my 64 Chop top

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Truckrat wrote:Darrell your truck is coming along great. What color do you have in mind for it? TR

:P Yellow!
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
Kid
United States of America

Post by Kid »

right now I am not even thinking about painting it. I plan to just drive it and enjoy it.
There are some Days I should not be let to go into the public without adult supervision
Kid
United States of America

Re: my 64 Chop top

Post by Kid »

WELL. since foodstick is making so much progress I am starting to think more about working on the chop top again. Talk to foodstick today and asked if he could stop over Sunday and help get it moved to the other bay in my garage. Might actually get some more done to it...........Kid
There are some Days I should not be let to go into the public without adult supervision
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Kid I know the feeling I picked up an 88 crown vic recently and am in the process of finding the garage again so I can get to work pulling my 62 uni off its frame and the crown vic off its frame :D.

Rick
if it aint broke fix it till it is :D
Kid
United States of America

Post by Kid »

Looking at Lance truck can get you motivated especially when you see what he brought home and what it looks like now
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Kid: Always good to hear SOMEONE is making some progress on a project:):).....and for us "johnny come latelies", do you think you could fix the pic links (a problem from when the forum was moved to new software package??) so the rest of us who haven't see it can have a look-see??

Cheers!
James
ironminer

Post by ironminer »

x2 would like to see the pictures!
Kid
United States of America

Post by Kid »

chop top went into the other bay of the garage and got a bunch of stuff moved around so I have room to work, foodstick was here to help today and he can be a great motivator. Got alot of things planned out and what I am going to do next. Got lots to do but it really isnt far from being able to drive it. Brakes hooked up, clutch adjusted and wiring and it will be able to move under its own power. ...............Kid
Kid
United States of America

Post by Kid »

foodstick has put a list in my head about what needs to be done to the truck to get it up and running. It really isnt to far from that right now. To move under its own power it really just needs the wiring harness. Engine, trans and clutch are all in it. Got all the brake lines run to the MC, just need to hook them up. I need to trim the inside of the back wheel well lips, the tires rub on the inside. I could just get different wheels with different back spacing but trimming the inside of the wheel well is cheaper,LOL. Going to pull the front clip and build a bracket to hold the radiator while I work on the fenders, inner fenders , and core support. Going to go see the guy who told me a year ago he would cut the windshield on Tuesday and see if he will still do it, should have had it to him a LONG time ago. I wil try to post a few more pics as I go along, as most of you have heard a 100 times before, I am working on the truck again. foodstick can be a great motivator just by watching to see what he has done in the last few months on his.

I do have some wiring questions but I will post them in truck talk. >................Kid
Kid
United States of America

Post by Kid »

Windshield gets cut next Tuesday morning. Hope he doesnt break it, he said with old stock windows he has a 90% success rate. New windows he drops to about 80%. He says I can watch but I have to be dead silent, that is going to be the hard part. Going to get foodsticks old window rubber from the uni and cut it to fit, It was only in there a short time. Next will be the wiring. I am going to look for the main plug that separates the wires from the cab to under the hood while we are in Minnesota at Back to the 50's next weeknd. Going to see if I can find the plugs I need for all the lights............Kid
Robert

Post by Robert »

what happend to the pics
Kid
United States of America

Post by Kid »

I think the pics got lost when we went to the new site formatt. Im will see if I can put some more up tonite
Kid
United States of America

Post by Kid »

dropped the windshield off this morning, He was suposed to let me watch but I think he had second thoughts on showing me how to do it, I am waiting for him to call me that it is done. I see no reason why I can not cut one myself. I did some u tube rersearch and Gerry sent me a link to a video on how to do it. Lance and I have a couple extra windshields so we are going to experiment and see if we can do it.
Lets see we shortened a driveshaft outselves and it works just fine
we chopped a roof and it looks great
built a couple nice trucks from rust buckets.
We can do anything we decide we can do

OK I am convinced that we can cut a windshield
Kid
United States of America

Post by Kid »

Guy just called and my windshileld is done. He said it did crack but is usuable. Lance is going to go pick it up for me and will see it when I go get him to go pick up his Uni. I am SUPER MOTIVATED now. Should have the truck driving soon...........Kid
Kid
United States of America

Post by Kid »

how many wires will be going through the firewal. I am looking at the plugs and there are so many pin combinations. Might end up just putting a couple trailer plugs in there..............Kid
Kid
United States of America

Post by Kid »

WELL , last nite was not a great nite. Lance and I were talking and he asked if I had even held the windshield up to see if it was close and I said no so he said he would be there shortly and we would check it out. It went down hill from there, It don't fit. It will be made to fit but for some reason with the bottom setting inplace the top set about 3 in out from the lip that is supposed to hold it in place. We now have to remove the lip around both top corners and most of the way down each side and rebuild it all so the windshield will lay back a little from its orig position. Not 100% sure why but that is the way it is. We got most of it cut out last nite and I am going to do some trimming later when I get back home and after we get it layed in Lance will rebuild the lip and instead of using the rubber to hold it in we are going to glue it in like the newer windshields are held in and then glue the rubber seal around the out side after we split it in half. It wasnt the results I was hoping for but there is a solution.

Thanks to Lance who has made the whole top chop deal a reality for me as if it were not for him I would not have it, oh wait if it wasn't for him I might have a finished truck now, No probably not.

Lance did all the planning and measuring and all I did was cut, grind, and weld where he told me to so when it is done and if you see it and think it looks great remember the main one to compliment mis him............................Kid

I am NOT giving up those guages,LOL
ironminer

Post by ironminer »

bummer on the set back, Hope it works out easily.
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

Basically we didn't realize how drastic the compound curves change four inches below the top of the old window. We knowingly started this project unaware of the difficulties :P

The more I read about it, the more I realize we were not over our head, we were sitting on the bottom of the pool hahahah

Kid says the guages are going in there if we have to install something out of a Pella windows catalog ! hahahah
Kid
United States of America

Post by Kid »

I didnt say the truck would be safe and legal I just said I would drive it there under its own power and yes if I need to use Pella windows or saran wrap I will do it,LOL.

It is only a minor set back and we will prevail. We didnt know what we were doing when we started this project and it worked out well so this window issue is no different and will work out fine.

Like we have always said just because we don't know what we are doing won't stop us from doing it............Kid
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Ah hell just get a pecan windiw made and flush mount it and don't worry about cutting the seal inhalf.

Rick
if it aint broke fix it till it is :D