Another Project setting in my Drive Tonite

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Kid
United States of America

Another Project setting in my Drive Tonite

Post by Kid »

Well I drug another Project Home Today. I got a 74 Plymouth Duster that has had all the metal work done on it, new floors and Quarters and the body is ready for small amounts of body work. I got Two Engines and transmissions for it and now all I need to do is decide what I am going to do with it. I am not sure if I want to work on it or stash it in storage. Best part of the deal is that it was a FREEBIE, all I had to do is move Two other cars for the guy with my Trailer and then load up the Duster and haul it home........Kid

65 F-100, close to stock and almost finished
64 F-100 on a Mercury car frame and has a 4in top chop
64 F-100 Short box, I-6 and 3 Spd
65 Barracuda, complete just needs restored
74 Duster now
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Wow, cool deal Darrell! Is one of the engines a 440? :dancing: I'm seeing a blower with a pair of skinnies on the front and a couple MT stickies on the rear and maybe Lime Green w green & blue/green flames or Plum Crazy w sorta stock type silver graphics! Just my off the cuff :2cents:.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
mikecarson

Post by mikecarson »

Those A-bodies can be lightened up real easy. Like Greg said, a 440 if you have one. That's what I put in my 70 Dart, but that one was just barely street legal.

I put a built 360 in a 75 duster, with a 727 tranny. It was a good all around driver.

Had a 74 "340" duster, 4 speed, but it had the 360 in it. That had the fold down rear seat option. Lime green and white. Of all the Dart/ Dusters I had, that was my favorite.

Had 3- 64 Darts, a 340 Demon for a short time, a couple of Valients, and of course, a 37 Plymouth P/U. Used to really be into MoPar.
Mike C
64 CC, Crown Vic project
62 CC
67short 94 F150, 433W
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive body, but to skid in sideways - body worn out and screaming: Woo Hoo, what a ride!"
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

Aaaaarrrgghh, Mopar guys should go Slant Six all the way!!!
Jim
mikecarson

Post by mikecarson »

I had a few of those, too!
Mike C
64 CC, Crown Vic project
62 CC
67short 94 F150, 433W
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive body, but to skid in sideways - body worn out and screaming: Woo Hoo, what a ride!"
66fordtrucknut

Post by 66fordtrucknut »

Cool deal Darrell! Show us some pics.
Charlie
62' SWB uni 223
66' F-100 Short/wide 352
78' F-350 dually dumpbed 400
12' F-150 5.0 3:73 LS
DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

When I was in school, one of my buddies had a Duster he inherited from his sister. 318 2bbl automatic with factory air that still worked! This car was incredibly quick; he used to win drag races with cars that you'd never thought he could beat. They'd never believe what he had under the hood until he showed them. :lol:
So don't disregard a small block. To put a big block in one I think you need a different (and very hard to find) subframe?
If you need any parts, let the MAC chapter know. There are quite a few of those in the 8000 car junkyard we visit. 8)
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning
mikecarson

Post by mikecarson »

I used a 6 cyl K frame for my 440. Built a set of ears to mount the motor out of 6063 aluminum, 3/8 thick. I've lost my templates, but they were similar to this:
Mike C
64 CC, Crown Vic project
62 CC
67short 94 F150, 433W
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Wonder how much work it would be to put a Viper V10 in a duster?
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i have not seen one of those in quite a while.hope it is a worthwile project.the dusters look pretty good when they are clean and done up right.a friend of mine had one many years ago we used to attract the police when riding around in for some reason. :dontknow:
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Buddy of mine had a 71 340 wedge Duster with dual point ignition, 4.10s and a 4 speed and that car was SCARY fast. We never lost a race in it when I was riding with him, the best one was the guy we smoked in the 455 Buick GS, he was P!SSED!! :rotflmao:

the other thing scary on that car was the brakes. I don't think I would go with skin-flick front tires on one of those cars, they barely slow down as is... :shock:

I believe there's a relatively easy swap-out on those older Dodges to Volare or maybe Caravelle disc brakes. I stumbled across that while looking for info on fixing my kid's Dodges, but didn't pay too much attention to it then.

Be the most worthwhile thing you could do if it still has drums.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
kid2

Post by kid2 »

The engines I got with it are a 318 and a 360, the trans are a 727 and a 904, i think. I was told the 318 with a set of 340 or 360 heads and a few other goodies will make it a sweet running car. We are going to pull the engine this weekend in Matts 64 Thunderbird and get it built so i am gonna stash the duster up at matts for a short time, I got a Chevy pickup I bought that needs head gaskets I am gonna change and resell it right away to finance some paint on the Duster, it is all sanded down to bare metal. It is still setting on the trailer in my drive so I will try to get a pic of it. I took my Wife with me when I went and looked at it and was suprised how well she took the news that it was mine, I firmly belive it is easier to ask for forgivness than to ask for permission, LOL. I know it isnt a Slick but always had a love for the old Mopars, my first car was a 66 Charger and someday I want another.............Kid
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Kid my buddy that has been working on his friend's '65 Tbird for 2 years is, ironically, a dyed in the wool Dodge guy.

He is shocked at how >>>CHEAP<<< FE parts are :shock: , so that gives you some idea what to expect when shelling out for a Dodge. Those insane Barrett-Jackson prices have run Dodge part prices thru the roof.

I dunno much about Dodge small blocks, but they dont swap like you would think. All kinds of Crank/head/block/pan/mount configurations do NOT interchange. Very confusing.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Comet

Post by Comet »

I think something like this would go nicely in it:

My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
Jarrod

Post by Jarrod »

Put one of those small block 440 motors from Mopar Perf. Same exterior dimentions as a 318/360 but a big stroker crank in it
Cheers,
Jarrod