Am I overcharging?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

qwertyd10n
Canada

Am I overcharging?

Post by qwertyd10n »

Hey guys,

Got my new voltmeter in this weekend and noticed it seemed to be reading a little high. So, I pulled out my handheld voltmeter and checked the voltage at the battery. When the truck is off, the voltage read about 12.9. When the truck is running at a warm idle, it read between 15 and 15.25.

Do I need a new voltage regulator?

Cheers,
Dion
64fordf100292v8

Post by 64fordf100292v8 »

That sounds a little high. Ive had lots of alternators charge that high on a real cold morning start but they would only do it for 30-45 seconds then taper off to around 14.5. Are you running a alternator or a generator?
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

You need to keep an eye on the battery water and make sure you're not boiling it dry. If you're not having a problem there, you're good to go. Most alternators put out in the 14.5+ volt range so you're pretty close.
Just watch the water level
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
qwertyd10n
Canada

Post by qwertyd10n »

64fordf100292v8 wrote:That sounds a little high. Ive had lots of alternators charge that high on a real cold morning start but they would only do it for 30-45 seconds then taper off to around 14.5. Are you running a alternator or a generator?

I'm not entirely sure... I'm guessing an alternator, but how do I know for sure?
Tech

Post by Tech »

What type battery do you have?
If it is a deep cycle, big truck battery or heavy for its size then yes you are probably boiling it.
If it is an Interstate of seems light for its size it will have a stronger acid strength and be able to utilize the higher voltage without a problem.
Are the terminals perpetually corroded? This might indicate outgassing/boiling. The battery may also get hot after a long run.
If you don't have any of the above symptoms then you just have brighter headlights!
What does the voltage go up to if you rev up the engine?
Small cars and motorcycles run higher voltages but old trucks?? It is probably just shortening your battery life a few years.
Tech
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

you have an alternator. last year for generators was 64.

i dont think 15.25 is too high, 16v or more would definitely be an issue.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton