junkyards&measuringtapes&haggeling

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

truckerdaddy66

junkyards&measuringtapes&haggeling

Post by truckerdaddy66 »

Last time I was logged in I said I was going to buy a camaro front suspenision 1998 to 2002. Well me and my buddy went to Houston's junkyard alley! In a half hour found one allready pulled from a V8 transam.Did some measuring and took some measurements from body. It is complete.I ended up buying It for 270.00 w/tax, It started off at 650.00 make em an offer you never know. Well this weekend I hope to start my projet weather permiiting,will let you know,later! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Yo, T.D.
Please tell me you're not going to use a brand X motor in your Slick. No matter, Jack in Freeport is a sinner too and we still like him.
You need to get in touch with the Houston contengent. We'd like to get to know you and your buddy and include you guys in our little adventures.
BroncoTom and I have withdrawal if we don't get our junk yard fix every Saturday.
We know some neat places, just ask some of the other guys 8)
Uncle Skip in Pearland (that would be south .... Houston)
U@ss
port at houston dot rr dot com
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
Truckfarmer

Post by Truckfarmer »

I was hoping to talk you out of the GM clip. It is very labor intensive and very easy to screw up a truck if done wrong. IF you are going to use the Camaro subframe, read this article,,, http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/ ... _Five.html . It is from FTE and is part of an eleven part series on front suspension choices. The GM is one of the least desirable of the 11. The articles were written for the 1948-60 trucks but the info is still valid for a Slick 60's as the frames are the same width.
GOOD LUCK!
I suggest this series of articles to evrybody because it gives you the pro's and con's of each choice.
If you drove a Ford, you wouldn't need a good wrench!
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

They wanted $650 for a subframe?? :shock:

Damn, I would have dickered them down too! :D
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
douglloyd

Post by douglloyd »

I'm staying out of the Camaro thing. This thread is not friendly to those who put non-ford products in Slicks.

When I'm prowling a U-pick-apart yard, I scout up what I'm looking for first. Usually it's a collection of stuff. Once I've located the things I can pull, I'll cruise back to the office to make sure of:

1.Price? Nail this down before you start, for obvious reasons
2.Condition? Make sure they understand when you are picking complete assemblies, not just parts (including harnesses, couplings, mounts, etc)
3.Vehicle? Is this vehicle available for picking apart or is the yard preserving a complete unit for resale?
4.Safety? That transmission buried in the mud under two other vehicles may not be safe to pull until the yard tractor moves them around.
5.Alternatives? The yard may have another on the shelf - no picking needed.
6.Bonus? Ask - just because you did not find what you need, the yard may know where to look.

I have the best luck haggling when I lump a bunch of stuff together for a single price.

Best way there is to spend a nice day outdoors<g>
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

No, we don't usually get nasty here even if the perp does commit blasphamy and uses brand X stuff unless its a deliberate attempt to stir up trouble.
This thread is not trying to do that.
There will be some of the usual good natured kidding but nothing like what you might get on another board.
While most of us would like to see the Slick stay all Ford, it is the owners truck and they can do what ever they like.
And like we say in Texas, if you can dish it out you better be able to take it.
A day without a junkyard run is like a day without sunshine :wink:
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?