What engines will fit easily with a straight axel...

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Gary Seymour
United States of America

351C

Post by Gary Seymour »

I have a '62 unibody sb, and also a 351C out of a '73 torino. Do you know what mounts were used on your truck? my truck is currently a 292 3 speed. Also what radiator was used? Thanks

six-two wrote:The six would be cool, the Y-Block would be cool, I love the 460, but if you want mileage and power, a modern injected 5 liter/302 is the sensible choice(I think). Of course if you are like me one of the main reasons you have a slick is because it is easy to work on. I know fuel injection mechanically speaking is no big deal, it just seems intimidating to me to work on modern motors. If you want something different, a 351 cleveland fits well, and is awesome, but the parts can be kind of pricey (but not all that expensive either, just not 350 chevy prices). I know because I have one in mine. It is mounted to a cruise-o-matic or FMX tranny, I'm just not sure which. I didn't do the switch, but the tranny crossmember on my truck is fabricated (you can probably buy one now) and it looks like it would be an easy swap. BTW, I have almost no mechanical knowledge, so my opinion might not be as well educated as others, just trying to help out.
:2cents:

____________________________________six-two :cheers:
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Gary, your easiest install would be to use an aftermarket crossmember with small block Ford towers and a tranny crossmember. I am unsure about the oilpan clearance with a straight axle though. There are "universal" SBF crossmembers out there that either weld or bolt in and maybe also some that are specific for the early frame. 351 Cs use small block Ford motor mounts and accept small block Ford trannys. I actually considered one myself for awhile with an AOD but can't get one together within my power train budget. I'm sure someone else will chime in with more info for you. Be sure you don't have an M series engine before you get the parts, they "look" (and kind of are) like a Cleveland but use 429/460 patterns for the tranny and towers.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

OK, this is TOOOOL COOOOL not to at least consider! http://www.fordtruk.com/forums/album_sh ... ser_id=292

1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

Cam L Milan,
rob66f100

Post by rob66f100 »

The EFI engine is a dog.

had one in a 89 LD f250 work truck had to unload it once to put a new box on it had a hard time not spining the tires i wouldnt call that a dog
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

greg what is that?
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

3.9 litre, OHC, crossflow head, multi port EFI, inline 6 cylinder from an Australian Ford with a Borg Warner auto tranny. The guy didn't know the factory rated horsepower or whether other (as in AOD?) trannys would fit, don't know what you would use for a puter for it either, still cool! Might be neat in the 93 LX ragtop too, HMMMM...........

1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

Cam L Milan,
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

kewl!
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Unibodyguy1

What engines will fit easily in a straight axle....

Post by Unibodyguy1 »

There are a couple of places that make a conversion for a Yblock to a AOD. I don't think they make a design for a truck type mounting system. The only thing you might be able to do then is find a truck auto trans. bellhousing with the ears, and redrill the bellhousing to made it work with the AOD. You would have to talk to the venders about that.

Hollywood Automotive
3360 Roger Place
St. Louis MO 63116 ph. 314-773-3333
email; hollywood@hollywoodautomotive.com
makes Yblock to AOD adapters

Bristol Services Company
711 West 17th St.
Suite F11
Costa Mesa CA 92627-4354
ph. 949-722-1122
also makes yblock to AOD adapters

theres another one out there too in Minnesoda but I don't have any info. on it currently.

Michael
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Thanks Michael, I sent him an email.

1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

Cam L Milan,