opinions

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

iontkendall

opinions

Post by iontkendall »

I have a 66 1/2 ton 4x4 short bed. It has an fe engine with a c-6 trans. with a np 205 transfer case (married to the trans.) and a d-60 rear/d-44 front. What I am thinking about doing is putting in a np 435 manual trans. and np205 transfer case. I believe it would be an easy swap, but I am not sure if it is worth doing. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thank you
Ion Kendall
Comet

Post by Comet »

Depends on what you want I guess. Both are good set ups and pretty much bullet proof. I'm going in the opposite direction on my '71. Personally I think your current set up sounds pretty sweet, but if you need deep gears to pull stumps, then the NP 435 will get you there.
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

There are guys, like Comet and Iceman on this board who have much more experience than I with 4x4's. So the weight of what they say is much more than my :2cents:

However if it were me, I would stick with the C6. They have very good reputation as a transmission, and with the limited 4x4-ing I have done over the years, generally an automatic is a good thing, unless you need that bull-low to climb the face of a cow 8)
With a C6 you don't need to let go of the wheel to shift, while you are trying to steer to miss that stump or rock. You also don't stand the chance of missing a shift in the middle of that mud-hole.

So if it were me, I'd stick with what you had, and be looking for a power steering and disc brake setup for the front end.. I believe you can swap out the Dana 44 for a newer model that has those things, but am not sure of the specific truck you should look for to get that swap material. I know they have coil springs and radius rods, just like my '79 4x4 shorty had.

A 66 shorty 4x4 BTW is the nicest of all the slick 4x's IMO, a snappy looking truck, and the box even matches :thumright:
Should end up with a nice rig in the end. :D
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

if you have a 66 f 100 4x4 then you should have the single speed transfer case, has only 2 and 4 wd .are you wanting to swap to a 2 speed case with 4 low or just get rid of the auto trans?
my wifes 66 f100 4x4 has the np435 and single speed case along with a built fe.other than having no 4 low theres nothing wrong with it in that regard.
if an opinion is what you want, here is mine:
any time i can get rid of an auto trans for a 4 speed i will beause neither me or the wife cares for them.

you should be able to swap the c6 for a manual from the same type truck without any great headache as long as the trans is from an f100 with the same transfer case.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
bertha66

Re: opinions

Post by bertha66 »

iontkendall wrote:I have a 66 1/2 ton 4x4 short bed. It has an fe engine with a c-6 trans. with a np 205 transfer case (married to the trans.) and a d-60 rear/d-44 front. What I am thinking about doing is putting in a np 435 manual trans. and np205 transfer case. I believe it would be an easy swap, but I am not sure if it is worth doing. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thank you
Ion Kendall

What year trans/transfer case do you have in your truck? Myself, I'd would like to put in a auto trans in my 66 F-100 4x4, I'm disabled and it would be eazier to drive.

Allen D
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Johnny Canuck wrote:
A 66 shorty 4x4 BTW is the nicest of all the slick 4x's IMO, a snappy looking truck, and the box even matches :thumright:
Should end up with a nice rig in the end. :D

I agree!
Regardless of what you end up doing, We need some pics of that truck! :D

:lol:
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
iontkendall

Post by iontkendall »

Thanks for all your posts. It is always good to seek wise counsel. I believe I will stick with the c-6. My truck does have power steering and I have a disc brake front axle for it. I, unfortunately, have to replace the cab on my truck since my now ex-wife rolled it. I do have a question though. On my truck (when I was removing the doors) I noticed that the hinges had roll pins at the top and bottom sections of the hinges (right by the bolts that bolt it to the cab). Is this typical on 4x4,s? I have had several 4x2,s and have never come across this. Thanks again for all of your posts and support, you have inspired me to get this project off the back burner and complete this truck.

Ion Kendall
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

iontkendall wrote:I do have a question though. On my truck (when I was removing the doors) I noticed that the hinges had roll pins at the top and bottom sections of the hinges (right by the bolts that bolt it to the cab). Is this typical on 4x4,s? I have had several 4x2,s and have never come across this.

Hmph! That's a new one on me too. :hm:
Do the pins push through the hinge & into the vertical hinge post on the cab? If so, maybe someone did that in the past, to be able to get the hinges in the same spot when they took the doors off.
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
flareside64

Post by flareside64 »

Ive never seen roll pins used like that on these trucks from the factory. I agree with slick fan that someone probably put them there to line up the hinges after painting it at one time....pretty good idea to line em up..... I personally would never drill holes that ford never put in from the factory but since there already there might as well use em unless your going for a full out original show truck
Travis
1949 F-4 226/4 speed
1964 F100 223/3 speed
1965 F100 4x4 445/4 speed