O/T Potential market survey for parts binders group purchase

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Hawkrod
United States of America

O/T Potential market survey for parts binders group purchase

Post by Hawkrod »

Hey guys, I have been looking into binders for my parts books as I have recently purchased a rather large library of them. I was shocked to say the least when I found out the cost. A 6 inch expandable post binder is about 90 bucks just about anywhere. Ford turned out to be the cheapest amazingly enough but even with my discount it wasn't reasonable. I even went so far as to get a bid on custom ones and can get the price down if I buy 100 or more but I really only need 25 or 30. After thinking about it for a while I realized that, although it is possible, it isn't likely that I am the only person in this boat. Are any of you guys interested in a group purchase at about $50 per binder? If not is there anybody who can get a better deal or knows of a stockpile? Heck, I am even using International and Chrysler Airtemp binders but can't find enough of them. I really need to find a solution as I have dozens of boxes of loose pages and if I can get them into binders I can use the information to answer even more questions! TIA Hawkrod
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

You might try some of the industrial paper product distributors near you, they may have something sorta "plain Jane" that's cheaper.
Maybe even give Kinkos a call, I've seen binders there before...didn't really notice the prices, though.
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
Hawkrod
United States of America

Post by Hawkrod »

Trust me, I looked everywhere. These expandable post binders will kill you on price. I really can't afford 3K just for binders! here are some examples:
http://www.officeworld.com/Worlds-Biggest-Selection/ESSC6193/06Q4/

http://www.keysan.com/big/picr0006098.html

I checked locally and every surplus place I could think of. So far the ones I can get custom are the best deal but I just can't afford to meet the minimum order of 100 units. These are 4-6 inch expandable and are hard plastic like the original Ford ones. I appreciate the input though. Hawkrod
ripsnorter

Post by ripsnorter »

not to be a kiljoy here, but Costco has 3" binders for 2 or 3 for $10. why not just use some of them rather than the expandable ones?
Hawkrod
United States of America

Post by Hawkrod »

Ring binders will not work well, even D ring are bad. To protect the pages it needs to be a post binder which literally locks the edge of the pages together to keep them from tearing out. That is the reason they use them in the first place. If you want the pages to last them a post binder is really the only way to go. We will see if anybody is interested as I have posted on about a dozen forums and so far I only have about 1/2 dozen people interested so this may not be something anybody else cares about. Obviously I don't want to buy 100 and get stuck with 60 extras! I may end up just buying the Ford binders as I did get one dealership that will order 25 of them for me at dealer cost but that still comes in near 2k after tax and shipping
DocDave

Post by DocDave »

What a shame, I threw out a set of at least 20 about 10 years ago. If I had known what they were worth I would have sold them, but nobody I could find wanted them then(all gone to electronic data)
Know any old autoparts stores going out of bussiness, Maybe an old garage that closed back in the 70's?
Dave
From a guy without his Ford that he left on a rock in the North Atlantic.
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

I'll check at work and see if they have any old ones laying around. Seeings as we no longer have Olds and Caddy there could be some.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.