need a frame for a 66

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

HOOK&GO

need a frame for a 66

Post by HOOK&GO »

Hey I inherited a rust free 66 longbed 352 4 speed truck from my dad. The bad thing is is that he had lost it in the rain a few years back and never got around to fixing it. I need a front clip and most likley a frame. What years can I look at for this swap? I would not mind if I had to got to a straight axle 64 and below if I had to.

Roger Carter
United States of America

Post by Roger Carter »

OUCH!!! Hope dad was OK after the accident.
Welcome from the Portland. Oregon area, by the way. welcome.gif

Can't speak as to the fit-up on a '64 and older. The '65-'79 frames will fit under the cab and nose with minimal effort. The bed may need to be shifted for cab clearance and wheel well opening depending on what year frame you use, due to wheel base differences.
Good luck.

Roger Carter
banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

Welcome from South Carolina!
Where are you located?
You do not want to use a '64 or earlier frame! You will have significant fitment issues, and you will not be able to use the easy factory upgrades later for power brakes and power steering.
slickmainer
United States of America

Post by slickmainer »

here is a whole frame ready to go in Wisconsin. 66 f100

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/1402894571.html
--Gregg--
you can't get there from here
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

I may have a lwb 63 4x4 frame in the near future, not a direct bolt up but................
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Welcome from West Virginia.... Just where did you say you were from?? I would go with the mid '70's frame so as to have power steering, power brakes, and a front disc set up. I am using a '76 myself.

Anthony
Lowell
United States of America

Post by Lowell »

I see it has a Missouri tag . Ive got a 65 shortbed in southern ind. Still has a 240 and cab still mounted.Dont have any good fenders or hood, just inner fenders and a 66 grille in fair condition.
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

65 to 72 would be a direct bolt on. is that a long or short truck? someone had a good link to a nice ready to go short 66 frame a while back.

where in mo. are you?
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

I have a frame over here in eastern Illinois. If interested call me 618-384-7037.

Rich
FORDBOYpete

Post by FORDBOYpete »

I agree with Anthony about a later chassis. An earlier chassis from a straight axle as a retro fit would be a lot more work to wind up with a lot older technology and problems making the alterations to get a 65 & later cab to bolt up you must relocate outrigger mount brackets. And the steering is a "Monkey Goat Rope" to work out "after the fact".

My 66 SWB is on a 79 F-150 SWB Trailer Special chassis. It's really a improvement in my case because it's equipped with 14" x 1.25" rotors & double piston calipers, like an F-250 has but keeps 5 on 5.5" wheel lug pattern of F-100 & F-150 family trucks. I assert use of a later 73-79 style chassis is worth all the work to git 'er Dun because of all the great radical improvements in steering, stopping & handling & with rearaxle being same width as the front wheels, not -2 inches like 61 thru 72 are. Also the 73-9's often came with the more desirable 31 spline axles in their rear 9" differentials and WAY BIGGER rear brakes too.

There is a slight difference in Wheel Base lengths. I'm not certain what a WB is of 73-9 LWB is compared to that of a 65-72 LWB. I know from doing mine there is +2" in SWB's. The difference appears in CA area, or Cab to Axle Dimension. Everything else remains the same dimensionally speaking. Also Fuel tanks are in rear between frame rails by the spare tire where they belong, and you get free space behind your seat for your tunes, or guns or lunch or luggage or what-ever . . . . See why I went for 73-9, upgrade swap?
A little "fudging" and a new set of holes and the bed will bolt down fine.

FBp :steering:
Change is the Only Constant
MattsIASlickShop

Post by MattsIASlickShop »

I have a '66 shortbed frame in Iowa.
bluebolt

Chassis

Post by bluebolt »

[quote="FORDBOYpete"]
My 66 SWB is on a 79 F-150 SWB Trailer Special chassis. It's really a improvement in my case because it's equipped with 14" x 1.25" rotors & double piston calipers, like an F-250 has but keeps 5 on 5.5" wheel lug pattern of F-100 & F-150 family trucks.
Never heard of this combo. Are you sure you don't mean 12.5" rotors? A 14" rotor would require 17" or 18" wheels. F250's have 12" rotors. What size tire/wheel do you run?

There is a slight difference in Wheel Base lengths. I'm not certain what a WB is of 73-9 LWB is compared to that of a 65-72 LWB. I know from doing mine there is +2" in SWB's.
The 73-79 longbed is 133", 4" longer than a 65-66 longbed. 67-72 longbeds are 131" A bit harder to make up that difference.
semotrucker

Post by semotrucker »

Ouch...I agree...where in Mo are you? I live between Cape and Sikeston.

Cam
jwh f-100
United States of America

Post by jwh f-100 »

Send this guy a PM.. He may still have it

http://fordtruk.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... ight=frame
Jason

Beer will change the world.

I don't know how but it will.
HOOK&GO

Post by HOOK&GO »

I live in independence Mo right near Kansas city. My dad broke a couple of ribs and split his lip open on this wreck. If I go with the 65 and up to 72 I can upgrade the brakes to a 73+ disc brake? It has manual drum all around now. Thanks guys for the responses.
HOOK&GO

Post by HOOK&GO »

The reason I got this truck is because my dad got diagnosed with cancer and he wants to pass it on to me, we are going to start working on it this weeknd for dissassembly. My dads side of the family has always had thses trucks, my dad has had two different 66 f100s since I was seven and his dad had a 65 that he had bought new.

I have a 66 mustang I will get rid of to get this truck going, I think I will keep the 351W and look for an AOD to put behind it. I want to keep this truck drivable and usable as a truck lke hauling around my dirt bike or whatever.

I am really glad I found this site and really kick myself for missing slickstock last year when i was right in my backyard!
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

yes, if you go with a 65-72 frame you can use the i beams and discs from a 73-79 truck. i have 73 beams and discs on my 66.
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
HOOK&GO

Post by HOOK&GO »

Excellent I will start scrounging for some once I get my mustang out of the way.
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

BTW, those hubcaps on the chrome steelies look real cool.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

G`day and Welcome from the extremely far southwest chapter!, may I ask, what the hell did he hit?. Looks like it was a nice truck at the time :)
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif