Weight of 1966 F100

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Polcat

Weight of 1966 F100

Post by Polcat »

Does any one have the weight specifications of a 1966 F100 SWB. I am wanting to change the front springs on my truck and need to find out the adverage weight on the front axle. I am trying to do this without going and having it weighted so if any idea please let me know. Thanks
BigTim

Post by BigTim »

A buddy of mine weighed his 66 SWB 4x2. It was 3800 lbs., low on fuel with a 460, and a C6. Now if we could just figure how much of that is on the front axle, 60 to 70 percent would be my wild guess.
Ford4jack

Post by Ford4jack »

It depends on what engine you have.

If you go with stock ford springs they are color coded for diffrent engines
I know yellow is for a 6 cly.

If you go with aftermarket springs they should be the same length but if you get stock ford springs the should be different lengths

If you get a set that has a height diffrence the tall one should go to the drivers side. This seems strange because the engine sets off to the passenger side but if you look at where the I beams cross it makes sense

on aftermarket ones just let the person your getting them from know what engine you have

I hope this helps
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

I'm pretty sure the 61-64 trucks are lighter than the later models and Nadine weighed in at a whopping 3780#'s on the truck scales. The weight bias F/R is pretty close to 70/30 so figure from there.
If you're going to go to the junk yard, just get a set of V-8 springs. If you're going to buy new, call Carpenter or Carolina Classics and tell them what you want. If you're lucky and have a spring maker near you, ask them for springs with about a 2600 # rating (that would be both sides together). IMHO there isn't really any real benifit of having springs that are to stiff.
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
61ford

Post by 61ford »

if youre needing a set of springs ive got them im going with a crown vic front suspension
Ryan

61 Ford f100 Unibody short bed
351w/Aod
six-two

Post by six-two »

I have no idea what you are doing so this might not help, but if your springs are "tired" sometimes you can get them re-arced at a shop. I would guess that with labor prices these days unless you get a really good deal that you could by new ones for less. I guess if anyone has done this, let us know what it cost. (If this revelant to this thread) Just trying to help. BTW, is Hutto close to Marlin?

_______________________________six-two
Polcat

Post by Polcat »

Actually what I am doing is wanting to buy a set of drag springs for the front to help keep the front up when I take off. We installed a set on a friend of mines firebird and really made a difference in how his car launched. So I am trying to get it pretty close what I need as far as weight.
12.66@101 in the 1/4 mile!!
On bad FE!! Still working on it!!
BigTim

Post by BigTim »

Would a set of 90/10 drag shocks work better?
Polcat

Post by Polcat »

My plan is to install both of them. thatis what we did on my friends fired bird was a set of Moroso trick springs and some 90/10 drag struts. so yeah I believe a combination of the two will work great...
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

Weight should be on your title.
Jim
Mazlem

Post by Mazlem »

My '66 w/ a 302 and no tailgate weighs 3520lbs. Yours should be ~3800 with the 352. Wikipedia says the 352 weighs ~750lbs.
Polcat

Post by Polcat »

It is hard to believe that engine wieghts that much more but it does. I appreciate all the information. Now it is just a matter of finding the right springs. I have moved my battery to the rear fo the bed and also the removed the tank from beind the seat. I have fuel cell mounted behind the rear axle, so my ratio of wieght on the front to rear axle has changed so I am figuring their is about 60% of the wieght is on the front now instead of 70% cause i have also moved the engine back about 2 inches. well shall see!!