kstones63 project

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

I am making some more progress on the truck. I changed the headlights over to the clear tri-bar halogen with red dot centers in place of the sealed beams. I also changed out the yellow looking park light lens fro some that are more clear looking.

I am still working on the 4.6 DOHC engine to go in the truck. I built an adaptor to move the throttle body up to the top of the engine instead of tucked down in at the back of the manifold. It was going to be tough to make an air filter work with where it was located.
This should make it a lot easier. This is what I started with.
I made it to this shape.

Here is the throttle body relocated.
This should make it easier to put the air filter and MAF in line.

Kevin
kstones63
95 F350 Flatbed Dually Diesel
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Looks great Kevin!
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
64Ranger

Post by 64Ranger »

That looks so cool... you are amazing!
Doug
Riverside, CA
sully5

Post by sully5 »

Where did you get your bed cover and what brand? Is it model specific for our trucks or a one-off custom?
If thou bleedest not, thou workest not. - Hezekiah 2:12
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

sully5 wrote:Where did you get your bed cover and what brand? Is it model specific for our trucks or a one-off custom?

Gaylords Lids in California made it. They don't stock them. They are only made to order. If you decide to order one from them, talk to them about the upgraded hinges at the front. They didn't tell me about them until I had the cover installed and then saw the other style hinges at a show. I think that the upgraded hinges would be worth the difference in cost.

Kevin
kstones63
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

I am making some progress on the engine swap. I am getting really close to sending out to the engine rebuilder.
I found someone that makes a wiring harness to convert the coil packs over to coil on plug design. This will clean it up a lot more.

I had to get a different set of valve covers to accept the COP and then find a set of coils.

This makes it so much cleaner without any spark plug wires to try and hide.

I think that I have the wiring all shortened and lengthened where it needs to be. I have all the wires wrapped and will need to be secured once the engine comes back.
This is what I decided on for the the MAF and the air filter. This pic still has the original coil packs that have now been deleted.

Kevin
kstones63
BackyardRest

Post by BackyardRest »

kstones63 wrote:I am making some progress on the engine swap. I am getting really close to sending out to the engine rebuilder.
I found someone that makes a wiring harness to convert the coil packs over to coil on plug design. This will clean it up a lot more.

I had to get a different set of valve covers to accept the COP and then find a set of coils.

This makes it so much cleaner without any spark plug wires to try and hide.

I think that I have the wiring all shortened and lengthened where it needs to be. I have all the wires wrapped and will need to be secured once the engine comes back.
This is what I decided on for the the MAF and the air filter. This pic still has the original coil packs that have now been deleted.

Kevin

Kevin, DId you decide which rebuilder is doing the engine?
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

No, I haven't decided yet. The guy that you referred me to wanted almost $6,000 to rebuild this engine so I think that he is out. If I was wanting to build a strong performance engine, that would be a consideration, but I am just looking for a rebuild back to stock specs. I probably will never get 50,000 miles on this truck so I am not worried about factory specs. I am talking to the shop that rebuilt the engine that is in there now but I am considering doing an engine swap with mine as a core but that is scary.

Kevin
kstones63
BackyardRest

Post by BackyardRest »

kstones63 wrote:No, I haven't decided yet. The guy that you referred me to wanted almost $6,000 to rebuild this engine so I think that he is out. If I was wanting to build a strong performance engine, that would be a consideration, but I am just looking for a rebuild back to stock specs. I probably will never get 50,000 miles on this truck so I am not worried about factory specs. I am talking to the shop that rebuilt the engine that is in there now but I am considering doing an engine swap with mine as a core but that is scary.

Kevin

That is a LOT of $$. You can buy the new Coyote 5.0 for 6995.00
Those engines should be pretty easy to find cheap and ready to go.

Did you ask Brian about a "stock" rebuild?
BackyardRest

Post by BackyardRest »

kstones63 wrote:No, I haven't decided yet. The guy that you referred me to wanted almost $6,000 to rebuild this engine so I think that he is out. If I was wanting to build a strong performance engine, that would be a consideration, but I am just looking for a rebuild back to stock specs. I probably will never get 50,000 miles on this truck so I am not worried about factory specs. I am talking to the shop that rebuilt the engine that is in there now but I am considering doing an engine swap with mine as a core but that is scary.

Kevin

there are a few Lincoln Aviator DOHC's in town for under 2k. Think they were 300hp stock.

GT500 BLower motor or a bunch of other DOHC's avail cheap. Found 2 GT500 engines local. If you want a stock rebuild of your engine that can be done very reasonable too. Have a friend in town that owns a engine reman facility.

Also found a brand new Raptor with 1000 miles on it and 3500.00 asking for engine. A lot of options for a Ford Modular in town.
BackyardRest

Post by BackyardRest »

I have seriously thought of dropping a 3.5L Eco-Boost in one of my trucks.
Found 3 of them for 5k each and all under 200 miles.
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

BackyardResto wrote:A lot of options for a Ford Modular in town.

What town would that be? Or at least part of the country?
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

I am into this engine for absolutely nothing at this point. I parted out the Mark VIII and even made some money on it, so at this point the price of a rebuild doesn't scare me. I am planning on just having this one rebuilt to stock specs so that it will never have to come out of the truck again. It has 280 HP from the factory but I am guessing that with a free flowing air intake, no cats, dual exhaust and adding a chip to the EEC, it will be around the 320 HP area.????
The shop that did my other engine quoted me around $2200.
I have so much time in making the wiring harness, I don't even want to think about changing to a different engine that I would need to start over with.
Who is the engine reman that you know? I would like to talk to them.

Grits, That is the Phoenix area. He now lives back in AZ.

Kevin
kstones63
Bill W

Post by Bill W »

Gritsngumbo wrote:
BackyardResto wrote:A lot of options for a Ford Modular in town.

What town would that be? Or at least part of the country?

Phoenix area Grits :)
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

Thanks guys. Just wondering where all those good bargains are. Don't find deals like those in our part of the country.

bluebolt

Engine

Post by bluebolt »

Gritsngumbo wrote:Thanks guys. Just wondering where all those good bargains are. Don't find deals like those in our part of the country.

They are around here Grits just need to have cash on hand when they come up. Aviator engines in area are about 2 grand and there's a new f150 5.0 for 3 grand in Eunice LA.
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Re: Engine

Post by Gritsngumbo »

bluebolt wrote:
Gritsngumbo wrote:Thanks guys. Just wondering where all those good bargains are. Don't find deals like those in our part of the country.

They are around here Grits just need to have cash on hand when they come up. Aviator engines in area are about 2 grand and there's a new f150 5.0 for 3 grand in Eunice LA.

So that's the catch :-)

kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

Well it appears that I am getting serious about getting this engine swap done. I got a rebuilt engine and used mine as a core. The specs came that it is still a standard bore and standard crank. I think that is a good thing. I put a rebuilt p/s pump on it, new idler pulleys and will install a new a/c compressor.
I painted the intake and got it installed.
I couldn't find any headers less than $750 to fit so I decided on stock exhaust manifolds from a Mustang Mach 1. They won't hardly be seen and they were cheap by comparison.
I had the transmission rebuilt and have it attached to the engine ready to go in.
I hope that by doing all the rebuilt parts that I won't have to ever pull the trans or engine again.

Kevin
kstones63
64Ranger

Post by 64Ranger »

Looks really good Kevin... should be a very reliable truck.
Keep up the good work!!
Doug
Riverside, CA
HiBoy63
Ireland

Post by HiBoy63 »

Installing engine and trans is the way to go. Ive alway done them separatley. Ive been worried about the weight of trans and big block together but it went well. Next time I will double chain like what you have done. Looking good.
1963 F250 4x4x292
1965 F100 4x4x352
1998 F150 4x4x4.6
2001 Sport Track 4x4x4.0

In case you are wondering thats Ireland......Freedom is not Free!!!!!!!!

Heritage country Flag