Frame Swap Help 66 F250 2wd

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Thunderboy

Frame Swap Help 66 F250 2wd

Post by Thunderboy »

I'd appreciate input from anyone who has experience with this. Mark (Hoofbeat Racer) has been very helpful, but I'd like other experiences too.

I am putting my slick body on a 74 F250 Camper Special frame. I was inspired to do this after reading this website and Fordification.com info regarding this swap because I want to update the suspension, steering, brakes and fuel tanks. I plan to tow an enclosed two axle trailer, and one day add a retro cabover camper, too, so I want to keep two fuel tanks.

I am attempting to fit the floor of the bed of the 66 to the frame of the 74. I think I read that one can trim two inches off the rear of the frame. Anyone done it that way? What else was necessary? I've needed to trim away some of the rear bed reinforcement at the rear bolt holes to make this line up. Have any of you moved any of the crossmembers?

I know the 6 rear bed mounting bolt holes don't line up with the 74 frame. I have welded 1/4 inch plate pieces inboard of the frame rails to line up. My main issue is regarding spacing the bed mounts at the frame. The frame at the axle curve hits the floor of the bed, so I think I need to space this upward. It appears that about 3/8 to 1/2 inch spacers would work to do this (I put wood blocks on the frame to determine this). I am concerned that this will prevent the bed from lining up with the cab, height-wise. How did any of you resolve this? Could I rake the bed slightly (rear of bed higher than front to keep front line on side of bed to match?) I have the cab at the body shop 90 minutes away, so I can't be sure about this. If any of you have suggestions, or another approach to resolving this, I would appreciate it!

Drew
don morris II

Post by don morris II »

hi
im using a 79 4x4 frame with a 66 body for the box i used 3/4x3in. vinel i found at the lowes it comes in 8 foot lingths for 13 bucks easy to drill and cut . i will shim the body to match hope this helps :D
FORD, FAST, FLYING, FIRST, ALL START WITH F IS,NT THAT "SLICK"