my 64 Chop top

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Kid
United States of America

Post by Kid »

Thanks guys. It has been cut up since Oct 2002 and we tore it down long before that. That clock is keeping me motivated, I just think if I can average 2 hrs a Day I have more than enough time to get it done. Once it is painted then it is ( should be ) easy to finish. Waiting for the wheather to cooperate to haul it to the paint booth
There are some Days I should not be let to go into the public without adult supervision
64low-n-slow

Post by 64low-n-slow »

And here I thought I had a long way to go!!!!

Looking good. Keep it up.
Kid
United States of America

Post by Kid »

HUGE SETBACK

Well the paint booth deal fell through, Guy who has it had something come up and it was agreed as long as he didnt need it it was mine, o well. Going to just put it together like it is and make sure everything fits and that I have everything I need. I will then have a bay here next Winter where it will be torn down again and painted. I think I can get it all together and maybe if the paint booth frees up in the spring I can take it down there and tear it apart and paint the inside and around the windows before they go in so next Winter I dont have to do a total tear down. I WILL have it up and running by Spring so I can do a few Shows before SS with it. I am headed out to the garage Today to do some work on it and hope to have the cab bolted down and engine all bolted in place. I need to pull the front cab mounts and cut a hole for the bolts and rubber mounts to go in and it is set. I think I will set the trans in place and get it bolted in and then start on the pedals and other such stuff needed.
There are some Days I should not be let to go into the public without adult supervision
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

That is the way to go Darrell! Don't get stuck on one hold up - go around it and move forward.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Kid
United States of America

Post by Kid »

Greg, Not going to get sidetracked now. I got the front mounts all ready to go in and need to go get some longer bolts and it will be bolted in place Tonite, The engine is set in and 2 of the 3 bolts are in place. Going to try to set the column and box in yet today so it will steer
Truckrat
United States of America

Top Chopping by Kid

Post by Truckrat »

I need to have a business called "Have Paint Booth, Will Travel" Email Truckrat/Oklahoma City. I have run across so many guys who need to get something done on painting and their booth place falls out on them. What a bunch of crap that is when you make a deal with someone and it goes away. After seeing your two tone longbed truck, I know you hold your own when it comes to paint, Darrell. But what if the paint booth came to you???? Do you see where I am going with this?
TR
Reds Rod Shop

Post by Reds Rod Shop »

Nice chop. How much did you take out of it?
Kid
United States of America

Post by Kid »

Gary, Yea I know where you are headed, Would be a good idea to build one on a trailer but width would be a issue. Would have to have slide outs like campers do to have room. the guy who has the paint bay is a freind of mine and that is where I painted my 65 and he just had something come up that he needs the bay for something else. We agreed it was mine to use all winter unless he needed it for something and he needed it for awhile.

Red, We took 4in out of it all the way around
Kid
United States of America

Post by Kid »

cab is bolted down, engine is almost bolted in
pedals are ready to go in , just need some fine thread bolts, column is ready to go in
got to tighten the front suspension bolts today
one wire alt is mounted, just need to fab a bottom bracket
after the colum goes in going to put the left door on
going to try to drag all the parts boxes down from the attic today
going to see if I can get the trans from the shed and set it in

if you are a old fat man don't build a lowered truck, got under it yesterday and thought I was going to have to wait till my wife got home to jack the truck up so I could get back out,LOL. After I get everything in i will need to cary blocks to drive up on if I ever need to work on while we are away from home
Thunderboy

Post by Thunderboy »

Not usually a fan of chop tops, but I like yours! Most people hack too much for my taste, and make the vehicle look out of proportion, but I think you nailed it!
Drew

66 F250 Frame swap, EFI 408W, ZF 5-speed swap (still!) in progress
63 Falcon Futura EFI 331W, T5, but not much progress... Slicks First!!!
Reds Rod Shop

Post by Reds Rod Shop »

Thanks for the info. L<ooks good. Keep the pictures and updates coming.
Casey 65
United States of America

Post by Casey 65 »

After seeing the photos of your truck with the chop. I REALLY WANT TO CHOP MINE! :thumright: Yes, I'm excited... LOL
Your truck looks so very cool (or bitchin' if you ain't JC) :rotflmao:
Kid
United States of America

Post by Kid »

go ahead and do it, You can have it done in time for SS.
Kid
United States of America

Post by Kid »

got most of the brake lines ran tonite and the dual MC mounted. going to finish the lines and see if I can get the trans slid under it tomorrow nite. Talked to a glass guy and he told me how to cut the winshield, if they can do it so can I . We will give it a shot on a used window and see what happens,
Casey 65
United States of America

Post by Casey 65 »

How did cutting the glass go today????
Reds Rod Shop

Post by Reds Rod Shop »

Many years ago, we chopped the top on a beetle. We taped out the glass with an industrial duct tape and used a sand blaster to blast away the unwanted glass. A little time consuming but it worked pretty good.
Kid
United States of America

Post by Kid »

AAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH, Been working on the doors tonite. Got the latches in the right side and it shuts and latches then I went on to the window parts. Cant fricking remember how they all go bqack together and I need to figure out how they go back in AND need to cut 4in out of the channel in the front. I am sure I will get it figured out as I do have extra doors I can look at.
Kid
United States of America

Post by Kid »

One hour a nite minimum. Got more done tonite. need to just figure out how the divider bar goes back in and see how much I need to cut off it.
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Kid, I dont think your going to get it in!, you may have to measure from the top of door down to the mid mounting screw hole in the door.
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
Kid
United States of America

Post by Kid »

both doors close and latch and the outside handles works. Got one divider bar in place and just need to reattatch the top little braket that holds it to the top of the door. Had to cut about 3 3/4 in off the top. Looks like it is in there at a funky angle but it seems to measure even front to back all the way up. Got to build a window frame for the wing window next. i am just going to mount it solid in the door. Got to pick up a Proportioning valve tomorrow and then the brake lines will be in and done. I will then start mounting front sheetmetal. Got to finish up the Alt braket so I don't have to lean across a fender to work on it first.