It's Bedtime

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

Looking good so far.

I see that you are going with a relocated gas tank. What was the donor for the metal "shield" or filler protector?
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
64low-n-slow

Post by 64low-n-slow »

Bronco II. That's where I got the tank. Was also gonna use the gas door but I didn't like the configuration. The scrap yard is cutting me a door from a Explorer tomorrow. Gotta keep it all Blue oval!
64low-n-slow

Post by 64low-n-slow »

Wanted to update some photos. Things haven't gone according to my time line as far as getting this thing done, but I go out and take a bite every chance I get. Sun afternoon I got the Explorer gas door in and welded. Last night I got almost all the welds ground down, probably have about 20 welds left to dress. If the weather is nice this weekend, I may be able to finish sandblasting and get it into primer.

Wish me luck!

Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Lookin' good.... I like the idea of the round filler door as to the square one.... keep up the work and keep those pics coming...
64low-n-slow

Post by 64low-n-slow »

No new pics to post, but in interest of keeping the thread alive....along with my project... I spent the afternoons yesterday and today blasting and priming MOST of the outside of my bed. Tomorrow I'll replenish both sand and primer and work on finishing it this week.
64low-n-slow

Post by 64low-n-slow »

OK Folks. So here's where I'm at. I've been working on the bed for almost 2 months, give or take a day job, dental work, funeral, holidays, etc. Gotta give it a break. So, yesterday I bolted it back on the chassis in favor of knocking out some other items necessary to making it road-ready. Brake light switch - done, wiring gas gauge - done, fasten turn signal switch housing - done. To do: rear tires, wire taillights, bolt down seat, battery hold-down, figure out starting issue (truck will not start without booster).
I'm gonna throw a tag on and drive it a little.

Here's the most recent pics. Bed is primed in black epoxy. Mud work to come later.

Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Nice work... looking good...
Truckrat
United States of America

New bed floor

Post by Truckrat »

Wow, that bed looks great! Did you fab that fuel pipe filler cover, or did it come off another bed as a stock piece. If it did, what year truck did it come from? TR
64low-n-slow

Post by 64low-n-slow »

Truckrat - It came from a Bronco II.
Truckrat
United States of America

Fuel Filler Cover

Post by Truckrat »

Ah, good to know. Thanks! I am planning a tank swap on my 63 and wanted something like that to cover up the filler pipe.
Good choice and thanks for sharing. TR
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

the bump sides had a similar piece for the extra underbed tank. kinda hard to find, but they do pop up from time to time.

truck is looking good 64.
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

Looks good. Someday I'll will have to do the same to my bed.

How did you drop your front end? Not sure if you shared that with use or not.
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
64low-n-slow

Post by 64low-n-slow »

Dot - It's Mustang II from TCI. Haven't driven it yet to decide how I like it...that may happen today!!!!!
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

Your truck is looking great. I like the ride height. Mine should be about the same when it's done.

Kevin
kstones63
95 F350 Flatbed Dually Diesel
Reds Rod Shop

Post by Reds Rod Shop »

Me likes the bed and the mods for the under bed tank. Do the Bronco II tanks fit under the bed pretty good? What years? How many gallons do they hold? Last but not least, have you installed yours yet, if so do you have any pics? I'm close to having to start working on a tank for "Money Pit" just curious if there is a better way than fabbing up a tank from scratch. Thanks, Red
brent460

Post by brent460 »

Ive read some where that late 60s early 70s mustangs gas thanks fit perfectly in between the frame rails if you want to put the filler neck in the bed floor.
"Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine."
Elvis Presley
Truckfarmer2

Post by Truckfarmer2 »

Even harder to find is the 61-67 Econoline gas tank. It has the same dimensions as the Mustang but has a side fill.
If you continue to buy imports, where will your children work?
Reds Rod Shop

Post by Reds Rod Shop »

I also noticed that you are running a mustang II front end. What brand and length column did you go with or did you get a donor from another vehicle?
Low-n-Slow

Post by Low-n-Slow »

HeyGuys

Had to establish a new log in, but it's me.

To answer as many questions as possible...

Bronco II tank is 23 GL. Fits great between the rails. I DID cut a hole through the frame rail for the filler (someone else had done the same on another side-fill install). I used direct replacement tank straps from NAPA. Will try to put up some pics when I get home this week. It DOES hang down about 1" lower than the center section. But the install was a piece of cake. As for the year on the donor, I think they were all the same.

Red's - I cut the original steering shaft and adapted it using components from speedway. (Got about $100 bucks in the mods) NOTE: Save yourself the trouble if running headers - get the T-bird style. 2 1/4 " exhaust pipe bends easier than headers!.
Reds Rod Shop

Post by Reds Rod Shop »

Thanks for the info. Red