What was the PO thinking?

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Johnny Canuck
Canada

What was the PO thinking?

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Max mentioned we had a thread like this a long time ago.

On my '64, even though it was a straight axle, the farmer had cut up a twin I cross member, and fit it between the frame rails with a thousand washers for shims,so he could use the motor mounts for an FE.

Both my trucks had the obligatory chainsawed-out radio hole

My 64 had a bus driveshaft with a brake drum on it

My 63 was supposedly built by a body man, who didn't straighten out one single dent on the front of the box/back of the cab before he painted it.

It also came with some goofy K-mart digital add-on speedo, which he cut a hole in the dash plate for. I put a new gear on the cable on the transmission and the original speedo has worked fine ever since. A new gear probably cost about 1/5 of the price of the super-cheesy aftermarket speedo. :roll:

The cab gas tank was moved to the rear of the '63.
So, the PO made some humungous welded Aluminum speaker boxes that took up the same space as the gas tank used to. Used 150,000 screws to hold them in. After i spent a whole summer removing the hideous creations, I could move my seat back 2" further (important in these little cabs) In addition to that, he cut speakers in the doors. :cry:

There's more but that should get us started. :lol:
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

you really want to stir me up, eh?

guess i will get out the camera and show off some fine things done to slicks.

one of my faves is the cutout in one of my unis front fenders for an electrical outlet. inverters are cool but keep the outlet under the hood.

another is the 66 f250 parts truck, rubber on the rag joint must have broken so it was bolted together without one.

how many shop rags or other type stuff have you found in the cab-corners?
this could go on for a while
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Max
United States of America

Post by Max »

My 64 wasn't too bad when I saved it. It did have a lot of car parts on it - motor, homemade engine/tranny mounts, cheapie Sundial aftermarket gauges, nasty-ass seat. It has all been donated back to the dump world.

But when I removed the gas tank and cleaned out behind the seat, I found half a pack of Camels (old), a five dollar bill, all of the missing knobs from the dash with the white inserts and a cool factory inspection tag.

I definitely could've started off with a much, much worse project!
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

How 'bout holes cut in the hood with a smoke wrench for header dumps to come out blowing straight up in the air?
Jim
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

the one i paid the most for was pretty good.thats why its on my 66 4x4 frame.other than too many mirror holes in the doors there were no big surprises.
1966 F250 4x4
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
FORDBOYpete

Post by FORDBOYpete »

I got a 66 from a guy who had put a 351M/400 out of a late 70s Cougar Car. It was a 240 I-6 3Spd O/D with a D-44 rear gear when it was OEM. So everything was just sort of spliced in place. :cry: :lol:

One killer (litterely) "Add On" was a Cougar Steering Col held to the dashboard with angle Iron & Muffler clamps, so strg wheel was up near the ceiling and the manual valve selector rod went through a flame cut hole in the toe board of the cab. :shock:

When ya sat in the Drvr Seat and grasped the wheel it was like riding the Easy Rider Chopper Peter Fonda rode with "anal aperature ape hanger" handle bars. I've no clue how he drove it! :shock:

Plus it ate the Dana44. R/Frnt brake line was clamped off with Vice Grips. The engine mounts were angle Iron & steel fabrications resembling Modern Art. It also had a welded in place rear step & tow off of who knows what that was 8"-10" wider than the Styleside bed. :?: :roll: :?:

Had good sheet metal tho'. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

FBp 8)
Change is the Only Constant
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

When I first bought my 66, it had red vinyl covering the original headliner to match parts of the the seat. The PO decided he needed a sound system in there.
In addition to hacking out the dash with what appears to be a screwdriver & tin snips, he cut holes in the vinyl for 6x9 sized speakers. The vinyl was sandwichwed between the speakers & the speaker covers...in other words, the speakers simply hung in the vinyl. :? So with each corner you turned, you stood a good chance of getting whacked in the head by a speaker. :lol:
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

ouch !
1966 F250 4x4
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
adrianspeeder
United States of America

Post by adrianspeeder »

I'm an EE major and this took me awhile to even figure out what was done. Fused (blown) hot's tied to ground was the dumbest.

Bout 50+ feet of this speaker wire.

I at least got it to work afterwords.

The 66 has been pretty good, but electrical and audio WTF's appear. No less than 3 hacked in trailer connections and non workin' rear lights.

Fixed that with a new harness soldered, heat shrunk, and split tubed.

A Jeep radio with custom wood trim. (works suprizingly)

The '84 had custom installed foglights with romex.

Had to fix that with a whole custom harness.

I'll stop for now before I get more frustrated :oops:
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Adrian how did you get those pics of my wiring in my '64?
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
adrianspeeder
United States of America

Post by adrianspeeder »

I got the skillz yo...