whistles 66 camper

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

olliesshop
United States of America

Post by olliesshop »

Brian Taylor wrote:Can not wait to see the finished product. Not sure but those look like old Mercedes seats. The Archeology is the most fun.
Ditto ... I was thinking they were old MB seats also, I don't know why, but I think it's the shape of the headrests that was the clue. Such fun !!!
Tim - 1961 F250 Uni
"Big Red" pictures ... http://olliesshop.smugmug.com/Trucks
Current build thread ... viewtopic.php?f=32&t=29505
rwhistles
United States of America

Post by rwhistles »

It hasen't rained in couple weeks so I decided to take the roof off.

I wonder if I'm starting a project or opening a can of worms.

Minor water damage huh sure thing. I know all the cabinets are good so with the roof off I can remove and store them and then jump on the walls.I'm takeing lots of pics and measurements of how it's built and wired. Already saw a lot of improvements I can make in the construction. I got a little hot so now I'm in the house cooling of and drinking a pepsi.Maybe do a little more when it cools of.
1961 F350 pick up
1966 F350 camper
Hoofbeat Racer
Canada

Post by Hoofbeat Racer »

that camper is awesome, good luck with the resto.
Mark

rwhistles
United States of America

Post by rwhistles »

Well, I got quite a bit done on the camper today. First, I pulled all the doors and windows. Then, I pulled all the skin off of the right side. Now, I've mentioned the phrase "slight water damage" before, well here is a prime example of slight water damage.

This camper is not repairable, a friend told me I had a good start on a flat bed. But, being the hard headed cuss that I am, I still want it to be a camper. So, I will take carefull measurements of everything as I tear it down and transfer them to this picture. Then, I will have a blueprint and picture in one. I thought I could reuse the cabinets, but there is some water damage to them, also. Maybe, I can replace the damaged areas and reuse them because I want something from the original, so it wont be a completely new camper. Seeing as how it's not repairable, I will have to tear it down to the frame and rebuild from there.
1961 F350 pick up
1966 F350 camper
62galxe

Post by 62galxe »

not repairable but its rebuildable. slight water damage is kinda like ran when parked. :lol:
1963 uni PATINA BLUE
1965 short bed
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

hey, at least it's not a pass through cab. lol
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
olliesshop
United States of America

Post by olliesshop »

WOW !!! You have some work ahead of you. That's much worse that I was hoping for you. I'm glad your going to keep it a camper, though. Are you going build it out of wood or use steel for the framing, etc.?
Tim - 1961 F250 Uni
"Big Red" pictures ... http://olliesshop.smugmug.com/Trucks
Current build thread ... viewtopic.php?f=32&t=29505
rwhistles
United States of America

Post by rwhistles »

While it's not a true pass through the rear window has been removed and a rubber adapter of sorts connects the cab and the camper.

I plan on rebuilding as close to origional as possible. It will have a wood frame with quite a few upgrades. It plan on geting all new appliances. I would like to go all electric but thats not feasable. I need LP for the fridge and range.I am going to replace the furnance with a roof mount heat pump for heat and AC. Suprizeingly the appliances are not all that costly.
1961 F350 pick up
1966 F350 camper
Brian Taylor
United States of America

Post by Brian Taylor »

To save some weight have you thought about using aluminum studs, like they use in commercial buildings.
1966 Ford F-100 LWB 300
1965 F350

Post by 1965 F350 »

WOW! You are a brave soul.
But, more power to you! At the very lease you have a great truck.
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

Brian Taylor wrote:To save some weight have you thought about using aluminum studs, like they use in commercial buildings.
That is a good idea.

You could also do a lot of subframe work with Al to make it lighter and less prone to water damage.

I have wanted to do this too...just no time. :(
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
F7BIGJOB
Location: West Greenwich, Rhode Island & Providence Plantations
United States of America

Post by F7BIGJOB »

rwhistles wrote:While it's not a true pass through the rear window has been removed and a rubber adapter of sorts connects the cab and the camper.

I plan on rebuilding as close to origional as possible. It will have a wood frame with quite a few upgrades. It plan on geting all new appliances. I would like to go all electric but thats not feasable. I need LP for the fridge and range.I am going to replace the furnance with a roof mount heat pump for heat and AC. Suprizeingly the appliances are not all that costly.
Check the roof mount a/c-heat pump info first, the heat pump will take the edge off, BUT will not operate at temps below 40^f.
F7BIGJOB
-Steve

1965 F-250 4x4 Flareside

ImageImage
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Steve it only goes below 40* for about 4 days a year down there so thats not a big problem :D.

Rick
if it aint broke fix it till it is :D
F7BIGJOB
Location: West Greenwich, Rhode Island & Providence Plantations
United States of America

Post by F7BIGJOB »

OK= I'm in the RV industry and thats a common complaint in New England as the owners do not want to use their lp gas, they rely on 'free' campground electricity and right now temps will not allow heat pump to operate.
Must be nice to not go below 40^ at your house :lol:
It's coldwithsnow.gif here.
F7BIGJOB
-Steve

1965 F-250 4x4 Flareside

ImageImage
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

LOL Steve I grew up in Tampa , Fl. But I live in Louisville,Ky. The current temp here is 29 with a feels like of 21 and thats the warmest it has been here this week :D. I feel your pain.

Rick
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

rickairmedic wrote:LOL Steve I grew up in Tampa , Fl. But I live in Louisville,Ky. The current temp here is 29 with a feels like of 21 and thats the warmest it has been here this week :D. I feel your pain.

Rick
Rick, is that 29 F or C, if it`s F, I`m crossing KY off the visit in winter list!, ouch!
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
rwhistles
United States of America

Post by rwhistles »

Hey people it gets cold here to for a few hours anyway. got down to 24 2 or 3 times this last week.
1961 F350 pick up
1966 F350 camper
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

LOL its F and while the berry farmers were freaking out down there at the 24F temps it was in the single digits here with feels like temps in the - F area :D. I watch the weather channel regularly and always get a kick out of their corespondents standing out in the berry fields down there in Plant City playing with the ice encased berries :D.

Rick
Mctim64

Post by Mctim64 »

Sorry to see all the water damage, I have a '58 Alaskan that I use on my '58 F-100. It's a bit much for a 1/2 ton truck so I bought a '66 F-350 chassis and another '58 cab with hopes of making it my "RV". we'll see if I get going on it after the LSR Uni. :wink:
BigMike
United States of America

Post by BigMike »

I'm think flatbed, but it should be a fun project for you. Have you created a cost sheet and compared it to what a new camper would cost? While it wouldn't be original, a new camper on a '66 would be very cool.
1965 F250 352 4spd/Dana 4.10 (sold)
1991 Porsche 964 Cabriolet
2006 Cheby Silverado
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee - yeah, it's a HEMI