About lowering a slick.

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

why do people say you can't use springs? a little negitive camber wont hurt anything as long as the toe in is set correctly. btw-welcome to the site and have fun with your new truck.
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
chiquita

Post by chiquita »

ezernut9mm wrote:why do people say you can't use springs? a little negitive camber wont hurt anything as long as the toe in is set correctly. btw-welcome to the site and have fun with your new truck.
:lol:

Thanks. Cant wait until my dubble 3-inch pipes on both sides gives the sound of the 390.

And about the springs. I leave that question over to the people here who has got the experience.

//Jan
Real men dont eat suschi.
-66 F250 Twin I-Beam 390/ 3 on a tree.
But miss my -63 Country Sedan.
dirtbike
Australia

Post by dirtbike »

I have cut down my front springs for a little bit of a drop. It did not do much to the driving but has thrown the camber out a little. I do not use my truck as a dialy driver so I dont mind at all.

With a 2 - 3 inch drop from new beams what about ground clearance under the cross member where the engine sits? Mine is pretty low already there and was wondering what it would be like with drop beams.

I wanna slam my truck, low low, but guess I will have to make a plan and get new FS from another vehicle...
-= FORD F100 1965 =-
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

To much camber induces extreme king pin wear.

Seeing that thats what holds the spindle on it makes a saftey issue.

Garbz
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Garbz wrote:To much camber induces extreme king pin wear.

Garbz

what he said, plus they wear tires out quick and just look ridiculous too. :roll:

Ford trucks should NOT look like ricers. I am sure there's a law somewhere. :wink:
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Johnny Canuck wrote:
Ford trucks should NOT look like ricers. I am sure there's a law somewhere. :wink:

Agreed! :cheers:
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
rog300b

Post by rog300b »

Nice truck you got there Jan!
Roger

Driver: 1957 F-100, 292, fordomatic.
Project: 1962 F-250, 223, 4wd.

Two Ford trucks north of the artic circle.
chiquita

Post by chiquita »

Thanks Roger.

Nearly just bought it :)

//Jan
chiquita

Post by chiquita »

Slick Fan wrote:
Johnny Canuck wrote:

Agreed! :cheers:
Maybe just lowering one side for alls satisfaktion.. lol 8)
rog300b

Post by rog300b »

Where in Sweden are you living?
Roger

Shawn F.

Post by Shawn F. »

To get the truck very low you need a aftermarket IFS like a MII, Volare, or even a Dodge Dakota cross member kit. The 3 inch dropped beams from what I have seen (I haven't installed mine yet) do not lower the truck 3 inches. Looks more like one inch really or sometimes 2 but that's about it. IMO I can't tell much of a difference with the 3 inch drops, I'd rather do at least 5 inches. But that is just me, everyone has their own way of doing things and own tastes. To do the new IFS crossmember kits it will get pretty pricey because just like anything else, one thing always leads to another. First is welding it up, then you get it in there and find out you need a correct length rack and pinion, then modify steering column, spindles, control arms, brakes, brake lines, motor mounts, etc etc. It adds up by the time your done with it all but looks great. That is why I am going to do the dropped beams for now and save up to get an IFS.
chiquita

Post by chiquita »

rog300b wrote:Where in Sweden are you living?

I´m living in the south. Helsingborg . Skåne.

//Jan
chiquita

Post by chiquita »

Shawn F. wrote:To get the truck very low you need a aftermarket IFS like a MII, Volare, or even a Dodge Dakota cross member kit. The 3 inch dropped beams from what I have seen (I haven't installed mine yet) do not lower the truck 3 inches. Looks more like one inch really or sometimes 2 but that's about it. IMO I can't tell much of a difference with the 3 inch drops, I'd rather do at least 5 inches. But that is just me, everyone has their own way of doing things and own tastes. To do the new IFS crossmember kits it will get pretty pricey because just like anything else, one thing always leads to another. First is welding it up, then you get it in there and find out you need a correct length rack and pinion, then modify steering column, spindles, control arms, brakes, brake lines, motor mounts, etc etc. It adds up by the time your done with it all but looks great. That is why I am going to do the dropped beams for now and save up to get an IFS.

2 words I don´t know the meaning of. IFS and cross member kit . sorry :? Think I do but not sure.
chiquita

Post by chiquita »

Johnny Canuck wrote:
Garbz wrote:To much camber induces extreme king pin wear.

Garbz

what he said, plus they wear tires out quick and just look ridiculous too. :roll:

Is it possible to cut the springs a little if I make a cut in the the beam and correct the caster? Or is there something else in the way? Maybe it dont get strong enough but the best "licencewelder" around is my best friend.
66fordtrucknut

Post by 66fordtrucknut »

Jan- IFS- Independent front suspension
Cross member kit - There are kits avail. to use Dodge dakota front ends on our trucks. I believe Gabz works for one of those places.
Charlie
62' SWB uni 223
66' F-100 Short/wide 352
78' F-350 dually dumpbed 400
12' F-150 5.0 3:73 LS
chiquita

Post by chiquita »

Okidock. Now I get it.
rog300b

Post by rog300b »

I´m living in the south. Helsingborg . Skåne.

Nice to have another scandinavian on this board! This is the best place to be if you are into Slicks! 8)
Roger

chiquita

Post by chiquita »

I agree. I seems as all thats important is somewhere here. Just to look a little. And a lot of people who has the experience of Slicks.
six-two

Post by six-two »

I'm just jealous of you guys, I heard Norway and Sweden are where all the junkyard parts are at.
:P Welcome!

_____________________________________six-two
Moose
United States of America

Post by Moose »

I have the dropped i beams on my 65. It has 4 inches of ground clearance at the bottom of the spindle. My truck rides like a cadillac, and looks fast sitting still. The rear was dropped by moving the front spring mounts higher on the frame. (high enough to be able to put a bolt through the original rivet hole in the bracket!) and the rear shackles were lengthened about 3 inches.

you can also check it out in my gallery here

Moose
American born, German blood, Texan attitude..... And people wonder why they call me "Moose."

66 F-100 Too much to list
05 F250 The Tank