my 64 Chop top

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Shadow

Re: my 64 Chop top

Post by Shadow »

That's Bitchin! I Want To Ride On That Seat Strapped To The Bed. Hows-About A "Slickstock-Shuttle"? :lol: .........
Kid
United States of America

Post by Kid »

I have taken alot of crap for not cleaning out the bed before I drove it but we were so pumped up that we didnt take the time,LOL. Only lost a couple things and I went and picked them up when we got done.Had the seat stored on the back of the box like that just to keep it out of the way in the garage, it would be cool to leave it there and cruise around. could put one more in there facing the other way with a table in the middle. It was very motivating to take it for that test drive, been working on it every nite when I get home from work and every morning before I go this week
There are some Days I should not be let to go into the public without adult supervision
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

What's your latest plan on how to do the windshield?
Kid
United States of America

Post by Kid »

well I had one cut and I broke it and I decided if someone else could cut one so could I.I am making a template out of a piece of plexiglass and going to glue that it after I mark the windshield to use to get it down to SS and when I get back I am going to cut one and see what happens
There are some Days I should not be let to go into the public without adult supervision
grump

Post by grump »

Why is it that all the magazines do articles on how to chop a top but none of them address the most important issue, which is how do you get your windows cut down and made to fit.
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

I have a few really old articles on chopping tops and they all state that the toughest part is the glass. You can shape metal but glass is a different story.

Remember, you don't always have to cut the glass, sometimes you can cut the metal and hide the glass (still think you need to measure this one out Darrell).

It's important to remember never chop metal where the glass has a curve or taper. Always remove metal where you can remove glass. Some even suggest cutting the glass first if it's curved/tapered and making the metal fit the glass.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
Kid
United States of America

Post by Kid »

bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

What a bummer! My guess is that the window does not have a flat profile from the top pinch weld to the bottom pinch weld. As you removed material from the top, it moved the edge away from the top of the cab as it was cut into a bulge. I suspect there is a reason why I see a lot of abandoned chop projects that do not have a windshield. You might have a better result splitting the difference and taking part of the amount off the top and part off the bottom. I hope you have a few junk windshields to play with.
longcabjohn
United States of America

Post by longcabjohn »

Tapered cut on sides, maybe 1/2" at top to none at bottom. I am guessing but that is what I would try.

Johnny
If restoring a ford was easy, chevy guys could do it.
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Post by FarmMotorSports »

If the top corners are rested against the pinch weld in the corners, you will still have a gap at the center?

I'm bettin so. Which means reprofiling the center of the roof to match.

Or remove pinch weld from the bottom corners up and reinstall a new pinch weld to match position of glass when flush with body... (May require making the windshield a glue in or an alternative type/profile seal.)
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
mercuryv8
Canada

Post by mercuryv8 »

Can you fit it onto the top and make the gap at the bottom? What does the gap along the pillars look like?
Kid
United States of America

Post by Kid »

I think what I need to do is trim the sides so it can lay back, it is hitting on the bottom and sides and that is what is holding it out. Going to trim both sides back and get it to fit top to bottom and build a template to fit the sides and go from there.