any military slick owners here?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ezernut9mm
Sweden

any military slick owners here?

Post by ezernut9mm »

ok, that came out kind of ambiguous-what i mean is, does anyone here own an ex-military slick?
i was looking at a 61 the other day and found a nominclature tag on the right upper inner fenderwell. i can't remember what all wa on it, but it did say "property of u.s. government" and the date of delivery and some other stuff. i have never seen one of these before and i need to go back and get a pic of it. i couldn't tell which branch took delivery because the truck was repainted and i couldn't find any of the original color in the short amount of time i had.
it also had a 64/66 short bed on it that needed the floor redone quite badly. other than the paint, it looked very stock with the oilbath air breather, screwtop single bore, and generator. it also had the original wheels and coke bottle hubcaps.
it was fairly rust free, but the front cab mounts and lower core support were getting ready, but everything wtill lined up ok if you know what i mean.
he wants 3500 for it and i think that's a little high. i'm going to get some pics sometime this week.
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Hi and welcome to the group.
Yes, the USAF (mostly) had stepside slicks by the thousands. They were used primarily as flight line trucks and for the Military Police as patrol vehicles.
I know because I grew up on Air Force bases and remember seeing them everywhere.
As I recall, most of them were V-8 trucks but I never knew why. They rarely got over 30 mph on base.
If you find one of these, chances are it will be one of the best surviving Slicks around because they were never driven off of flat, smooth concrete..... and they were maintained just like the aircraft. They will be a medium AF blue. My first Slick was a '62 step side I bought in Little Rock, Arkansas that got stolen from a body shop along with about 5 other cars. I never understood why a thief would steal and "old" truck.
I'm thinking that some of them are still lurking around in salvage pools at bases throughout the country if one could find them.
Hope you bring her back to original glory and enjoy having a very rare and special truck indeed.
Uncle Skip aka U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
Max
United States of America

Post by Max »

The first place I went looking for a Slick was military surplus auctions and gov't. lots. Didn't have much luck - I think you would be real lucky to find one still owned by the military due to age, but would be pretty nice if there was a hidden supply someplace (with an associated supply of parts of course).

Skip, we get our flightline vehicles waaaaaaaaaay past 30 all the time. But only at night, on the taxiway, with all of the lights off, after 10 pm... chasing rabbits.

Max :wink:
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Somebody has one of those trucks at the show-n-shine at the school at Slickstock 1.. danged if I can remember who, or where it came from.. can't find a pic either

durn CRS
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
6Slick5

Post by 6Slick5 »

In the Air Force we used to have a 69 Chebby step side with inline six and three on the tree. It was the maintenance or Crew Chiefs truck. It was inline 6, three on the tree, and very rust free. We washed it and waxed it enough to rub the paint thin.

We used it to go on base from the alert pad, normally no more than 30 mph. One night while off the pad at the base gym the klaxon went off and that poor little truck. I missed second gear, shoved it into reverse dropped the clutch and had the pedal to the floor. :oops: Amazingly it didn't break anything, started right back up and gave all it had getting back to the pad.

A couple of months later somebody broke the shifter off. The repair part was, I think about $20 but the truck only had $10 left they would spend on it. So off it went and us Crew Chiefs went without for a long time.
:cry:

That was about 1983, so finding a Slick now would be hard.

Never mind how we drove the new Dodge 6 pack trucks with the 360 and 4 barrel carbs :wink: :wink:

Have Fun!
Marty
65 F-100
94 F-150 (Daily Driver)
2006 Vibe (Wife's Car)
65 Karmen Ghia (Son's Car)
Iron Horse Bicycle, trying to save some gas money!
NJ2000R

Post by NJ2000R »

I saw a USAF 1 ton dump rotting away in a field in NY state, original tires and low miles, but the camp that had it couldnt sell it for some reason
1963 F-250 4x4 custom cab 292 4-speed
1963 F-250 no motor but a nice rust free body, cost $120.00
1966 F-250 utility 390 auto, cost $103.00 on evilbay
My Photos at Superford.org
2000 Cobra R #262 of 300
1995 Cobra R #223 of 250 (IMSA/Grand Am "Hacker Express" #00)
1993 Cobra R #38 of 107 (SpeedVision World Challenge "Program Motorsports" car)
2006 F-350 Crew Cab Diesel 4x4 King Ranch
Bills 66

I have one

Post by Bills 66 »

1965 1/2 ton short step side origanally a 6cyl 3 speed. It has a metal plate riveted on the dash with military info. Came fom the Army.
Bill
65TremecGT
United States of America

Post by 65TremecGT »

My fist slick was an ex army short step, build up prerunner. My dad and I just were given a 66 flatbed F-250 that was a Marine vehicle. Its an F-250 with 1 ton fenders, and 19.5 inch front wheels. (needs the fenders to clear those old skool "dubs") Looks like a Dana 60 single rear wheel axle and has the factory flatbed. It had a 6 cyl and a four speed on the bed when we got it. We were going to part and scrap it but we decided to push it to the back of the list and see if we get around to it!
1965 Ford F-100 Short bed Custom Cab, Worn out six for now.
1966 F-250 Ranger waiting for a 79 460/C6 + Disc Brake and PS swap
Hawkrod
United States of America

Post by Hawkrod »

My slick is from the City of Oroville in Ca. Not military but Government issue anyway! My 76 CrewCab is ex-military if that counts, it is Strata Blue and was a runway truck. Probably the most solid project I ever bought! Hawkrod
65backagain

Post by 65backagain »

My 1965 has still has the US property tag on the glovebox door. (see gallery)

I am sure it came from Barkesdale AFB.

Steve
Truckfarmer

Post by Truckfarmer »

The military stepside that was at the original Slickstock is the middle truck in this photo from the 2006 Dash to the Dells.

http://badgerlandf100s.com/photos/main. ... itemId=362

and here it is solo.....

http://badgerlandf100s.com/photos/main. ... itemId=648
If you drove a Ford, you wouldn't need a good wrench!
65TremecGT
United States of America

Post by 65TremecGT »

Anyone have a pair of those 19.5 inch wheels?
1965 Ford F-100 Short bed Custom Cab, Worn out six for now.
1966 F-250 Ranger waiting for a 79 460/C6 + Disc Brake and PS swap
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

65backagain wrote:My 1965 has still has the US property tag on the glovebox door. (see gallery)

I am sure it came from Barkesdale AFB.

Steve

that looks exactly like the tag on the 61 i was looking at, but it was on the right inner fender close to the core support. i'm going to try and get a pic this weekend when no one is around.
always

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
F-Zilla

Post by F-Zilla »

I retired from the Navy and I have two slicks, does that count?
BUY FORD, SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL MOTOR COMPANY!

65 F100
66 F100
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

F-Zilla wrote:I retired from the Navy and I have two slicks, does that count?

yep. e-beer for you! :cheers:
always

ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

my 61 f500 has a little tag on the inside of the door that says ALASKA AIRLINES.the original color appears to be govt. dark blue, but has been painted so many times any lettering on the original paint would be impossible to detect.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton