leaky cowl box

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

sasquatch in ford

leaky cowl box

Post by sasquatch in ford »

hey guys. I have a '63 with a leaky seam in the cowl box. Every time it rains, the water drains in and floods the right floorboard. When it rains REAL hard, water DUMPS in right in the middle, and looks like it's gonna fry the radio.

The drains are not plugged up, as when I run a hose in the inlet, it pours out inside the fenders like its supposed to. It just has a big leak in there. (but it's not a rust hole)

I figured you guys have probably experienced this and was wondering what kinds of fixes you came up with.
Thanks.
Frank.
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Frank.
Are you sure you don't have a leaking windshield rubber?
Get someone to spray the front of the truck, one area at a time while you lay in the floorboard (doors and windows closed of course :wink: ) and look for the leak with a flashlight. I'm betting its going to be the bottom corner of the windshield.
I have a new windshield and new windshield rubber and thats where mine leaked.
Keep us posted.
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

Directly above the radio is the wiper pivot. Replace the old leather seals with new seals.

Number one cause of cowl leaks in the center of the dash.

Garbz
ras4434

Post by ras4434 »

Sasquatch: My 66 has the same problem. Its first 5 years was on the Oregon Coast and the salt sat in the Cowl trough and it leaks right at the seam.. It leaks on both sides and onto the floor pans which now are almost gone ( I know how Fred Flintstone felt). The second owner tried to pour an elasto seal (liquid white rubber roofing) down there and it really cobbed it inot a real mess. I will probably have to start at the seam and start replacing the sheet metal. The amazing thing is that other than the cab drip rails the rest of the rig including the core support and cab corners are in great shepe, go figure. I look forward to see what others ideas are for this fix. Good Luck..........Ross
sasquatch in ford

Post by sasquatch in ford »

Hey garbz, I think you are closest to my issue. Do you know of some place I can get new seals, or should I just make some out of bike innertubes? In fact, I think the seals have gone awol. I had everything torn apart last summer when I was doing paint and I never saw any sort of seals in there.

To the guy talking about rust, a rusted cowl is not a problem for me, but the floorboards are looking iffy. Did you find replacement floorboards somewhere? My biggest thing about the floor is that the cab mount cones look really flaky.

The truck is practically rust free- except the tailgate, stake pockets and floorboards. go figure. all the places where big gobs of dirt got stuck for eons.
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

I think Garbz is probly close. my 63 did that too, no seals at all.

As for the cab mounts, you are better off making you own. the repro ones are not that good.

How to make your own

CC has the floors, they make them so they are the cheepest.

check out my pics to see what I am up against!
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread