robert's 61 F350

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

rwhistles
United States of America

robert's 61 F350

Post by rwhistles »

this should sound familiar. that ole what started as routine.I was just going to replace the temp gauge sending unit.thermostat and radiater cap. autozone had to order sending unit,gave me wrong thermostat and gasket but they got the rad cap right.next trip to town picked up sending unit but they couldn't find a thermostat, got a refund and went to napa low and behold an older woman found a thermostat and gave me a piece of gasket material scrap. in the process decided to change 2 gauge IC for a 4 gauge I had.you guessed it ,another trip to town for some 8 gauge wire and elec. ends.oh yea forgot to mention the trip to town for fittings to plumb the oil pressure sending unit,just another minor hurddle. but it' done

before

after with all gauges working hey lights to

I put a 190 thermostat in but it opens before the temp gauge reaches 160 and thats on two different gauges. could I have gotten the wrong sending unit?
I know this is minor to what some of you are doing but I like driveing my truck to much. besides I have a 66 to rebuild.
1961 F350 pick up
1966 F350 camper
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

All the trips were worth it Whistles....I think the cluster with all the gauges looks awesome!!!!! I did the same upgrade to the gauge cluster that you did, with the Bronco set up, but went one step further and installed white faces and stripped the surround to the bright aluminum..... A simple upgrade that turned out looking sweet... Have you got pics of the truck this is going in?? I like seeing interior shots showing off the dashes....

rwhistles
United States of America

Post by rwhistles »

anthony. where did you get the white faces for your gauges? have seen that done before and would like to do the same. they look great. there are pics of my truck here just a few days after it arrived

http://fordtruk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13918
1961 F350 pick up
1966 F350 camper
Reds Rod Shop

Post by Reds Rod Shop »

So is the entire gage cluster out of a Bronco? I really likes the looks of that.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

as for the overlay kit... here it is...
http://www.whitegauges.net/products/196 ... auges.html
This is his web site... They turned out real nice. I got mine off E-bay from him... here is a link to some....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1961-196 ... 1934wt_874
Red, yes, the entire speedo and all the gauges are a Bronco assembly. just took my unit out and interchanged the part you see in the link pic of the bronco cluster with the one that was in my assembly and bolted it right back in. Easy upgrade and I like the looks of it. (no aftermarkets hanging below the dash) A/C will be hanging under my dash when comp;ete...
rwhistles
United States of America

Post by rwhistles »

thanks anthony for the link. I like the ones on his website better. all 4 have names on them. on ebay they only names on 2. BTW these gauge clusters also came in some of the f500/600 trucks thats where I used to get mine before I found ebay. didnt know they came in broncos.
1961 F350 pick up
1966 F350 camper
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Cool... from what I had researched.... most, not all, but most f100s had 2 gauges and 2 lights, but most of the Broncos had 4 gauges in them stock. It was much easier to find the bronco cluster than an actual f series cluster with 4 gauges in it..LOL
I had never thought of looking in the bigger trucks.(over the f250s)
I had bought a set off of this guy when he was first getting started for my GMC. I liked them so well that I looked him back up for the ones in my Slick. He had changed screen names on E-bay. but I still found him.
Image Image
I (did in the GMC and I AM in the Slick) am going to install amber marker light bulbs behind the dash in place of the clear bulbs so the dash will have an Orange tint to it when the lights are on. AT one time I had a pic of the GMC with them on but that pic is long gone I guess, can't find it.
Reds Rod Shop

Post by Reds Rod Shop »

Thanks for the info. There are 2 of the Bronco clusters on Ebay right now. I'm gonna see if I can pick up one of them for ole red.
Reds Rod Shop

Post by Reds Rod Shop »

I purchased a bronco cluster for ole red. Do i need to change out any of the sending units before the swap? What wires have to be changed? Red
rwhistles
United States of America

Post by rwhistles »

warmed up today so I got a little work done on the truck.front end was a little loose and wonted to wander a bit going down the road so I checked for lost motion and found it in the drag link. luckley I had a new one that I bought many years ago for the 66 but never got to put it on.got that done and took it down the road ,still a little loose so I adjusted the gear box but havent had a chance to try it out. will go to town later tonight and see if that took care of the problem
1961 F350 pick up
1966 F350 camper
rwhistles
United States of America

Post by rwhistles »

well have taken the ole truck to town several times since workiing on the steering. drives much better now but still has a bit of wanderlust wants to dart to the right or left every now and then. alignment will probably help also. warmed up today so got a little more work done.

before

after

different bumper didn't paint it cause a pretty bumper on it wouldn't look right.also got the reese hitch put on.

anybody need a well built ugly bumber?

still have to wire up a trailer hook up
1961 F350 pick up
1966 F350 camper
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Robert, what front tyres are you running?
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
rwhistles
United States of America

Post by rwhistles »

7.50x17 bias ply. I figure they are part of the problem but thats what came on it and have to make do with them till I decide which way to go with it. I'm leaning toward 8 lug axels but want to find a set of 8 lug 19.5 rims first.
1961 F350 pick up
1966 F350 camper
rwhistles
United States of America

Post by rwhistles »

well I have been driveing my truck daily all week just getting to know it better. my first trips to town were only 2 miles one way. since my first couple trips I have taken it to the next town over which is about 12 miles. that gave the bias tires time to warm up and most of the steering problems that were left dissapeared.will have to get radials all the way around.
have had it up to 70 once or twice but will cruise a 55-60. I'm getting used to the rpm's now and dosen't bother me like at first. didn't want to paint the ole truck but found some rust on the hood that will turn into rust through in a few years so will take care of that and get a new paint job. could paint it in oil based enamel that way it could oxidize naturaly in a few years.just have to wait and see.
1961 F350 pick up
1966 F350 camper
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

i like that truck robert. it is really cool.
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

ezernut9mm wrote:i like that truck robert. it is really cool.

If he hadn't bought it - it would probably be here, well maybe - I could be sleeping it somewhere else too, LOL.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

i never saw it on c/l. i need to search better.
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

:D Robert, it sounds like you are having a whale of a time with your slick!, and that's what their for!, goodonya!
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
Brian Taylor
United States of America

Post by Brian Taylor »

I like the new rear bumper. The problem with your old one was it was full of cats. They make a funny noise at highway speed. :D
1966 Ford F-100 LWB 300
sgettin

Post by sgettin »

i want to do the same conversion to pressure gauge and generator gauge. do i need to find a cluster set up this way or can i convert my current cluster(it's set up same as rhwhistles "before" picture).

i want to retain the original speedo milage. also to be honest i don't know if there is such a thing as a generator gauge or if alternators are the only thing that came with a gauge.

thanks for any guidence.
scott