Kick Panel Vents

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

BigTim

Kick Panel Vents

Post by BigTim »

I am about to revamp the stereo in the 65. I am thinking about building fiberglass 6.5 apeaker pods to go on the high side of the kick panels. Then I would probably upholster the kick panels and pods to match the interior scheme. Of course this would make the kick panel vents inoperable, not that I use them any way.

What are the pros and cons of doing this. Would I need to go ahead and seal them with a light bead of silicone, or do they need to drain? Can I block off where they get the feed of air from? Any other questions I should be asking?

I really want to replace the access panel on the door with a set of Bob Drake storage pockets, and not cut holes in the door for speakers. The sound would be better with the speakers in pods, and they could be more easily returned to stock than a 5 inch hole in the door. Not that I am real worried about it ever being returned to stock. Also I would hate for speaker wire to detract from those fine strap hinges that Henry blessed us with. :lol:

Oh and long term plans include an AC.
Slick Fan

Re: Kick Panel Vents

Post by Slick Fan »

You don't use your vents in the summertime? I thought those were great! :D
BigTim wrote:
What are the pros and cons of doing this. Would I need to go ahead and seal them with a light bead of silicone, or do they need to drain? Can I block off where they get the feed of air from?

The air enters at the grill at the base of the windshield. Eliminating the vents & blocking off the openings shouldn't cause any problems. Any water entering the area runs past the vent opening & exits out the bottom of cab, in front of the lower hinge area...well, unless it's plugged with leaves-n-dirt. :D

You'd probably want to enclose the rear of the speaker though, so the back doesn't get wet.
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

that area does need to drain.all the stuff that falls in the cowl thru the vent behind the hood goes down there.if you could find a speaker that would fit (not as much room as you think) it would have to be waterproof.
also, the intake hose for the heater is on the passenger side, you cant block that off, you could remove it completely but then you will not have as good of heat.
i have some doors with holes cut out for speakers i dont like that look at all.
best thing i have actually seen are the access panel speakers sold by one of the members.they are complete and ready to install.
kills the door pocket idea though and i like the pockets.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
BigTim

Post by BigTim »

The speakers will not actually be in the vents, they will be in a custom built surface mount pod. But part of the base of the pod would cover part of the vent door.

Ice will water actually drain into the inside of cab throught the vent. Granted I live in a fairly dry climate and do my best not to drive the Slick in anything other than dry sunny weather. So I have not noticed first hand.
61ford

Post by 61ford »

what about shaving the vents?ive thought about doing it to mine to make it look better ill never use those fresh air vents anyway and all its good for is a place for leaves and needles to pile up
Ryan

61 Ford f100 Unibody short bed
351w/Aod
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

BigTim wrote:
Ice will water actually drain into the inside of cab throught the vent.

Water shouldn't flow through the vent openings, since they are about 6" (+/-) from the bottom of the cab.
You should take one out & scope it out, they're easy to get in & out. :D You may even find lots-o-crud in the bottom, that you never knew was there. :shock:
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
BigTim

Post by BigTim »

Just got a quote on the fiberglass pods, $300 :shock:

No thanks, I think I will just put them in the holes the PO cut into the access panels. Maybe if I dynamat the door it will still sound OK.
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Tim.. thats where I put my 6x9's and they work really well (in the door panel).
You do need to put sound deadner in the door skins though. Dynamat is great but expensive.
I used the bubble wrap style insulation with the aluminum on both sides from Home Depot and glued it to the inside of the door skins with liquid nails.
I also made some covers to go over the top of the speakers out of thin Alumimum to keep the water off of them, just in case.
I have some pictures some where I'll post when I find them.
Will we see you at Pate in April??
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Tim.
Here are a couple of shots of the door trim and speaker installation.
The door panel insert is formed out of thin aluminum and covered with the tweed fabric, installed with original clips.
I used s.s. trim washers I got from BoatUS on the stainless screws for the speaker panel.
The inside of the door is covered with bubble insulation from Home Depot and glued on with Liquid Nails.
There is a 1/2 round aluminum cover over the top of the speakers to keep water off (as if I'd drive in the rain).
Got to be careful with the speaker covers so you don't interfere with the window glass going up and down.
The yellow looking picture was taken inside the garage.
The other one looks like the real color of the interior.
U@ss
[albumimg]1524[/albumimg]
[albumimg]1523[/albumimg]
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
BigTim

Post by BigTim »

Looks good Skip. Since the PO had already cut holes in the doors, I am going to put the speaker there. I was thinking a 6.5 round, but a 6x9 would carry a lot more sound. Thanks for responding to this topic.

Pate, big maybe. I have a daughter that is graduating in the Spring, and wifey is planning a bunch of different stuff. If she does not clog the weekend up with a family gathering or such then yes I am in. I am going to suggest that would be a good weekend to leave open.
William-in-St. George

Fresh Air vents

Post by William-in-St. George »

I'd keep the vents. They are the only way to clean out the lower cowl area. If this area gets packed with debris it will rust your truck.
When you have 90% of what you want, think twice about insisting on the other 10%! Thomas Sowell
DanSanDiego2000

Door Panels.... ready to install

Post by DanSanDiego2000 »

BigTim,
I struggled with ideas on what to do, then once I made panels for myself, I started making them and selling them to others, too.

Check them out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130072909367&rd=1,1

I have made special offers for members before, and I can surely work with you and others to do something to sweeten the deal.

Take care.

Dan