Throttle Cable for a 351 Slick

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

*1bad66*

Throttle Cable for a 351 Slick

Post by *1bad66* »

I have a 66 f-100 with a 351w, C6 and the throttle bracket off the 352 would not bolt up to the 351. Then I got a bracket off a 71 with a 302 and it still doesnt work. Does anyone know about using a Lokar cable or some other type of setup. I also have a problem with the kickdown for the C6. The one I have will not fit between the head and the firewall. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
66 F-100 351W
Shawn F.

Post by Shawn F. »

I just ran into this problem as well. The stock cable on mine was way too long and the bracket was too close to the fire wall. I went to www.speedwaymotors.com and got their braided Lokar throttle cable and bracket. Problem solved. People said you can shorten the stock cable but I didn't see how so I just bought that Lokar. The black one is nice which was the one I was going to get but for a few bucks more you can get a braided one so I did that instead.
If you get lokar then here is the only mod you have to do... On your gas pedal take that ball off. Grind the back side of the ball (the rivet looking thing) off flush and then get a punch and knock the ball out. The hole left will be perfect for the clevis on the new cable to hook your pedal up. Hard to explain but if you buy the cable then you will see what I mean.
Is this the problem your having with the cable too long and engine too close to the firewall?
*1bad66*

Post by *1bad66* »

Thanks for the reply. Yes that was my problem plus the throttle cable bracket that bolts to the intake on the original 352 would not bolt up to my 351w. I was curious what kind of bracket comes with the lokar cable to hold the cable. Does it bolt to carb or intake? Also are you running a sb ford and if you are what kind of kickdown did you use. Also what did you do with the cable when it went through the firewall? Sorry for bombarding you with questions, but Ireally appreciate the help. Thanks
66 F-100 351W
Shawn F.

Post by Shawn F. »

No problem, ask away that's what we are here for! First off, the throttle bracket comes seperate and it's 20 bucks. It bolts to the stud on the manifold that holds your carb on. VERY easy to bolt up, only takes 5 minutes. I had to file mine down on the side a little so it would go over the stud without hitting the carb but you may not have that issue and if so then you will see what I mean it's not a big deal at all. With filing it down a little then 8 minutes.
The throttle cable can go through the stock existing hole in the firewall perfectly. Mine is in there tight and it fills the whole nicely, no drilling or nothing. Just make sure when you cut the braided lining to leave an extra 2 inches for engine movement.
Yes I own a 66 F100 with a 351W and I do NOT have a kickdown cable, I have a C4 in it but no kickdown cable... Which trannies have kickdown cables? LOL sorry that is a dumb question but I do not know that.
ABA

Post by ABA »

Later model AOD trannies have cables.
I had a 351W police issue in my '72 bumpside shorty with AOD but it had a kickdown rod. Engine and trans were out of a '83 Crown Vic.
'01 F150 Lightning
490RWHP
Gas Mileage? What's that?
Jerry
*1bad66*

Post by *1bad66* »

Thanks guys for the replies it really helped me out. I think I will definetly just go ahead and order the lokar cable and bracket. As far as the kickdown goes I got my kickdown rod off a econoline van with a 351w and a C6. I thought that it would work but there is not enough clearance between the firewall and the cylinder head. A kickdown attachs to the carburetor and to the transmission. It is for when you accelerate fast to pass a car or whatever it drops your transmission into low gear for faster acceleration. Thanks again
66 F-100 351W
six-two

Post by six-two »

This might not help much because I haven't installed mine yet and can't give any installation tips, but you can get a universal accelerator cable assembly made by Spectre at Checker/Autozone, etc. for about $25. You also need the bracket for it, I think(?) it's about $25 also. It's braided metal and looks cool, plus you can buy it locally. I have a 351 Cleveland in my 62 unibody and it looks like it's gonna work fine. I have no idea if it is quality or not as I have no experience with this brand, just thought you might like to know about another option. I had a previous thread about this topic, and it sounds like it is not easy to find a good cheap replacement.

_________________________________six-two
BigTim

Post by BigTim »

six-two wrote:This might not help much because I haven't installed mine yet and can't give any installation tips, but you can get a universal accelerator cable assembly made by Spectre at Checker/Autozone, etc. for about $25. You also need the bracket for it, I think(?) it's about $25 also. It's braided metal and looks cool, plus you can buy it locally.

I picked one of those up last night. I looked at amd comparedit for some time last night. I am going to look at Lokars before I tear into the package. I can't decide if it will work OK or be a pain.
Shawn F.

Post by Shawn F. »

From my experience the Spectra stuff is OK but sometimes a pain in the you know what to get it to work right and it wont last. Some things are fine but some aren't. Lokar makes a kickdown bracket and kit that is very nice and will work. All you do is measure and fit to length. Lokar is expensive I know but I have already learned a few times that it's better to just spend the extra 20-50 bucks and be DONE with going back and fixing things. Lokar has good customer service as well and can help you through anything. I just started using lokar after putting Lokar products on customers rides and not my own I saw that it was good stuff so now I use it.
Geeze I sound like a Lokar sellsman. LOL
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

Lojar is nice stuff, but I have had good luck with what they call "Like-Lokar" on eBay.

I got mine for $25 with shipping and have had 0 problems. (came with the bracket too)

like this one
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
Shawn F.

Post by Shawn F. »

There ya go, that is EXACTLY like Lokar. Looks the same from the bracket to the lock nuts and ends.