A New Slick60's Fan

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

EmSee

A New Slick60's Fan

Post by EmSee »

A few months ago I sold off my beloved '65 Fastback. After a twenty year love affair with her I knew just everything about early Mustangs. Now I'm starting over...

Last month I bought a '62 Unibody (SB) which I found buried to it's axles and filled with debris on a urban-getto ranch. The fella, who is retiring and moving to to west Texas to be a real cowboy, decided to throw in two '66 F-100s (one LB, one SB) because we hit it off so well. I ended up receiving two more '66s (both stepsides) from two of his friends for next to nothing. Now I have five trucks that I know nothing about and so be prepared, I'll probably be picking your brains out about ideas.

My goal is to fix up the Unibody as a modified "cool street ride" and I'll eventually sell off the others. All 5 are in need of metal replacement and probably not worth much to anyone outside of a slick60's circle.

I'm wishing to find a resourceful aftermarket supplier for cabs, hoods and glass. I'm planning to place the Unibody on a shortened '75 F-350 frame (with a 460 BB) and use a Versailles rearend along with the rack-and-pinion steering set-up underneath. Also I'm considering changing out the Unibody's small back window for the big back window. Does anyone know of a aftermarket fabricator (like Goodmark Industries) who already makes one for a '61 to '66 F-100?

I'm truly encouraged when I read the comments and suggestions many of you have offered to others. Your knowledge and expirences will be greatly appreciated and accepted.
~~EmSee~~
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

Welcome.
5 or 6 at a time is a nice haul.
sounds like the Tx. chapter just gained a bunch more trucks.
I'm sure they will find you soon. :peepwall:

surprised there were that many loose slicks about.
Max, Skip, you all been neglecting your slick-searching these days? :rotflmao:
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
66fordtrucknut

Post by 66fordtrucknut »

Welcome Emsee! The BBW glass is hard to find, nobody makes aftermarket ones, same as hoods and cabs, in the links section should be some suppliers, Dennis carpenter, carolina classics and lmc. I use (Tommy)Flashback 100's, our own 6166junkyarddog whenever I can. He's the only one who goes out west and brings back good sheemetal.
Charlie
62' SWB uni 223
66' F-100 Short/wide 352
78' F-350 dually dumpbed 400
12' F-150 5.0 3:73 LS
DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

The bad news is, these aren't Mustangs. So you can't mail order a new truck like you can a Mustang. :lol:
You are living in the best part of the country to find another hood or cab. Be glad you aren't here in the east, where they simply don't exist. :shock:
The suppliers 66fordtrucknut cites are the best in the business. Get their catalogs. Also, the classifieds on this site are very useful.
Welcome aboard!
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

After seeing what Max snagged as a parts truck I think I would go lookiing for sheetmetal In Texas, myself.. :shock:
[albumimg]110[/albumimg]
Last edited by Johnny Canuck on January 18, 2007, 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

EmSee.
Welcome to the club.
You actually have 3 members in Pasadena and a couple more right around you. Moose is in Dayton, Frank, Yvonne, and Chris are in Pasadena proper and BroncoTom, RatFinkMike, and I are in Friendswood/Pearland.
We have some more members in metro Houston too.
Drop me a line and we'll get together when the weather eases up a little.
U@ss --- in Pearland
port at houston dot rr dot com
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Welcome aboard, let's see some pics! :D
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
Truckfarmer

Post by Truckfarmer »

I'm wishing to find a resourceful aftermarket supplier for cabs, hoods and glass. I'm planning to place the Unibody on a shortened '75 F-350 frame (with a 460 BB) and use a Versailles rearend along with the rack-and-pinion steering set-up underneath.

If you are going to change the front end and rearend, why not use the frame designed for the Unibody? If it was me, I would use the stock frame and add an IFS, be it a Mustang II kit, a Dakota kit, or a Volare', Aerostar, or JAG. Search those topics here for LOTS more info. I am not a big fan of swapping frames where all the mounts have to be changed and fabricated. Just use the stock frame and save some time, money, and headaches. By all means use the 460 though.

Welcome to Slick 60's and to the upper 15% of Slick total ownership.
If you drove a Ford, you wouldn't need a good wrench!
Satinblack

Post by Satinblack »

Welcome to Slick60's!!!

Glad to hear you have a Uni! 61-63 is the true Slick60. Not sure why the other years are included....guess they were lonely :)

Satinblack
Last edited by Satinblack on January 18, 2007, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

WELCOME!!

there are a lot of you down in TX now. :shock:

I can't wait to see some pictures!

Don't be afraid to ask any questions (as lonk as it is not "how do I put a 350 in my truck?") :lol:

Be sure to read up on the frames and swapable body parts, the 61-64 are differant in a lot of ways than the 65-66.
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
EmSee

Post by EmSee »

Thanks for the welcome...

I mentioned swapping frames... I may end up just fabricating the entire frame, using the Mustang II front and then "backhalfing" it using the Versailles rear end. I'm not sure how the old frame will handle in the long term run with the torque of a beefed-up 460... as I said before, the truck was buried outside a horse stall for 14 years and I shovelled it out. I'd feel better about powdercoating the frame and replacing all the connecting pieces with new parts so I don't loose everything on the pavement.

I don't know if this is a taboo subject but... has any tried any of the "UsBody" fiberglass front ends or other parts? I'm considering buying one for the '62 Unibody since I'm planning a resto-rod style ride anyway... I found their site at:
http://www.usbody.com/Pages_Trucks/61-Ford.htm

I'm interested in any feed back on what is accepted within the established circles.
~~EmSee~~
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

EmSee wrote:I don't know if this is a taboo subject but... has any tried any of the "UsBody" fiberglass front ends or other parts? I'm considering buying one for the '62 Unibody since I'm planning a resto-rod style ride anyway... I found their site at:
http://www.usbody.com/Pages_Trucks/61-Ford.htm

I'm interested in any feed back on what is accepted within the established circles.

I don't think there are any objections from people in the club I've spoken too about using a tilt front end etc.

The reason most guys dont use them is price, i would suspect.

I was told by a Roddoors salesman that "Ford Truck guys are Frugal",, so there ya go. :lol:

the only thing that makes a lot of fur stand up around here is Chebby drivetrains.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

we all know the stock frame will hold a big block.

http://www.f-100xl.com/
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Moose
United States of America

Post by Moose »

Hello, my name is Moose and I am a confirmed slickaholic.........

Just messing with you. However, welcome to the texas chapter f the largest truck club around! I work in Laporte, and if there's anything you need or need a hand with just give us a shout ad we'll come running.

Mose
American born, German blood, Texan attitude..... And people wonder why they call me "Moose."

66 F-100 Too much to list
05 F250 The Tank
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

I think the general concensus is, "It's your baby, you rock it".
:lol: :lol:
Jim
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

Welcome

Before using that lincon junk look up rebuild parts for thet one off 3 year only rear....

A nine inch prepped with explorer brakes will do the job and has readily avalible parts at your local parts house.

Garbz
winr

Post by winr »

Hey EmSee.
Welcome aboard.

Richard.
All your Slicks are belong to us
EmSee

Post by EmSee »

The reason I'm using the Lincoln Versailles is the narrow width of the rear end and the disc brakes... I'm going to use some really wide tires and want to stay inside the fenders. I may even end up widening the wheel tub, thus another reason for backhalfing the truck.
~~EmSee~~