shortening the steering column

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

realisticretiredone

shortening the steering column

Post by realisticretiredone »

I just put an aod with a lorkar nastalgia floor shifter in my 65 f100. Now I want to get rid of the column shifter. My truck has power steering using the newer ford box and the newer column. I have a 65 column from a 4 speed truck. Now here is my question, if the ear for the rag joint has to be welded on the end of the shaft why can't the 2 1/2 inches to make the column shorter be taken from that end of the shaft and posibly not having to move the mounting bracket for the dash mount. Any and all comments welcomed. Merry Christmas to all.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

just use the tube from the 4 speed column and shorten it at the bottom end if needed .i have done this when changing from auto trans to 4 speed.seems a whole lot easier than shortening the actual shaft unless i am missing something here.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

I think Flaming River, IDIDIT or one of those companys also makes rag joint flanges that "bolt on". You might search their sites and see if something there would help.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
realisticretiredone

what I'am trying to do is get the steering wheel back down to a comfortable or original position. I will be using an original steering wheel.
realisticretiredone

There is quite a bit of the main shaft sticking out on the end of the column
mikecarson

Post by mikecarson »

http://www.fordification.com/steering-column.htm

I would guess you could cut it where ever was most convenient for you.
Mike C
64 CC, Crown Vic project
62 CC
67short 94 F150, 433W
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive body, but to skid in sideways - body worn out and screaming: Woo Hoo, what a ride!"
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

With regards to the 4 speed column only (columns with shift mechs are MUCH more complicated), everything I have read and seem says that you can just shorten the shaft.

The dash mount can stay.

The flange where the column goes through the firewall needs to be the correct one for Power Steering, as the Saginaw PS box changes the angle of the column such that it goes through the firewall about 3/4" higher.

The flange from later trucks has a nice "PS" stamped on it.

Check out the fordification site for lots more info.

Install everything, then measure carefully how much too far the steering wheel is sticking into the cab. Then take the shaft out, take it to a reputable machinist and have them remove the approx 2 inches and re-attach the rag joint.
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

Planned/considered upgrades:
Perhaps power brakes, 300 I6 motor and JUST maybe, AC!