Steve's 64 Short-bed Project

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

SteveCanup
United States of America

Re: Steve's 64 Short-bed Project

Post by SteveCanup »

My wife's nightmare wrote:That is the first time I have ever seen a stud do that. Sorry it happened to you but thank you for sharing something else to look for when having brake issues.

An update on the pre-show cruise in West Jefferson: They are NOT doing one this month. There will be one in October. I am still planning to go to the show downtown Saturday the 26th and will be looking for a little white 64!!
Still planning on going...so is my dad in his '66 Galaxie 500. This cooler fall weather makes it something to look forward to...
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

oldsmiley wrote: Next week is full attending the Super National in Sevierville, and the week after recovering from it, then
it MY TIME. Gonna start working on my 64 to get it back on the road, so I can go places :(
Determination! And...we hope to see some pics of your progress on here! lol...
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Cruise-in in West Jefferson, NC tomorrow...looks like the weather is going to cooperate! Looking forward to being there!
1964 F-100
JeffinMooresville
United States of America

Post by JeffinMooresville »

Hi Steve, was great to meet you and your wife yesterday. We will have to figure our a common spot for next month and get there earlier.

Truck is looking great.

Jeff in Mooresville
63 Flareside and 65 Styleside projects underway
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

JeffinMooresville wrote:Hi Steve, was great to meet you and your wife yesterday. We will have to figure our a common spot for next month and get there earlier.

Truck is looking great.

Thanks Jeff! Same here, good to meet you and your wife...we need to do this again. The next time that we are in Salisbury visiting our daughter and son-in-law, I want to drive over to Doug's garage...and get by and see the "black truck" that you are building.
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

I am gathering parts and information for my next "big" project on the '64. I am purchasing a T5 transmission to replace the 3 speed. I have a pictorial article that explains the process of installing a T5 behind the 292. I am hoping that I can pull this off without breaking the bank. Here's a link to the article if anyone is interested. http://badgerlandf100s.com/techcorner/p ... oto_1.html I installed a new clutch and rear main oil seal about 3 years ago...or so. I didn't pull the bellhousing off to inspect the cam plug on the rear of the engine. I have noticed in the last year or so that the rear of my engine is again covered in oil and grease...so I have leakage somewhere. I love my 292, but they are notorious for being leakers. I might get a "wild hair" and pull the engine out and, at the least, install new gaskets and seals. I will try to take pics as I go... wish me luck, lol.

Stay tuned....
1964 F-100
04sd
United States of America

Post by 04sd »

Maybe it's time to sell the 292 and go for a 302? I'd be all in for keeping the 292 if the truck was stock or mostly stock but those days are long gone. A 302 and 5 speed would be right at home in your truck.
Bill
1966 F100 Camper Special, now a short bed 4x4.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1644 ... build.html
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

04sd wrote:Maybe it's time to sell the 292 and go for a 302? I'd be all in for keeping the 292 if the truck was stock or mostly stock but those days are long gone. A 302 and 5 speed would be right at home in your truck.
A 302 would be great! But $$$ will not allow it right now....I don't want to replace a used engine with.....a used engine, lol. I actually went onto Facebook Marketplace last night and looked at Coyote engines for sale. I would have to sell a kidney....lol.....The 302 will happen at some point in the future, if the world doesn't end.
1964 F-100
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Post by My wife's nightmare »

I agree with the sticker shock on Coyotes. Then you have to buy a harness to run the thing which ain't cheap either. But long term goal for my 63 is a Coyote swap, those things are so impressive. You'll really enjoy the T5 swap, just be prepared for a little sticker shock there as well. You can still but new ones and the used ones are sometimes well used! Just shop carefully. They're easy to rebuild but it can get pricey. Sounds like you have your winter plans already made!! Looking forward to watching the upgrades.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Doug, is there anything specific that I should look for when shopping for a T5? I have found one in WV which is about 2 1/2 hour drive away that fits what I am wanting. It's from a '95 S10. The guy said that he had it stored in his garage for about 6 years and it was shifting great when he removed it from the truck. He has sent me several pics of the tranny and is asking $150 for it.
1964 F-100
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Post by My wife's nightmare »

If the case is in one piece, you'd be hard-pressed to go wrong with a T5 for $150. You don't find them around here for that. Since it was in an S-10 it probably wasn't roughhoused too much and even if it was, input and output bearings and maybe 1st & 2nd synchronizer will provide a very good transmission. They were not the strongest transmissions made but they're also quite rugged. You won't be able to detect a worn bearing just spinning it by hand but you can tell if it's really bad if there's a lot of play just like any bearing. Put it in each gear and give it a spin and that's about it for a "field verification". Also remember they use ATF for oil so I'd drain the fluid when I got it home and see what it looks like. There's going to be some metallic sediment but you'll know if its terminal. If he'll let you do it before you buy it, take your drain pan and check it there. T5's just aren't built to handle ALOT of torque, and that's why they kinda get a bad rap, plus there are always a slammed shift to third every now and then that sometimes end badly. I would just use your best judgement as its always a toss up whether the seller is straight up and if he really knows about what he's selling. Other than the 2 1/2 hour drive, seems like a good one to go look at. Hopefully its a good deal for you.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

After an hour and half drive this morning...and getting lost via GPS, I acquired a '96 S10 T5. Now for the fun to start...info and pics to follow.

Stay tuned....
1964 F-100
JeffinMooresville
United States of America

Post by JeffinMooresville »

Hi Steve, be watching your T5 experience. Blue truck has c6, but i really want to put 5 speed in black truck. BTW, i have a 302 that the feller i bought black truck from gave me. Its apart, but does not look too bad. Has never been bored.

When you make that road trip, you can take a look if interested. I am sure we can work something out.
Jeff in Mooresville
63 Flareside and 65 Styleside projects underway
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

It might be time for a road trip, lol. I might be interested in the 302 for future use in my '64. My younger brother built one (302) for a '71 Bronco about 20 years ago. They are good engines. Right now my eyes are bleeding from trying to read up on T5 tranny's and what all I will need to install this to my 292, lol.
On another note, the T5 was actually a '93 GM World Class (by the tag info.) It has the larger 1 1/8" input shaft with 26 splines. I have an 11" clutch disc on order to fit my original Ford pressure plate. I'm still trying to figure out what I will need to do for the pilot bearing (bushing?). Any input will be appreciated....just remember that I am a poor preacher trying to do this on a budget. Here's pics of the tranny:

I removed the bellhousing
Hopefully, tomorrow I plan to drop my original Ford 3 speed out of the truck and compare the two transmissions. I know that there will be some modification that will need to be done to the Ford bellhousing and to the T5 transmission.

Stay tuned...
1964 F-100
04sd
United States of America

Post by 04sd »

Not sure what size pilot bushing is in a 292 but in the past I've used custom bushings and have also had trans input shafts turned down to match the bushing in an engine. In either case it shouldn't be a major expense if you can find someone with a lathe or a small machine shop.
Bill
1966 F100 Camper Special, now a short bed 4x4.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1644 ... build.html
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

04sd wrote:Not sure what size pilot bushing is in a 292 but in the past I've used custom bushings and have also had trans input shafts turned down to match the bushing in an engine. In either case it shouldn't be a major expense if you can find someone with a lathe or a small machine shop.
Bill...I was anticipating having to have a bushing made for the throwout bearing and the pilot bearing. I am going to take the throwout bearing retainer and the throwout bearing to a local machine shop to see if they can make me a bushing for that....I will have to do some homework for the pilot bearing/bushing. I was able to drop the 3 speed out this evening and sit the two side by side (no pics yet) and take some measurements. I am hoping to get the bellhousing out tomorrow and start making modifications to it. It's like eating an elephant...one bite at a time, lol.

Stay tuned....(I will take pics...I promise....) :lol: :lol: :lol:
1964 F-100
ratrapp

Post by ratrapp »

would using a ford t-5 make it any easier?
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

ratrapp wrote:would using a ford t-5 make it any easier?
It might...probably would...but this T5 cost me $100 so far. The Ford T5's, because they came out of Mustangs, automatically and magically make them more expensive. Even used....most were going for $500++. After all is said and done I will most likely have between $200 and 250 in this. And I have the world class heavier tranny by the code numbers. So, yes, it's worth the little bit of extra to me to do it this way. To each his own...if you have $$$$ to spend on what is essentially the same transmission...go for it!
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

NOW that we got that out of the way....DAY 2 of the change-over..(warning, this will be 'pic heavy').
Here's the two tranny's side by side
Bellhousing removed from the 292...keep in mind that this bellhousing is different than most
I have to grind the throwout bearing housing just a "smidge" to make it insert into the bellhousing properly
OH what a beautiful fit!
The bottom 2 mounting studs on the bellhousing line up perfectly with the new T5. I will have to drill and tap for the 2 upper bolts.
I will remove the pressure plate and clutch disc, I have a new clutch disc arriving this week ($25 that is splined for the T5 output shaft.
I also need to install a new pilot bearing, get a bearing sleeve for the throw-out bearing and I can install everything. The last piece of the puzzle will be the driveshaft. Then it will be ready for the road...or highway.

Stay tuned
1964 F-100
ratrapp

Post by ratrapp »

is the shifter going to sit forward too much with the s 10 tranny?