Vacum Booster Substitute

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

62 UNI

Vacum Booster Substitute

Post by 62 UNI »

Anyone..........change the single brake res. for a updated unit?

My Uni has already been changed to front gm style disc set up & factory drum in the rear.......

I picked up a dual master from Wilwood (GM replacement) & would like to also add the power brake vacum booster BUT........ would like to save a bit o space - more so than the GM large styled boosters.......

Anyone use something different?? Will a smaller booster effect the overall brake performance?? Or am I stuck with one of those big monsters?

Any suggestions would be appreciated........

Paul
mikecarson

Post by mikecarson »

A smaller diameter with dual diaphrams will give the same performance. Not sure I'd go less than 8 inch dual.
Mike C
64 CC, Crown Vic project
62 CC
67short 94 F150, 433W
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive body, but to skid in sideways - body worn out and screaming: Woo Hoo, what a ride!"
62 UNI

Post by 62 UNI »

I'll start looking........

Paul
ELpolacko

Post by ELpolacko »

I will add this to your quest.

Aftermarket power boosters are not as sophisitcated as OEM units. The intake valving in them is not as progressive and will allow atmospheric pressure in much more rapidly giving you a relatively small duty cycle.

I use 1985 Ford Ranger power boosters with great success. They are 9" in diameter and are designed to be use with low displacement vacuum of a four cylinder engine.

If diameter is a real disadvantage, may I suggest you pick up a hydroboost from a 70's vintage Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser. Much more compact than standard ones because the accumulator is built into the unit instead of external. And will accept your GM power booster.
If you do need to get in touch, please use my Email at info@industrialchassisinc.com or post a message on my Facebook Page

Thank you,
Steve
mikecarson

Post by mikecarson »

I think I'll follow your guidance, ELp. The booster that came with my Crown Vic is HUGE. Been looking for something smaller, myself.
Mike C
64 CC, Crown Vic project
62 CC
67short 94 F150, 433W
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive body, but to skid in sideways - body worn out and screaming: Woo Hoo, what a ride!"