First post - wind noise coming thru dash ??

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ClanCassidy

First post - wind noise coming thru dash ??

Post by ClanCassidy »

Hi all,

I just purchased my first 65 F100 a few weeks ago and stumbled across your site. I've been finding it very informative and enjoy the friendly "feel".

I have a tremendous wind noise that seems to be coming from somewhere in the front dash area. It seems to kick in around 25 MPH and get louder as I get faster. I've checked all the firewall pass-through points (wire harness, heater hoses, speedo cable, steering column, etc) and don't see anything that looks like the problem. The cowl area is rust free (no holes or open seams that I can see).

Maybe the defroster grills or heating duct work ?

Any ideas on areas I can check ? What I really need to do is have my wife drive while I crawl around trying to get a better feel for where the noise is coming from.

Thanks for any suggestions.

John.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

there are a couple acess panel covers you may want to check, one is in the center of the cowl below hood, then one on each side behind front fenders, theres a foam seal where the fender meets cab, air could get by there, also inside on kickpanels is fender bolt access hole.some have covers, some do not.air will come thru if no cover.
also you may want to check windshield and other chrome if you have it as a loose piece may whistle if air gets behind.

also read in the trivia post about the magic aire heaters and the plenum, anything in there will cause blockage and possible noise.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

:oops:
wheres my manners
:welcome: John, glad to have you.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

Hey good to have you!

Welcome!

I would check the places ICE said. They are the common spots.

Also, how are your cab mounts? On my 73 the drivers side was bad/gone :shock: and it made a LOT of noise!
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
ClanCassidy

Post by ClanCassidy »

Thanks for the ideas.

I'm still learning the jargon for trucks - are the cab mounts where the rubber pucks are that mount the cab to the frame i.e. body mounts ? I'm lucky that this truck is from down south so no rust holes (that I've found so far anyways :wink:

I'll check the areas suggested.

JC
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

ClanCassidy wrote:are the cab mounts where the rubber pucks are that mount the cab to the frame i.e. body mounts ?

Yes.
Being a rust free truck, I'd double check your wing window areas...if the weatherstripping is dried enough, it won't seal air out very well anymore & could sound like it's coming from further forward.

Welcome aboard! :D
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
flareside64

Post by flareside64 »

Hi John! Welcome to the club!

I see your In Brighton Michigan. I live over in Sterling Heights but my girlfriend lives in Howell.. Im there at least once a week, especially on the weekends. In fact, I just got back from there a few minutes ago. We drive into Brighton a lot to go to cracker barrell. Maybe we can get together sometime and do a cruise night in the spring or something. Have a good one!
Travis
1949 F-4 226/4 speed
1964 F100 223/3 speed
1965 F100 4x4 445/4 speed
ClanCassidy

Post by ClanCassidy »

Guys,

Thanks for all the ideas.

Travis,

Sounds good. Bakers in Milford has a nice cruise night every week during the summer. Let me know the next time your in the area.

John.
ClanCassidy

Post by ClanCassidy »

Guys,

Thanks for all the ideas.

Travis,

Sounds good. Bakers in Milford has a nice cruise night every week during the summer. Let me know the next time your in the area.

John.