant) and he had a Bonneville car with a custom trailer. the car was AWOL but I quit bidding at 10K for a broken down single car trailer and watched it go beyond the price of a house. At the same auction a 32 Ford set a world record at $465,000! Amazingly the loser in the bidding war was Jay Leno who stopped at $460,000! Hawkrod

How about the factory delivery trucks?:

Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

butbut.gif This thing's a "CS500"...how many of those are there? :lol:

I think it's cool & would love to be able to see it displayed at a car show somewhere with some rich guy's Cobra...because I sure as hell can't afford it. :D
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
65TremecGT
United States of America

Post by 65TremecGT »

It is the perfect Cobra accessory toy for a rich guy, personally, I would like that Merc car hauler from the other post though!
1965 Ford F-100 Short bed Custom Cab, Worn out six for now.
1966 F-250 Ranger waiting for a 79 460/C6 + Disc Brake and PS swap
bluebolt

Cobra hauler

Post by bluebolt »

This truck sold for $66,000, must be a new record for a slick! Here is a replica Shelby hauler I found while surfing the web, much more reasonable and better looking, too bad it's already sold. http://bringatrailer.com/2007/02/28/196 ... -maryland/
YukonCor55

Re: Cobra hauler

Post by YukonCor55 »

bluebolt wrote:This truck sold for $66,000, must be a new record for a slick! Here is a replica Shelby hauler I found while surfing the web, much more reasonable and better looking, too bad it's already sold. http://bringatrailer.com/2007/02/28/196 ... -maryland/

Now that's cool! A really good price too. I wonder if you could get sued by Shelby for running it that way without getting permission or paying some sort of royalty fee? :?:
SMSgt USAF Retired
1962 Ford F-250 4 X 4, 1955 Ford Fairlane, 1955 Ford Ranch Wagon, 2002 Indian Chief & a couple of old Fender guitars...Life's Good!
"The credit belongs to the man in the arena whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...his place shall never be with those cold, timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)
Truckfarmer

Post by Truckfarmer »

The blue truck is way overpriced in my opinion. I wonder how much it would have sold for if it had a bed like the red one? It would have been ready to use then.
If you drove a Ford, you wouldn't need a good wrench!
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Well we all know that Shelby's are a rich man's game. They trade them like overpriced shells that the rest of us can just sit back and watch, like a high stakes poker game in the back of the meeting hall. To those guys, 66 grand is just a drop in the ocean and would make a great accessory to their collection.

Anybody who has ever spent any time on ebay knows that isf you add the words "Shelby" or "Boss 302" to your listing of a $10 ford part will instantly bring the bids up to the hundreds of dollars, these guys aren't bargain hunters. That's why we have Ford trucks, LOL much more frugal. So we watch the guys who aren't with amazement.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
grabber64

Post by grabber64 »

that's a good piece of history to brag on for a collection of cars to haul around or sell together on a trailer.

that is just a big truck to me.

it is cool to know who could have been at the wheel at some point. someone could buy it and haul their car to a show and have shelby himself sign them both. then you could get it to hold some value with proof on it even though his signature is scratch now.