1963 F100 Ice Cream Truck Project

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Nogo

Post by Nogo »

Hey guys, thanks for all the positive feedback.

Yeah I was looking for one of these old ice cream trucks for a long time, finally got lucky and came across one.

I really want to get it running and driving just for the summer, I'll work on the paint, body and other little things this fall.

I have a bunch of other ice cream vehicles and do it on the side in the summer, so I don't have a whole lot of time to wrench when it's sunny and nice out. You can check out pictures of what I got on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30410674@N08/

Now to answer a few of the questions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
-From Ezernut9mm "here is "the good humor man"'s website.
-
-http://www.goodhumortrucks.com/"

I know Carl, have emailed him a bit, he's a good guy and he has some really nice trucks.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-From Slick4x4 "
-that will be sweet...
-would be nice if you would get it to SS4...
-i know if it is there , I'll scream..."

Dude, what's SS4?
------------------------------------------------------------------------

-From Gnat "Small world! I called on that truck a while ago. Talked to the -owner in Florida. How'd you get it back to Wisconsin? He said the gas -tank was junk. Glad to see it went to someone on the site."

I called on it last year an supposidly it had been sold, then I came across it again this April. The price was right so I bought it on the spot and had it transported up to me in Wisconsin. The tank is junk, there is no carb, steering box is shot, and the brakes need work. Everything else seems ok so far, just have to get it running.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-From jwh F-100 " You'll want to think about brakes. In 63, one year only, the slicks had single sided wheel cylinders. You can upgrade to a dual piston wheel cylinder or even disc brakes."

What would be the best upgrade or swap for the brakes? I plan on using and driving this truck a lot in the summer and I have to make sure it can stop for all the big and little kiddies who want some ice cream.
_----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-From crey "Is it refrigerated or is it for Dry Ice??
Are you going to leave it an Ice Cream Truck??"

It has a cold plate freezer in it and it will definatly stay an Ice Cream Truck.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll post some more questions in the truck talk section about swaps and such to get it running and driving.

Thanks,
Craig
jwh f-100
United States of America

Post by jwh f-100 »

Nogo wrote:What would be the best upgrade or swap for the brakes? I plan on using and driving this truck a lot in the summer and I have to make sure it can stop for all the big and little kiddies who want some ice cream.

On my '62 with dual piston I just rebuilt the complete system and installed a dual master cylinder. It was fairly inexpensive and the brakes are SOOOO much better then they were. I considered the disc upgrade but felt where I live I would be just fine with the drums if working properly.

If I had a '63 with the odd brakes and needed to spend alot just to stay with drums I would have upgraded to discs and never looked back...

Take a look at Greg D's "how to" on the disc upgrade...
http://fordtruk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2647
Jason

Beer will change the world.

I don't know how but it will.
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

-From Slick4x4 "
-that will be sweet...
-would be nice if you would get it to SS4...
-i know if it is there , I'll scream..."

Dude, what's SS4?

go to... Slick Stock IV - 2010....
and its about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on.....
but theres no potato salad....
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
Kid
United States of America

Post by Kid »

Next Year there might be potato salad................Kid
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

if there is any potato salad i will be in the far corner with my ten foot pole. lol
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
Truckfarmer2

Post by Truckfarmer2 »

Welcome to the club! You have a very neat truck! I am also a member of Badgerland F100's. The core members are from the Madison area. I can hook you up with guys up there and I have parted several of trucks. I am about 200 miles south of Madison.
Mark your calendar for Sept18-20 for the 20th anniversary of Dash to the Dells/unofficial panel truck nationals. It is a show for Ford trucks and any brand panel truck. The big door prize this year is a F100 frame with FatMan/Heidts IFS and FatMan fatbar 9" rearend
If you continue to buy imports, where will your children work?
Nogo

Post by Nogo »

Truckfarmer2 wrote:Welcome to the club! You have a very neat truck! I am also a member of Badgerland F100's. The core members are from the Madison area. I can hook you up with guys up there and I have parted several of trucks. I am about 200 miles south of Madison.
Mark your calendar for Sept18-20 for the 20th anniversary of Dash to the Dells/unofficial panel truck nationals. It is a show for Ford trucks and any brand panel truck. The big door prize this year is a F100 frame with FatMan/Heidts IFS and FatMan fatbar 9" rearend

Sounds good, give me a hook up for the Badgerland F100's. And if you or anyone you know has a carb for a 223, let me know. I really want to at least get her running. Brakes don't look too bad except for the back rubber hoses.. and I definatly need a new steering box too. Been scrounging the yards up here and parts are few. Can't wait to breath some life back into this great old truck.

Thanks,
Craig
Truckfarmer2

Post by Truckfarmer2 »

If you continue to buy imports, where will your children work?
The Good Humor Man

Post by The Good Humor Man »

Those trucks were built by Hackney Brothers in Wilson, NC.

I hate to correct you, but that truck was made by American body out of Texas. That is one that Craig missed.
All the ones that were open on the drivers side, and were that body style were made by American body.
They were mostly the west coast trucks.
They did make trucks for Good Humor in the LA area of CA.
All the Chicago area, and east coast trucks were made by Hackney Bros.

I also called the guy to buy that truck, but with a 3 spd, I passed.

Craig is a good guy, and will give that truck a good home.

I haven't been around much, I sold my 64 pickup, and I also just sold all the below.

I am looking to buy some more GH trucks if anyone knows of any for sale.

I am just buying, restoring, and selling them now. I have stopped doing events due to the bad economy, corporations were not spending money anymore.

Craig, let me know what you need, I have lots of parts sitting around.

You can't put a price on a good time.